PDA

View Full Version : Strawberries, whats the score

dekay
23-07-09, 12:57 AM
I have had a strawberry plant in me garden since Apr and only had 1 off it so far, its spreading around the garden as i pin it down and theres loads of new plants but no sign of anything where a strawberry would grow off, whats going on.

BuddyBoy
23-07-09, 01:27 AM
LOL, you need the flowers to make the berries, to get the flowers you need the sun.

Are they in a sunny spot?

dekay
23-07-09, 01:51 AM
They were till the school holiday summer cloud came over, only thing thats loving it is the carrots which i reckon i will be bringing a 100 up of in next few weeks.

BuddyBoy
23-07-09, 12:11 PM
https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/500/early-carrots.jpg

Those are my early carrots for salads, a bit stunted, however for pot grown root veg, not bad. I grow all my carrots, parsnips and pots in pots for ease of harvest.

Back to the straws though, they needs loads of sun to bear proper fruits, south facing spot all the way, they will also need straw under the plants to keep what berries you get, off the ground for fear of rotting.

And you know a strawberry plant only lasts 2 seasons? The third season it will bear tasteless fruits, and be suceptable to rots and diseases, so you have to take the runners and regularly replace your main body of plants, each plant should throw out at least 3 runners, making 3 new plants.

Best way to start runners is put a pot of soil under the runner, and plant it up, when it has taken seperate if from the mother plant, and you can over winter them in pots before you plant the new crop the following year.

I used to grow copious amounts of straws for my mums jam, shes a bit old for jam making now, so i dont keep them anymore, however they were one of my favourite harvests. I also used to grow alpine straws too, in pots, lovely sweet fruits if a little small, but you cant beat the english straws in my opinion that slightly acidic flavour is truly superb.

BB :)

Syrinx
30-07-09, 06:34 PM
keep an eye out for squirrles too ..... they really like strawberries too hahaha

puffin da erb
19-09-09, 09:11 PM
elo im new to growing and am growing a bit of ganja just wundered what fruit and veg can i grow in my house cuz i dont have a garden will my strawberrys and that grow in my house or do they need natrual sunlight ?

dekay
19-09-09, 10:48 PM
Check this mate, u can grow anything depending on size of room of course.
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?t=13427

TheGreenMachine
21-09-09, 11:31 PM
yeah and just watch those strawbs...
I put some in my border, something for the kids...
Didn't expect my three plants to turn into 13 lol..

Never planted strawberrys before, thought it would be novel.
Got some from wilkinsons and bedded them in.. Next thing, they got shoots off everywhere.

Put them out around the same time as you did dekay.
I only got a couple of strawberries myself (2 - 3) so I think it must be because it's thier first year, just planted, time to settle and adjust and all that.

Hopefully next year the harvest will be greater :)

Dekay, have your strawb plants flowered at all?
Mine flowered, then the strawbs grew out of the center of the flower.

I can't understand why yours haven't flowered if not..?

dekay
22-09-09, 10:32 PM
I got about the same number of strawbs as u green lol, just wasnt sunny when we needed it maybe next year like u say lol.

baza
23-09-09, 02:28 AM
I just picked some ripe ones yesterday.
Still got new flowers apearing with new fruit as well.

Manny
23-09-09, 06:35 PM
Best thing is not to pick anything from your strawb's in the 1st year in fact you should take the new shoots from this year & plant them up & next year you will get a crop off the mother plant & so on.Leave the shoots you planted off said mother plant until 2011.Hope this makes sense,J told me so I take it as gospel when it comes to plants & shit.:D

dekay
23-09-09, 07:27 PM
So i keep the main plants in ground and pot up the runners, cheers for that manny, well thank J mate.:p

Manny
23-09-09, 09:41 PM
Dekay mate you dont need to pot them up just plant them out.

RoyceRolling
26-10-09, 02:57 AM
Manny just read your signiture mate about Dogs.
My theory is if I could lick my dick and sniff ass on the street id be satisfied too lol.

cannamancan
09-04-10, 11:52 PM
u can get strawberrys or tomatoes in hanging baskets nowadays so slugs and squirrels cant get them .

sorry just thought it was interesting lol

gr33nfingers
10-04-10, 12:33 AM
squirrels could climb last time i seen them :thefinger: :owned:

massivemick
10-04-10, 08:01 AM
squirrels could climb last time i seen them :thefinger: :owned:

now now ya gettin giddy lol

them carrots look mint mate nice pic too countryfied