PDA

View Full Version : anyone into MMA

g_naed
31-10-07, 08:25 PM
just wondered if anyone on here is into mixed martial arts, ive been into it for years now and its getting more popular over here.

tucker
31-10-07, 08:58 PM
nice1 G i like me fighting sports , aint seen much mma l8ly as cut off sky lol :o but train a bit nothing heavy really ;) bit of qigong and southern kung fu , used to thai box when i was younger , but still like mma more realistic than alot of shite out there :D

g_naed
31-10-07, 11:17 PM
i used to be big on judo,also tried a few others tai chi,aikido little bit of MT.
i think if i was 10 or 15 yrs younger this would defo be for me. ive been following it since about 96, so cool seeing it get more mainstream thx to the ufc, but people need to see the old pride fc stuuf that was just awsome.:bong:

blue widow
03-11-07, 02:45 AM
we have our very own ninja present on THC m8, he goes by the name of MUM , hes yer man!! ;)

tucker
03-11-07, 09:58 AM
yeah G pride was ace back in the day , could see proper stylists competeing :smokie:

hey blue :greet: mum should ninja his ass over here for a natter lol , ninja has some nice footwork and low kicks , i do southern mantis style and shaolin qigong- yiquan , both very very powerful systems not for sports or mma but pure realistic close quater fighting , fantastic for keeping healthy ,toughening the entire body and gaining explosive power :cowboy:

Mum
05-11-07, 06:17 PM
Haha I'm not technically a ninja, I train in Wing Chun; which I'm sure you all know about.
This is proper Ip Man Wing Chun, not some of the crap I've seen being taught in the name of Wing Chun.

I do love MMA to be honest, as far as a sport goes it's the closest thing on telly to real combat. I'll catch Pride, K1 and UFC whenever I can for a bit of shits and giggles but it's important to remember it's still a sport. No eye, throat, groin strikes etc etc so it's not really Wing Chun friendly! :p

Very interested in you tucker, I train with a guy that's done Mantis for about 20 years I think, it's a style that slightly evades me at the moment but I'm sure that's only because I don't know much about it!
There's some extremely deadly arts about, but the best are always southern chinese arts. ;)

tucker
05-11-07, 10:00 PM
lol cool mum , wing chun and mantis have alot in common such as tempting hands and inch force both close range in-fighting styles :cool:, but i totally agree bout southern styles ruling , i've found northern styles alot more cardio fitness , high kicks etc which is good if your into that sort of thing :rolleyes:
have you done any qigong mum , i love it and would recommend it to eveyone , how just breathing and doing simple stretches etc can make you feel ace fascinates me and after a while of training you can physically feel it and build on it , lol it's immense and i love it (probably sounding bit psycho lol but i aint , just open minded ;) ) :guitar:

Mum
06-11-07, 02:18 PM
I have actually, a tai-chi/ qigong sifu trains with us and she's taken us through some excercises, it's bloody knackering but I can see the benefit.
I would do it more, but at the moment I haven't got the time or the money to fit in anything else into my week.

Those northern styles are alrite... but when you get past 30 you're just going to get worse and worse at it until it's useless.

tucker
06-11-07, 02:33 PM
he he mum i hear that bout northern styles, specially with me perhaps liking a little too much smoke :bong: lol

but tai-chi is good i'm looking for a decent sifu close to here but no luck yet , i'm a big fan of tai chi's single whip technique mantis and probably wing chun use it too but is ace move :greet:

Mum
07-11-07, 11:58 AM
The thing about Tai-chi is that if you want to use it as an effective martial art it takes decades of training and study, where as Wing Chun (although taking many many years to master) can be used as an effective martial art from day one really.
Much as I believe in the self-cultivation side, my predominant reason for training is self defence and hence I wanted something I could use from the off, then just improve on and perfect as time went by.

I'm going to have a read up on Mantis so I can have a proper conversation on it with you. ;)

g_naed
07-11-07, 08:41 PM
Mum, Tucker have you seen RIOHEROS yet its from brazil sort of like old rules UFC ,if not check it out its real good

Mum
08-11-07, 02:54 PM
I haven't mate, have you got any links at all? :)

g_naed
08-11-07, 07:23 PM
http://www.toughsportslive.com/?page=rhHome
try this Mum hope you like

Mum
08-11-07, 08:08 PM
Love it, that's what I'm talking about! :D

eri
09-11-07, 01:52 PM
I practise kung fu... a combination of black leapord fist and tiger claw systems. I haven't been to a class for ages now, but I still train :)

I'm still a newbie though really, I just find it excellent.

I've trained some tai chi too (the 10 step and some more generic movements) and still practise that from time to time.

g_naed
10-11-07, 03:50 PM
I want to start training again i really miss it ive found an MMA school near me so i think im gonna look into that itd be ace if they did kiddie classes so my lads can go

Mum
13-11-07, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't mind checking out an MMA school, but purely for fun. I mean it could be used for self-defence but it is predominantly a sport, so Wing Chun will always be the baby on that front for me.

I got slapped about tonight, lost the hearing in my right ear for a good half hour which was... odd.
All good fun! :D

Blueberryog
15-11-07, 12:45 AM
Northern Mantis. Tai-Chi, and BJJ. :) Bout five years now.

blue widow
17-11-07, 03:37 PM
Northern Mantis. Tai-Chi, and BJJ. :) Bout five years now.

good shit, i know who am callin if i need help to sort summit out ;)

Blueberryog
18-11-07, 08:18 PM
good shit, i know who am callin if i need help to sort summit out ;)

I gotcha back

markyt89
05-03-08, 03:59 AM
fooking love me some mma!

nick and nate diaz ftw, theyl kick your ass then go spark up at the after party. badass motherfuckers

TheCooperman
18-05-08, 06:04 PM
I'm well into my MMA. I try to watch every UFC event and as much other stuff as I can catch. I'm gonna go to one of the UFC events in London sometime if I get off my lazy arse, but it's a shame they're all at the shitty o2 arena, it's an overpriced orgy of ball-suckiness.

ryan
28-09-08, 02:07 AM
glasgow secc the best venue

Killer09
21-02-09, 03:19 PM
Muay thai, bit of boxing, south paw stance when im feeling on fire. With a coach who trained quinton jackson in his early age