PDA

View Full Version : Comp Rule Change, Please read!

Ironman
17-03-19, 03:27 PM
Please be aware, as of today(17/03/2019) we will have a new rule in place for the 'Of The Month' competitions. The new rule will start from this months(March) voting poll. This new rule will replace the current rule 11 in 'Plant of the month' and 'Worst plant of the month'. The rule for 'Bud of the month' was implemented last month and can be seen as rule 9.

New Rule,

Members may not use their one vote to vote for themselves, it is a public vote and anyone seen self voting will be disqualified from the competition.

Thank you for your time.

Iron

WhIpLaSh
17-03-19, 03:32 PM
Please be aware, as of today(17/03/2019) we will have a new rule in place for the 'Of The Month' competitions. The new rule will start from this months(March) voting poll. This new rule will replace the current rule 11 in 'Plant of the month' and 'Worst plant of the month'. The rule for 'Bud of the month' was implemented last month and can be seen as rule 9.

New Rule,

Members may not use their one vote to vote for themselves, it is a public vote and anyone seen self voting will be disqualified from the competition.

Thank you for your time.

IronHahaha ffs [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Jeff
19-03-19, 02:40 AM

New Rule,

Thank you for your time.

IronCan you still sell your vote?

M_C
19-03-19, 11:38 AM
Can you still sell your vote?

So long as I can ban anyone who does ;)

Zen Archer
19-03-19, 03:44 PM
Very interesting rule change. I agree it sucks to self vote, but it's been acceptable here since before I joined in Feb 2011. I agree with the change for what it's worth, but think disqualification may be harsh, a two vote deduction would have been sufficient imo. :)

M_C
19-03-19, 04:29 PM
It was Mods & Admin who kept the self vote, members have always hated it & have petitioned many times for it to be removed.

It was the members who wrote the rules for BOTM & the feed back was that if self voting was allowed on BOTM then the members did not want the comp!

Mods & Admin have always allowed self voting as we all know what it can be like in the final day or two of POTM & you are the only one without a single vote :( We understood that, under those circumstances, that self voting was acceptable. However, now, as soon as the poll goes up, the self voting starts & we can no longer accept it :(

In BOTM, as no one has been checking, people have been self voting too and, on some occasions, it has changed what the outcome should have been - And that is despite the threat of disqualification! What can we do?

So, I agree Zen it is a very sad day when we have to change the rule, not least because I was one of those that have insisted in the past it remained :( We thought about point deduction but it just doesn't work. 3 points would be the absolute minimum deduction to ensure things got towards fairness but why should Mods & Admin have to do this when members won't abide by the rules?

19-03-19, 04:35 PM
This doesn't seem logical to me.

For example if me and you are the clear favourites to win, both on 20 something votes each whilst nobody else has more than a couple of votes. Would I vote for you and potentially screw myself out of a victory?

I understand the need for a change, imagine the same scenario as above but I vote for myself and you vote for someone else then I win by one point. Thats clearly not fair.

I think the fairest way is no vote for anyone who enters, either that or you have to vote for yourself (to help pump the number of actual voters)

I've never actually entered so I'm not proposing we channge the rules just to keep me happy, I just read through the thread and saw something illogical is all.

M_C
19-03-19, 04:39 PM
imagine the same scenario as above but I vote for myself and you vote for someone else then I win by one point. Thats clearly not fair.

That, I'm sorry to say, is exactly what has been happening & what has forced the rule change :(

The idea of no entrants being allowed to vote sounds reasonable but, in reality, is too hard for us to police :(

Sadface
19-03-19, 04:58 PM
However I do feel anybody entering the comps should have to cast a vote

Easy-T
19-03-19, 04:59 PM
It was Mods & Admin who kept the self vote, members have always hated it & have petitioned many times for it to be removed.

It was the members who wrote the rules for BOTM & the feed back was that if self voting was allowed on BOTM then the members did not want the comp!

