PDA

View Full Version : does scrog weaken strenth of smoke

jake420
09-03-17, 06:55 PM
as the title say folks,,,i was speaking to my young cousin in work today about topping and he told me topping weakens the strength of the smoke as im about to do my first scrog and have topped multiple times im wondering if he's right
can anyone correct him or is he right

B.A.BARACUS
09-03-17, 06:57 PM
iS THIS A JOKE?? Your Cousin is full of brown stuff mate.. Absolute bullshit! How old is he 7?

jake420
09-03-17, 07:05 PM
the little yins 34,,,thanks BA as i was sure i had read somewhere that it doesn't but when you start to second question yourself ffs he'll be getting all the good jobs i can send his way tomorrow lol thanks for your reply mate

British green
09-03-17, 07:06 PM
iS THIS A JOKE?? Your Cousin is full of brown stuff mate.. Absolute bullshit! How old is he 7?
Just love the reply I've told him to kick his cousin in the arse :)

sent from mission control

jake420
09-03-17, 07:18 PM
hi BG answered you on other thead and had apologised for double thread bud nut he'll not be missed tomorrow ��

Bud Lightyear
09-03-17, 07:23 PM
as the title say folks,,,i was speaking to my young cousin in work today about topping and he told me topping weakens the strength of the smoke as im about to do my first scrog and have topped multiple times im wondering if he's right
can anyone correct him or is he right

Bullshite mukka....Is he on drugs or something :)

Regards BL

M_C
09-03-17, 07:34 PM
I'd be interested to know how he came to that conclusion!

B.A.BARACUS
09-03-17, 07:37 PM
I'm itching my head and cream crackers at the same time.. Hmm....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jake420
09-03-17, 08:19 PM
Bullshite mukka....Is he on drugs or something :)

Regards BL
I hope not bud as we're using power tools lol but probably he is haha ffs

jake420
09-03-17, 08:28 PM

MC he put me on the phone to a couple of his friends from london(thats were he's from im north of the border) and these wee guys all said that it does and as i know sweet fa they had me questioning myself,,these boys were saying topping was for quantity not quality
Im looking for the latter
Lol should i start a thread to see what he's going to have to do on site for the next few days haha

jake420
09-03-17, 08:28 PM
BA i have cream for that lol

Glynne
10-03-17, 08:18 AM
Lol should i start a thread to see what he's going to have to do on site for the next few days haha

Go get the long weight.
Go buy some tartan paint..
Go get me the left handed hammer, paintbrush, tape measure etc..
Go and find the double sided gaffer tape.

The list goes on.... 😆😆😅😂

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Type M
10-03-17, 09:33 AM
MC he put me on the phone to a couple of his friends from london(thats were he's from im north of the border) and these wee guys all said that it does and as i know sweet fa they had me questioning myself,,these boys were saying topping was for quantity not quality
Im looking for the latter

I wonder if they were daft enough to top a plant in flower? That would definitely spoil the quality, especially if it causes them to turn hermaphrodite ;)

British green
10-03-17, 10:00 AM
I wonder if they were daft enough to top a plant in flower? That would definitely spoil the quality, especially if it causes them to turn hermaphrodite ;)
That was my thought and the only way I could see topping fucking with the plant . I also don't like back budding or back building where you snip a little off the top of the bud . Not something I'd recommend . I like to keep stress levels down in flower and if anything a little stress at the very end just to up the thc production a little :)

sent from mission control

happyjack
10-03-17, 12:03 PM
most if not all people are off their heads in their own way, i just hope i dont come across the nutter that wants kick my head in, so long as that dont happen i dont give a shit what they say i dont believe nobody cos i dont know who or what they are

greengiant
17-03-17, 09:29 PM
I wonder how they grow weed when entering into thc strength competitions?

I'd like to bet they don't top.

Strength increase might be minimal but I would say that the bud from a single central cola would be of a higher quality. Just only very slightly.

Tip no is still well worth while though and I do it every grow. I'd rather a 30% + increase in yield than a 0.5% increase in thc content.

Still if you were to argue it scientifically I would say that an untopped plant would produce better bud on the middle cola. Just seems like you'd expect as much as that's how nature intended it.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

ReeferDankness
18-03-17, 12:09 AM
I'd say topping it works out better mate. Without topping you get 1 giant dank nug and everything else is b grade if you top it you get 10+ big dank nugs and a lot less lower crap. It won't reduce the quality of the bud, it'll just give you more higher quality weed.

jake420
21-03-17, 05:54 PM
fcukin ell all,,, i just looked back and you'd of thought i just slagged someones ma off PMSL anyway never got the chance to punish the little cnut we finished early that friday and it was a job and finish aswell ahh lol
well he went on to argue their point and defend you loose some of the goodness,,,before you guys think i'm speaking about your mums again i would just like to say i have always topped,,,the whole 3 grows and i'm on my 3rd of them just now lol
anyway point is it's good to be among so many folks that give afcuk to be so passionate to share there experience thanks guys and as said earlier topped the s--t out of the others lol so thanks again guys and much appreciated
J

