PDA

View Full Version : My first stealth grow - planning stage, pointers please?!!

skunkymunky
03-11-09, 06:55 AM
Hi everyone, really sorry both my posts have been so long(!) Maybe next time I will wait until later in the morning before posting!!

Been meaning to sign up for a while so just went for it - I just posted a bit about myself in the intro section explaining that I'm hoping to gather some insight / inspiration / info to accompany my first grow.

I've recently decided to grow at home because It's just not worth the hassle and stress of trying to score on the streets any more and after recently moving back to the area after Uni, I'd like to keep my smoking in as small a circle as possible. The 25% hike on the Henry all the way up to the oz round here is a bit of a bummer too.

That bit of rage I experience each time I line a scummers pocket won't be missed either! Plus... it's the worst feeling in the world when a dealer lets you down when you'd banked on some that night, then to top it all off it falls on a night Eastenders is on, so I end up actually taking in these ridiculous storylines when usually I'd be in a green induced couch lock where all I see is Stacey Slater.

Anyway back on topic, I'd like to make it clear that if I do go ahead with this grow, it's for personal use, I'm NOT dealing. I don't even intend on letting anyone (apart from my GF, obviously) know it's happening, the only profit I want is bud without the bill.

Anyhoo.... on to question time...

I plan to start my grow in the next week, but I feel a bit unprepared!! Below is a list of everything I have got so far for my grow, then a list of what I've read other people have which I haven't got yet - things I'm not entirely sure I want to buy or strictly need for my grow.... followed by some questions if thats ok people??

EDIT: I plan on stuttering the seeds for my grow, so I'll hopefully harvest one 7 - 10 days after the other, so i'll start off with 1 growing (maybe 2) and then 10 days later pop the next seed (I think I can fit 4 in the wardrobe no problem - whether 250watt is enough light is another question.) But I'll most probably have 2 or 3 growing at the same time maximum.

I'm planning on growing some LR2/Ak47 seeds in a wardrobe in my bedroom. I've emptied it out to create the space, my available grow space measures 190cm x 95cm x 40cm.

Here's what I've got so far:

- 10 x feminized autoflowering LR2 seeds
- Grow wardrobe: 190 x 95 x 45
- MiracleGrow soil with 3 months nutes
- Enough Mylar to cover entire wardrobe
- 1 x 250 Watt Dual Spectrum CFL with reflector
- 2 x easy roll adjustable yoyo hangers
- Water Absorbing crystals
- ONA gel
- Detachable base fans
- 3,4, & 5L pots
- Nute flush

Here is what I haven't got which I think I will either need or will improve my yield or help regulate temperatures:

- Additional Nutrients (Or is my nutrient enriched soil enough for a lowryder grow along with water for each feed?)
- Carbon filter (Instead I'm going with the ONA gel mixed with water absorbing crystals in a bucket with a fan to neutralise any smells in my room and topping up each time it runs out)
- Intake PC fans / Exhaust (My grow cupboard is quite large and I can have the doors open on the wardrobe most of the time, with a window open which will bring in fresh air, I thought using a Base fan in front of the wardrobe as well as one inside would encourage the air to circulate)
- Timer (I really want to minimise all the electrics I have in the bedroom as I really do not want to go setting my lovely girl on fire in the night through electrical damage - I'm pretty clueless when it comes to wiring, splicing, max volts/watt with power sockets etc which is why I'm sort of against going with the pc fans, electrical timer etc. My plants only need max 6 hours of dark a night anyway and i'm pretty sure I can cope with switching over each day.) If the setup I have in mind will work then all I'll have plugged in is the 250watter for 18 hours a day along with 2 Base fans.
-Thermometer

Questions-

- Is this setup possible, I mean can I still get a good grow / yield / decent smoke without having the PC fans? I don't want to chop up the wardrobe (I'd rather buy a new separate one if I really need to make ammendments), but I can add venting holes and like I said I can leave my wardrobe door open aswell as the window in my room for fresh air circulation and the base fans should reduce temperature?

- Will a LOT of heat be produced within the grow space mentioned using a 250W CFL? (as in more heat than can be regulated by keeping wardrobe doors open, with base fan and window open?)

- Does the method of using the ONA gel with a fan and bucket work well in regard to clearing the smell?

- Is there anything you can point out that I'm missing or where I may come up against problems??!

Thanks in advance to anyone who even takes the time to read through all of that, nevermind offer me advice!

I plan to document a grow diary with pics once I get going for those interested - this is to help myself as much as anyone else, if I can see steps were I go wrong then I know what I can improve for the next grow.

Cheers all, Ste

Peace :bong:

popeyejohnson
03-11-09, 11:44 AM
with a cfl wardrobe grow i dont think ull get any temp issues m8 and id use potting compost as the way ive read it slow release nutes are a bad thing unless its outdoors and unnattended, best to watch and feed accordingly mate id also use a fan any fan just to move stale air to up your co2 uptake and as for buying a new cupboard if you want to do that you may as well get a grow tent theres some nice 1s around hope this helps. welcome to the site any hoo hope you enjoy your stay, are you planning to do a diary?

skunkymunky
03-11-09, 05:31 PM
Hi there mate, cheers for the reply!

That's good news RE temp issues, one less thing to worry about!!

I'll switch the soil I had planned for some potting compost then - in this case, can you advise on suitable nutes I will need for my lowryders - I've read some people just use tomato feed?! I now have Nute flush for the final weeks but no nutes lol!

The reason I'm not keen about ammending my current wardrobe is that it is built in to the wall, drilling any holes to exhaust into another room is simply not possible, as the room I'm using shares a wall with another flat, same story above the wardrobe. So if there's a way I can just create a chimney/exhaust hole towards the top on the door, and then have a base fan encouraging stale air upwards and a base fan in line with my open window, but in front of my wardrobe, facing inwards, pulling fresh air back into my wardrobe this would be much more preferable for me!

If I was to buy another wardrobe or cupboard, I'd need to hide it, which would probably mean sticking it in this wardrobe anyway, therefore it would have to be small and then I'd end up with more temperature problems than before, less grow space and would definitely need to build in ventiliation and extraction fans etc, right??

I had been thinking of buying a grow tent, but they seem expensive (Although there is a nifty little material wardrobe on sale at argos for less than £20 which I think might be possible to use.) but right now I'm trying to limit everything I spend in order to prove to myself it's a lot more viable, I wil undoubtedly make investments along the line, here and there, but for now I don't really think I'm at a stage to spend on grow tent etc, I think this trial and error 1st grow should be completed first, then when I get my final yield and look back over my grow diary I can make changes to my future grows to get improvements! ... Hopefully ;)

Can't wait to get it all up and running, I think once its a few weeks from harvest I'll be so excited that I'll ditch scoring all together, try my absolute best to have a 2 or 3 week break, let the tolerance die down and then get back on the organics!!

It must feel so good smoking your own clean bud knowing you nurtured the girls!

widowsmite
03-11-09, 05:52 PM
Sounds like ur sorted mate. I have a 200w bulb in a bigish wardrobe and the temps are never higher than 28*C. Usually 24*C. I only have a mini fan blowing for air circulation. I think they will grow better with better circulation but they are looking well without. I suggest just opening the door every now and then and/or leave the door slightly ajar.
As for nutes you might not need them mate. I'd just keep an eye out till you see something lacking.
Also do NOT give them nutes for 3 weeks. Lesson learned for me lol :(
Have a look on my thread on stealth grows. Pretty similar setup minus 50watts and White Rhino seeds.
x