PDA

View Full Version : my first grow (equipment)

hitman_dot
07-11-09, 03:20 AM
well im basically giving this a go as i have (like many others) had enough of relying on dealers.

So im going to use an old PC case for growing in, and i need a list of equipment.
I know there are probably other threads here and there mentioning the needed equipment but i was just hoping someone could very kindly put together a list including EVERYTHING that is needed. Also, can you name any places that i could order some seeds from. Im in the UK if thats relevant...

Thank you, all is appreciated and once started i will sure be keeping a diary on here as this is where i got my main inspiration :smokie:

Mephisto69
07-11-09, 12:09 PM
well im basically giving this a go as i have (like many others) had enough of relying on dealers.

am a newb here myself, just had to say amen to that lol :D gl :)

seanMcPot
07-11-09, 12:22 PM
i think you need to give a bit more detail on how you want to grow before asking this.such as soil or hydro,type of lights you want,do you want high/tall plants or low/small plants?

seanMcPot
07-11-09, 12:25 PM
oh yeah,i get my seeds from local hydro shops,but not all shops stock them(and im in uk as well,just so ya know)

seanMcPot
07-11-09, 12:31 PM
and what do you mean by a pc case?

M_C
07-11-09, 01:47 PM
You need lights, fan, pot, soil, thermometer & a humidity meter (I think that about covers it)

Why not buy your seeds from the forum shop?

chanandler bong
07-11-09, 01:54 PM
You need lights, fan, pot, soil, thermometer & a humidity meter (I think that about covers it)

Why not buy your seeds from the forum shop?

carbon filter kit, if your getting cfl bulbs which is probs best in a small space due to low heat!... and you wouldneed a 125 dual spec cfl id say check ebay and dont forget a hanger like i have as the bulbs am fukin hge lol,
you will need some seedling and cutting compost and then some potting on compost later on,
diff size pots depending on how big/many plants your gonna have 1 maybe 2?
timer for the lights.. asda 2 quid
nutes if you want them,
and seeds
you can get most stuff of the shop on here mate its quite cheap aswel
if not just search on google for seeds!

hope this helps a little

M_C
07-11-09, 02:40 PM
Rather than a big 125w CFL you could use several 'household' CFLs that will take up less space

hitman_dot
07-11-09, 03:59 PM
and what do you mean by a pc case?
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/352/antec_p150_side.jpg
basically one of these but completely empty without all those metal brackets and all that, BUT i was thinking to leave the power unit in there with a couple mini pc fans. good idea or bad?

As for seeds i just found out that i could purchase some from here so i will definatly do that!

seanMcPot, i just want so start off with a small plant, IF thats possible lol coz i know how these babys grow :D

as im a n00b to all this im not quite sure what the difference with 'soil or hydro' is... care to explain? :)

is there a specific type of soil/compost i should be looking to get? if so could you name the typical brand and type you get? thanks

thanks for taking the time to reply to my n00bness lol :) its all appreciated!

M_C
07-11-09, 04:28 PM
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/352/antec_p150_side.jpg
basically one of these but completely empty without all those metal brackets and all that, BUT i was thinking to leave the power unit in there with a couple mini pc fans. good idea or bad?

I would take out the PSU, you'll need all the space you can get. Either use the PSU from outside the case or use a phone charger to power the fans

hitman_dot
07-11-09, 04:46 PM
Ok will do! so knowing the type of space im using, could you give me a specific type of light to use or shall i go with the previously mentioned 125w CFL type?

hitman_dot
07-11-09, 04:49 PM
just looked on ebay, is this a good option?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/125w-Dual-Spectrum-CFL-hanger-hydroponics-grow-light_W0QQitemZ280420118242QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_H omeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN?hash=item414a 576ee2

Mr_Bimble
09-11-09, 01:14 AM
I'd be tempted to get a 125W 6400K (blue) and a 125W or 200W 2700K (red) if it'll fit inside as with the dual you're only geting 62.5W of each colour.

BTW : the maximum size I could fit in my PC case was a 125W, so I only use it as a nursery and move the plants to something a bit bigger when I switch to 12/12.

hitman_dot
09-11-09, 02:04 AM
ok so ive scrapped the pc case idea and moved onto an old dresser hollowed out. take a look at the pic and tell me what light i should be getting as i dont really have a clue. also, could you let me know of any other compulsary things that are missing apart from the soil, seeds, lighting etc.

all the pc equipment will be put into a box so no water and that can effect it.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9922/img00092200911080016.th.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/i/img00092200911080016.jpg/)

Mr_Bimble
09-11-09, 06:50 PM
Ditch the foil and either paint the insides white or get some diamond or white mylar to line it with.

You will need a carbon filter of some description to get rid of the smell.

If your on a tight budget an E40 bulb holder screwed to the side to hold the lamp would do.

Also I would have the 4-gang extension lead outside the grow area - water & electrics dont mix.

hitman_dot
09-11-09, 07:28 PM
oh ok, so ill pick up some mylar!

all the electronics will be put into a waterproof box as i am aware of the water/electric situation.

so how does the carbon filter work? where can i get one from and where & what would i have to hook it up to?

thanks!

hitman_dot
11-11-09, 03:30 PM
^^^bump^^^

ksailsbe2
18-11-09, 07:01 AM
You could try using fluorescents, they don't get very hot and you can get different kinds that put out different colors of light... for the vegetative period you want blue light. For the flowering stage you will want a mainly red light spectrum, but if you have room for 2, I would get a warm light spectrum and a blue light spectrum. Blue light helps stem and leaf growth and the warm spectrum helps grow buds/flowers. just a thought...

... also they save energy.

The Lost Soul
18-11-09, 11:04 PM
I'm not bein funny hitman, but why could'nt you have looked up this info through the site.
Look at hydro grow shop websites and you'll see what you need.
Tell you what pal, if you want, i'll grow your shit for you.... andn smoke it too.