Smokedragon
23-03-17, 10:00 PM
...weakens the strength of the smoke...
I've heard this too in the course of learning about topping and fimming. Seems to be a nasty rumor, but I can't speak from experience. I wonder if they might have meant that is reduces the vigor of the central stalk. This is desirable if you are LST or trying to shape the canopy. You want the auxins to be redirected to the surrounding growth.

redisiel
23-03-17, 11:29 PM
Scrogging will give you better overall results because like in a couple post back there will be no lower buds to speak of so in general each bud should have the same quality with a better overall light coverage imo
Blessings
Redz

Olympian
31-03-17, 06:26 PM
This has to be a joke lol.

greengiant
31-03-17, 07:24 PM
I would say it's kind of right. The main cola from an untopped plant should be the best quality bud that strain can grow.

When topped I'd say that quality diminishes very very slightly.

Overall though you will get more good bud from a topped plant because of the way you achieve better light distribution.

The untapped plant might produce one dank nug but after that you're on the lower shit.

I never used to top for years as I preferred the nice big fat central colas and the quality was A1 but my yields didn't carry me to the next harvest. Topping achieved this easily.

Mick Taylor
30-10-17, 12:06 AM
Quality is determined by genetics and your ability to give the plant it's best possible chance of becoming its 100% not wether it has a single main cola or 8 main colas. Well that's threw my experience anyway.

MonsterEnergy
30-10-17, 12:41 AM
i prefer to just lollipop my girls and let them go vertical, there's no point having a 6'-6'' grow space and only using 2 foot of it,
again it's all very subjective, so many methods work and produce good solid nugs,

one plant maxed out can produce sum truly crazy weight, but so can 4 vertical plants with minimal veg/training time,

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=352349&d=1509320397
that girl was only vegged for 30 days,

Hobbit
30-10-17, 01:21 AM
When you top it redistributes hormones to other parts of the plant and increases hormone production so I cant see how it would be a bad thing. IMO if anything will make the smoke better.

Blue
30-10-17, 01:27 AM
one plant maxed out can produce sum truly crazy weight, but so can 4 vertical plants with minimal veg/training time,

I agree with this to a certain extent. I did really well from a Dinafem Cheese untopped and vegged for just under 3 weeks.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171030/c4829b297a2e9120e04782f71c1201b9.jpeg

But Ive also run the same strains topped and untopped with no difference in smoke quality whatsoever. I actually prefer topping and training tbh.

MonsterEnergy
30-10-17, 01:41 AM
that's why it's such a great thing growing ya own,
no one method to it because there's not just one method of growing,

lst, scrog, sog, mainline, top, fim and so on,

someone who tops then fims then lst's will says 'this is best'
others will do sog, someone else will scrog, someone else mainlining,

the best method is what you prefer doing, if i can ask blue

how many of those cheese girls could you fit into a 1.2 tent? 4?
beautiful lookin plant btw matey,

Blue
30-10-17, 01:49 AM
if i can ask blue, how many of those cheese girls could you fit into a 1.2 tent? 4?
beautiful lookin plant btw matey,

Thanks monster, 4 is the maximum number when it comes to a 1.2 tent with most strains in my opinion. Wether grown with training or not it's an ideal number for plenty of light, air movement and yield.

MonsterEnergy
30-10-17, 02:04 AM
i'm guessing 4 such plants topped and scrog netted would yield roughly the same amount then?

with that girl i posted, i had 5 tops more or less level until it was flowered,
then only the main cola grew vertical, no additional side shoots, it's an amnesia trait and why i kept her as a mother,

but ur cheese looks stinky sticky thc stuff, i bet ya carbon filter was having a cardiac arrest with 4 of those, lol

Mick Taylor
31-10-17, 04:24 AM
I always top mine at least 3 or 4 times veg for 4-5 weeks never ever question quality infact ide be afraid of the smoke if it got any better , already gives the sweets to people and seen many a seasoned smoker green out after having one to many at my place haha ...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171031/84ad0dcc7c80dfcb29204fc6eda0c480.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171031/c0048f222f889da02eacca07c8b294d6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171031/cf7471ee89d0c3608d569beb3a0e1605.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stirl_420_SA
31-10-17, 11:29 AM
What about those that argue that increase stressed late in flower increases THC percentage?

These two statements are then contradictory...

Just shows that everything is subjective

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Hobbit
31-10-17, 02:03 PM
What about those that argue that increase stressed late in flower increases THC percentage?

These two statements are then contradictory...

Just shows that everything is subjective

I was yarning with a kiwi fruit farmer in New Zealand one day. They actually spray a very mild dose of weed killer over the crop at flower time. Not enough to kill the vines, just enough to stress the bejesus outta them and force more flower production. Think about that next time you eat a kiwi fruit lol. Any one mad enough to try this?

