PDA

View Full Version : rockwool. ???? please help the shrubman :D

the shrubman
20-11-09, 07:07 PM
hi boys and girls
from what ive read rockwool is good for cuttings and seedlings. my question is ????

Can i use the big type of rockwool sheets you see on building sites?????. and no, not an entire sheet per cutting . i will cut the sheet into little cubes drrrrrr.

please no stupid answers.

its not a hydro grow. its outdoor baby. i chop my mothers (soil mothers) down mid march so the clones will be ready for the start of may. and was needing an easyier way to grow the clones :D .

that question again. can i use the rockwool sheets u see on building sites????? (used for insulation)

the shrubman
21-11-09, 02:10 PM
this is what im talking about

http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/Insulation-Boards/Kingspan-Thermapitch-TP10-Pitched-Roof-Insulation-Board.htm

hope that link works :stoned-smilie:

big syko 75
21-11-09, 03:09 PM
Hi mate a can't see why not but a could be wrong,i've rooted cuttings before in the white polystyrene stuff with no problems..:bigjoint:

Richie79
22-11-09, 10:00 AM
The big Kingspan sheets like that will be too dense I think mate. Rockwool has quite an open structure which is ideal for root growth and it absorbs and drains water very easily. I think the Kingspan will slow the rooting/growth if anything. These sheets are also treated with lots of nasty shit to help them from burning to quickly in the event of a fire etc. I grow in hydro and soil but I always root my cuttings in a soil/perlite mix and then transfer them to pots or to the rockwool from there. If the Kingspan is free though, why not give it a go, it may work after all! Maybe you could try and just root a couple of cuttings in it? Personally I'd go for the Cultilene or Grodan cubes, but if they are going back outside I'd just go with a soil/perlite mix.

GSXRnutter
22-11-09, 10:06 AM
Also kingspan is foookin expensive, what wrong with buying grodan cubes!

the shrubman
23-11-09, 01:49 AM
thanks for the advice people. think im gonna have to go with the cubes :(. that line about them being treated for fire resistant shit put me off.

also richie79 . how do you go from soil to rockwool. i know you can go from rockwool to soil but didnt think you could do it the other way round?

gsxrnutter its free if you know where to steal :smokie:

Richie79
23-11-09, 09:35 AM
Shrubman, I just take the cutting and put it into a moistened soil/perlite mix and leave it for a week or so to start showing roots. After this amount of time its pretty easy to clean any soil off and transfer into the cubes. Just make sure you soak your rockwool in ph'd water and you can add a drop of Formulex too if you like and they should be good to go

seanMcPot
23-11-09, 09:42 AM
if your going straight in to rockwool they'll be fine to go straight in to a jiffy pad then the rockwool(ive used this method before)