PDA

View Full Version : hps vs cfl

BigG
30-09-09, 10:48 PM
ok which do people prefer and what are the pros and cons after my current grow i would like to change my setup i would like 1 vegging tent and a flowering tent so would you stick with the 2 600w hps lamps i have currenlty or change to cfl obviously diffrent specturms for veg and flower or mix and match cfl for veg and hps for flower and also what power cfl for 5-6 plants would a twin 250w envirolamp be sufficient?

http://www.enviro-gro-lites.co.uk/images/web.product.2x250w+2LR.2.jpg

is what im looking at in a 1.2x1.2x2m tent with 5-6 plants

bergkamp
01-10-09, 08:03 AM
i would stick to the hps for flowering if you set up allows , i grow with cfls and for my set up they are fine but if i had the choice i know what i would go for.
also i would carefully check the size of that reflector if you are getting one as cfls are bigger than you expect them to be

Greensmith
01-10-09, 10:27 AM
Hi Big G, I recently changed from CFL to 250HPS and the difference in buds is huge. They are much much denser compared, dripping with resin from week 3/4 and generally healthier.

Nothing wrong with vegging under a blue CFL beforehand. I know an excellent grower who uses a blue 250CFL for vegging 9 plants before moving into his flowering tent under 250HPS. I bought a 250 Blue Metal Halide for my vegging and he was impressed with the difference compared to the CFL...maybe even enough to change from his CFL to the MH bulb.

My only concern about your proposed setup is 2 x 600w HPS in such a small tent, I think just one would be tough enough to control the heat let alone two but that's just my opinion. You're sure to get some dense, juicy buds with those lights mates.

BigG
01-10-09, 12:05 PM
i do already have 2 600w hps lamps btw and space isnt really an issue so really is it worth electrical savings to go to cfl for veging thanks for replys so far and im gonna stick with a 600w hps for flowering cheers guys

BigG
01-10-09, 12:15 PM
i do already have 2 600w hps lamps btw and space isnt really an issue so really is it worth electrical savings to go to cfl for veging thanks for replys so far and im gonna stick with a 600w hps for flowering cheers guys

oh and i wasnt going to use 2 600w lamps in one tent lol just one per tent and i havent purchased the tents yet would a larger tent be better suited to a single 600w hps? reccomendations welcome.

my plan as i stands will be then ... 2 tents one for vegging and one for flower will put 5 plants into veg under 2 x 250w cfl's from my extended reading i should be able to get smaller bushier plants under the cfl's and veg for 8 weeks then flower for 8 weeks in the other tent under a single 600w hps lamps this way i can crop every 4 weeks, infact doing this you think i willget away with 4 plants, i smoke around 6-8oz a month and if i have too much i will have enuff bud to have a break from growing

cheers bigg