PDA

View Full Version : Tap water

Grape101
27-11-07, 04:17 PM
Right. I know you are supposed to leave tap water for 24 hours to stand so the chlorine eveapourates but it just occured to me that it should depend on what tap you get the water from.

The main cold water tap in your kitchen which is drinkable water comes from the main water pipe directly when you turn the tap on. However, most of the other taps in a house for example the bathroom, get their cold water feed from a cold water tank in the loft. The water in there would have been standing for a fair while in the loft so whats the need to stand it yourself?

Midnight Toker
27-11-07, 04:30 PM
The cold feed should come off of the rising main not the loft tank.

The loft tank is normally there for the hot water/heating system.

I would imagine that in the vast majority of homes this will be the case, but high rise flats etc may use a cold water storage tank to help balance out pressure etc during periods of high demand.

Any plumbers out there wanna wise us up ???

Blueberryog
28-11-07, 03:43 AM
Not that this in anyway benifits the conversation, but i use garden hose water for my hydro grows, then i use generic spring water to re-fill.

asci
28-11-07, 03:56 PM
Not that this in anyway benifits the conversation, but i use garden hose water for my hydro grows, then i use generic spring water to re-fill.

The problem with spring water is the heavy metals and other contaminants. You wonna watch that stuff mate..

ManicVeg
01-12-07, 12:30 PM
get your water from the kitchen, leave for 24 hours to get rid of the chlorine etc then bubble your water with an air pump (availble from aqaurium shops etc) for 20 mins or so to put air back into the water, use a watering can with a fine rose as this too helps to aerate the water.

one can even use pumps that are for blowing up airbeds/bounce castles etc.. but bubble your water is a must as if left to stand it loses oxygen.

select
03-12-07, 09:18 PM
why would you want it to lose its oxygen ? all plants need oxygen

Blueberryog
03-12-07, 11:46 PM
why would you want it to lose its oxygen ? all plants need oxygen

Hydroponic systems filter oxygen through pumps and circulation. A sand stone (which is what i use) takes air from an outside air pump and pushes it through compressed sand creating bubbles....making 02! lol good stuff

Thanks ASCI, i didnt know that!

lkdj2003
04-12-07, 09:04 PM
Brita filtered tap water left standing for 24 hours (no longer as ph will start to rise) will do you just nicely.

flatlander
13-03-08, 12:29 PM
Hi Guys,

my first post so hope this is not a daft idea. What about water conditioner used for reptiles(exo terra aquatize)? This takes the metals etc out of water so would it be okay for plants? Its only a couple of pound for a bottle. Worth a try?

PTB
13-03-08, 12:49 PM
Brita filtered tap water left standing for 24 hours (no longer as ph will start to rise) will do you just nicely.

well god damn. I've been filling up my water bottles just after I water my plants so the waters been there 2 or 3 days. Does this have a bad affect then?

ap23
13-03-08, 12:56 PM
Hmm.. I just use water straight out of the tap. The PH is a little high but not too bad. Plants aren't dead yet :laugh:

yavana
13-03-08, 01:32 PM
I let it sit for 24hrs to get the chlorine out, but after reading this I think it's gonna be bubbly 24/7...it'll probably help with my humidity issues too.