PDA

View Full Version : Sexing Plants before Flowering?

Gandhi
06-11-07, 12:00 AM
Hey guys, long-time reader, but this is the first time I'm posting. I just want to say that this site has already helped me a lot and it is run well.

Anyways, I was wondering if there is a way to determine the sex of the plant before putting it into flowering? I know about the trick where you put one of the bottom branches into a paper bag for 12 hours a day to mimic flowering, but I don't want to deal with that.

I heard somewhere that the number of leaves on each branch can tell you. For instance, if some of your plants develop leaf clusters of 7 while others form clusters of 9, then that is a way to tell which sex they are. Is this true?

If anyone knows of any other ways to tell a plant's sex before it enters flowering, please let me know.

Thanks!

Grape101
06-11-07, 12:10 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

They will show on there own whilst still in veg after around 5-6 weeks. If you want to know earlier, you can turn the lights back to 12/12 early until they show, and then go back to 18/6 again to veg. Only problem with this is that you run the risk of getting hermies which is not a good thing.

Hope this helps dude and enjoy your stay! :stoned-smilie:

blurry-vision
06-11-07, 01:16 AM
TBH mate I would not worry to much about sexing them when they show its really obvious, I was the same on my first grow though !! :p (assuming this is your first grow !! )

Bitterfly
06-11-07, 01:24 AM
Hey guys, long-time reader, but this is the first time I'm posting. I just want to say that this site has already helped me a lot and it is run well.

Anyways, I was wondering if there is a way to determine the sex of the plant before putting it into flowering? I know about the trick where you put one of the bottom branches into a paper bag for 12 hours a day to mimic flowering, but I don't want to deal with that.

I heard somewhere that the number of leaves on each branch can tell you. For instance, if some of your plants develop leaf clusters of 7 while others form clusters of 9, then that is a way to tell which sex they are. Is this true?

If anyone knows of any other ways to tell a plant's sex before it enters flowering, please let me know.

Thanks!

the technique that springs to mind for me is to get clones as soon as possible and flower them immediately....but i guess this technique is only viable if you plan to have a long veg period anyway...

asci
06-11-07, 11:09 AM
IF you give them about 5 weeks veg then they will show. You want to see little hairs like this:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1225/k4ku4.jpg

Hope this helps..

Gandhi
06-11-07, 11:49 PM
Thanks a lot for the help guys. We're at about 6 weeks so I guess it'll be soon.

allahu_akbar
07-11-07, 12:41 AM
Thanks!

yeah my mum gave me a book called "marijuana; the cultivaters handbook" its from the 70's i think so its sort of usful although some of the shit is out of date if ya know what imsaying. but... i did read somthing that is like what your saying. its called the Leaf Mass formula, i cant remember the formula exactly but i could tell you tomorro if anyone wants to hear it,
or google it.

lkdj2003
08-11-07, 06:38 PM
Thanks a lot for the help guys. We're at about 6 weeks so I guess it'll be soon.

Are you on 18/6 lighting hours?

Gandhi
09-11-07, 06:20 AM
Nah, using 24/0

lkdj2003
11-11-07, 03:39 PM
Nah, using 24/0

I always find 24/0 can take a little longer for them to show sex than what they would if you where on 18/6. ;)

Gandhi
14-11-07, 07:05 AM
I always find 24/0 can take a little longer for them to show sex than what it would if you where on 18/6. ;)

Thanks.

So they'll definitely show while still in veg then?

asci
14-11-07, 09:37 AM
Thanks.

So they'll definitely show while still in veg then?

Yup, they always will eventually...

Gandhi
20-11-07, 08:17 AM
Ugh, so they're at 7 full weeks in veg and still no signs of sex. I hate this waiting game

asci
20-11-07, 10:10 AM
Ugh, so they're at 7 full weeks in veg and still no signs of sex. I hate this waiting game

There's a number of reasons they may be taking longer.

Growing from seed under 24 hours of light as stated can slow progress.
The light you are using is not very strong (cfl, enviro) which will also slow things down. There's also the lack of nutrient (if they are not being fed)

lkdj2003
22-11-07, 02:20 PM

How long have they been in the pot's/soil they are in?

yardbird
23-11-07, 01:42 AM

Everything comes to he who waits.

Keep your chin up mate.

:weed:

Gandhi
26-11-07, 08:31 AM
How long have they been in the pot's/soil they are in?

They've been in the same pot of soil the whole time. Once they germed, they got put directly into 5-gal buckets with soil & perlite.

And not to worry, I think that the one is JUST starting to show female pre-flowers.

bubbs
26-11-07, 12:57 PM
woooooooooot congrats mate =)

lkdj2003
26-11-07, 03:41 PM
Yup, welldone mate. :bigjoint:

Gandhi
28-11-07, 07:13 AM
Thanks. Will the males show pre-flowers, or will I have to wait until flowering for them to show??

asci
28-11-07, 10:25 AM
Thanks. Will the males show pre-flowers, or will I have to wait until flowering for them to show??

Oh you'll know if you have a male as they have balls.

http://www.feminizedseed.com/pictures/male.jpg