Stirl_420_SA
31-10-17, 02:07 PM
I've seen whacko techniques like 'stem splitting' or supercropped a week or two before harvest to properly stress them out.

I assume it would be too late for stress to cause them to Hermie but whether or not this increases THC and resin production I don't know.

Damn Kiwi's. An exoerienced farmer knows best so definitely plausible!

redisiel
31-10-17, 02:07 PM
Some serious reading needs to be done here people,
Redz

FACE
31-10-17, 02:21 PM
I wonder how they grow weed when entering into thc strength competitions?

I'd like to bet they don't top.

Strength increase might be minimal but I would say that the bud from a single central cola would be of a higher quality. Just only very slightly.

Tip no is still well worth while though and I do it every grow. I'd rather a 30% + increase in yield than a 0.5% increase in thc content.

Still if you were to argue it scientifically I would say that an untopped plant would produce better bud on the middle cola. Just seems like you'd expect as much as that's how nature intended it.

What a load of guff
Honestly mate a dint no where u get it from
Whether plant is topped of grown. Without topped
Does not determine the strength n thc content
Environment plant health n genetics will do this along with experience
And as for ones winning highest thc content check out jungle boys grows. All cuttings begged to bout 12 inch then stripped back to top nodes then flowered
So it’s none of this no topping all from seed stuff it’s down to there perfect environment proper feeding

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171031/0836acaebf8760681b392fded458b5ba.png
Trays of cuttings all close together flowered to achieve this by jungle boys

Hobbit
31-10-17, 02:21 PM
Some serious reading needs to be done here people,
Redz

Personally apart from my earlier post on hormone translocation Redz when you top stems and nodes bulk up as well and you get a more consistency in diametre of stems. Bigger stems and nodes equals more nutrient uptake and greater hormone production so it's a no brainer for me but cant see every one agreeing on this subject lol.

redisiel
31-10-17, 06:36 PM
Personally apart from my earlier post on hormone translocation Redz when you top stems and nodes bulk up as well and you get a more consistency in diametre of stems. Bigger stems and nodes equals more nutrient uptake and greater hormone production so it's a no brainer for me but cant see every one agreeing on this subject lol.

Facts are facts bro weather they agree or not lol, like I say some simple reading the right books instead of nutrient charts and pk boosters there’s a lot to learn, these plants get fucked all over the place in the wild, branches snapping from birds etc and im sure that don’t stop any growth. As for resin production again simple reading, trichones are there to protect a plant and collect pollen and shit so again by triggering the plants immune system will obviously help among other things.
Blessings
Redz

Hobbit
31-10-17, 06:40 PM
Facts are facts bro weather they agree or not lol, like I say some simple reading the right books instead of nutrient charts and pk boosters there’s a lot to learn, these plants get fucked all over the place in the wild, branches snapping from birds etc and im sure that don’t stop any growth. As for resin production again simple reading, trichones are there to protect a plant and collect pollen and shit so again by triggering the plants immune system will obviously help among other things.
Blessings
Redz

Lol i think your agreeing with me. TBF though cultivated plants are nearly always of better quality than wild . Smoked plenty of wild weed in asia and its not as strong or resinous. In saying that we often graft onto wild root stocks cause they tend to be hardier.

redisiel
31-10-17, 07:01 PM
Lol i think your agreeing with me. TBF though cultivated plants are nearly always of better quality than wild . Smoked plenty of wild weed in asia and its not as strong or resinous. In saying that we often graft onto wild root stocks cause they tend to be hardier.

100% mate goes without saying on the cultivated brother.
I’m just saying if you cut a bit off it’s forgotten and the rest gets it share fair enough a top higher than others might not get as much but that’s where the even canopy cones in.
I ain’t smoked Wild weed lol but I sure smokes some brick shit in the past pmsl
Redz

DET—PDX
21-09-18, 07:51 PM
When it comes to plants, growth hormone has been shown in various studies to not be DIMINISHED in topping but SPREAD. This allows for increased hormone circulation in SCROG as the plant grows more horizontal. A simple physiological adaptation we humans don’t see (except for the increase I bud sites). This way, THC is more SPREAD to more buds rather than one fat Kola. For SCROG, I don’t think there’s any point in HST stressing your plant unless it’s purpose is to expose more of these bud sites. Topping is recommended for SCROG to further spread growth hormone and create more quality bud sites, as opposed to one super high quality bud site. In my own experience indoor, I will always top and SCROG to increase a more well rounded, quality end product for almost every bud produced, removing the bud sites that don’t make it to the net. However, I do not believe in defoliating, rather I zip tie and tuck large fan leaves. Why remove the main light consumers of the plant, absorbing the most photons? Everyone is different, but knowledge of wise research folks out there (God bless’em) stands true to my own experience.