PDA

View Full Version : PH questions aeroponics/top drip system

alphadog79
29-09-15, 02:25 PM
I'm running a 400w HPS (vented tube style) in a tent, using a tote, I've 2 got 3-4 week old plants currently, they look quite healthy. Using Genhydro family of nutrients.

Got my air in bottom vent, air out top vent. Currently keep levels around 6 gallons as they're not drinking crazy amounts, I top up when necessary.

I use tap water (from my well, so no chlorine etc)

I use the vial/drip and shake method for checking my PH levels. I need to add PH down daily in order to keep my ph down around 5.5/6

24 hours with no PH down and I'm up to 7 or 8 on the PH

Is this normal? I've heard it is, and I've heard it's not. I'm using hydroton and started my seeds in rockwool.

Can anyone suggest if this should be considered normal or if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's another product I should be adding into the mix??

Thanks

Macky
29-09-15, 03:11 PM
It's normal mate, as the plant eats and rink, the ph will change as the amount of salts dissolved will change. Also as the water evaporates, and leaves salts behind. That will change the ph too. In hydro, it's all about running around and keeping that ph level, that's the hardest thing about hydro and the thing that takes the most maintainance. Just keep at it mate, the ph needs to be between 5.5 and 6 as you said, keep adding as much ph down as you need to keep it there. You can even top up the res with more feed and water with a ph balanced lower, to equal the whole mix out.

Hope this answers your question mate, good luck with the grow

alphadog79
30-09-15, 12:25 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. When you break it down like that it makes total sense. Also thanks for the tip on when I top up adding some ph down during the top up! :barmy:

Macky
30-09-15, 10:49 AM
Alllll good bro, just keep them bitches healthy and enjoy the final product :-) always happy to help, give me a shout if you need any more Info mate