PDA

View Full Version : Need help: Carbon Filter maybe? (get'n smelly)

Ronch
13-11-09, 04:07 AM
Hi, Im new here and new to growing too.
I am trying to get some info on a DIY carbon filter for 3 or less plant closet set-up.
I have a small closet set-up its a 2x5 ft floor space and about 8-9 ft hieght, two 100w cfl warm top reflectives and two side lighting vertical 50 to 75w normal tube floresants one warm n one cool, also have an 8" fan blowing now set on the 12/12 timer with the lights. I keep the closet doors (two sliding doors) cracked at both ends about 6" for ventalation. with 3 what look to be sativas one almost 30 inchs the other two just over 13 inches, all planted at the same time.

Well.... anyway I just started the 12/12 cycle tonight and know that the smell is only going to get stronger now. I live in very close proximity to my neighbors so I can not just vent into outside air, also I am the only person who knows of my growing and am not wanting a skunky smelling house when company shows up.

I am also not wanting to spend any more money than I already have on my set up unless it is absolutely nessissary... I've read a'lil about carbon filters and it sound interesting, can a DIY carbon filter be made that will be effective for at most 3 plants ?
Any help or comments are very welcome, Thanks !

widowsmite
13-11-09, 07:52 AM
yeah theres quiet a few DIY's on the web. Got to make sure u have a strong enough fan to pull though. I was going to try it with 12cm PC fans but they are no where near powerful enough. Im also growing 3 smelly plants in a space 3ft wide x 1.5 deep x 5 high and after looking at the solutions i decided it would be easier and maybe just even as cost effective to just get the proper thing. Fan, filter and ducting - £60.
I guess most of the DIY ones will work but if you make something sketchy for £40 and a couple of days work. I'd rather spend a bit more for piece of mind.
x

Ronch
13-11-09, 11:56 AM
Thanks widowsmite :stoned-smilie:
Looks like that is what I will end up doing, purchasing a vent fan and a short section of ductwork, I would really like to create a box with a large intake/filter area to hook the vent to though.
I'll look that part up on the web. Thank you again.

I live in a small community were everyone knows everyone including the mailman lol, I actually go to a city 30 plus miles away just to buy my bulbs, nutes and other growing necessities, and then wait till dark to unload the car, lol. trying to keep everything as low-profile as possible.

widowsmite
13-11-09, 12:10 PM
no worries dude, Yeah to make a filter i guess the main things are is that you have activated carbon (ebay £5) and make it air tight so that the air getting sucked is all going through the carbon and not leaking around the edges, also make sure there is about 1cm of carbon for the air to pass through. I say 1cm because that aprox what my proper filter is.....so i guess thats right lol!
x

Ronch
13-11-09, 12:24 PM
Cool beans,
I will make sure its air tight and get a powerful fan, would it hurt the air flow if I made the carbon even thicker than 1cm, like maybe 2cm ?
I get a lot of company at times, I can hide the light and sounds but not the smell 'yet'

widowsmite
13-11-09, 05:45 PM
You'll just have to try it mate! im sure my inline fan would be able to suck through a few cm's and thats only a budget one. Get a good inline fan :D