Mods & Admin have always allowed self voting as we all know what it can be like in the final day or two of POTM & you are the only one without a single vote :( We understood that, under those circumstances, that self voting was acceptable. However, now, as soon as the poll goes up, the self voting starts & we can no longer accept it :(

In BOTM, as no one has been checking, people have been self voting too and, on some occasions, it has changed what the outcome should have been - And that is despite the threat of disqualification! What can we do?

So, I agree Zen it is a very sad day when we have to change the rule, not least because I was one of those that have insisted in the past it remained :( We thought about point deduction but it just doesn't work. 3 points would be the absolute minimum deduction to ensure things got towards fairness but why should Mods & Admin have to do this when members won't abide by the rules?I didn't get a single vote on botm potm, didn't even think about voting for myself just not right imo, if you win bonus if you don't you've got a couple of jars to console yourself

From the groom

CityDweller
19-03-19, 05:12 PM
Good rule. I never would have thought that we have self voters. While it has been tempting to self vote just to see one vote next to my name there is something about it that feels wrong.

Macky
19-03-19, 05:23 PM
What about when Ginge made them accounts for his nan, two brothers, sister, dog, and alter ego to steal the sunflower bling from under my nose??? ;) lmao

gardro
19-03-19, 05:57 PM
If we want a fair vote, you cannot get more unfair than a vote that is open to external influence from start to finish.

You either check the integrity of all votes and user accounts and have rules for all that, or remember its just a bit of fun.....

Clearly all this discussion demonstrates the passion and quality we strive towards on thctalk.

ggotch
19-03-19, 05:57 PM
tbh,im unsure if anyones sussed me but i often vote for entries that i know wont get votes normally,quite disheartening to get zero votes in any competition and i know even a single vote would change that and like to think ive created a burst of happiness,however brief.

http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/4820/shh.gif (http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/186817/title/gifs/cat/4820)

M_C
19-03-19, 06:06 PM
If we want a fair vote, you cannot get more unfair than a vote that is open to external influence from start to finish.

You either check the integrity of all votes and user accounts and have rules for all that, or remember its just a bit of fun.....

Clearly all this discussion demonstrates the passion and quality we strive towards on thctalk.

The trouble is, it's no longer fun when Mods & Admin are sticking their hands in their own pockets for prizes :(

thelastrebel
19-03-19, 06:06 PM
Good to have an agreed position either way. In a lot of competitions it's seen as perfectly normal to self vote, elections for example, and there's no reason to consider it foul play because it's just the done thing. Much easier that way it seems to me because there's nothing to enforce.

If there are people here though that consider it unfair to vote for yourself then it's probably for the best to just ban it. Seems a strange situation all round, really, but I'm sure the decision will pan out fine. Whatever is needed to keep the comps good natured gets my vote.

That is, as long as someone else had the idea it gets my vote!

gardro
19-03-19, 06:18 PM
The trouble is, it's no longer fun when Mods & Admin are sticking their hands in their own pockets for prizes :(I think its the bling most are after to be honest and pride just taking part in comps and as a way of getting involved in the talk.

M_C
19-03-19, 06:22 PM
I think its the bling most are after to be honest and pride just taking part in comps and as a way of getting involved in the talk.Totally agree, that is why BOTM & WPOTM are prizeless :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Zen Archer
19-03-19, 07:02 PM
tbh,im unsure if anyones sussed me but i often vote for entries that i know wont get votes normally,quite disheartening to get zero votes in any competition and i know even a single vote would change that and like to think ive created a burst of happiness,however brief.

http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/4820/shh.gif (http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/186817/title/gifs/cat/4820)

That's a credit to you mate :)

WhIpLaSh
19-03-19, 07:04 PM

http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/4820/shh.gif (http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/186817/title/gifs/cat/4820)Talk shit. Where were you when I entered BOTM and WPOTM? This guy.

Subterranean Man
19-03-19, 07:36 PM
Just my tuppence worth ,

Is there no option in the VBulletin setup to stop voting for yourself ?

Oh and it’s totally about the bling [emoji2960]

ggotch
19-03-19, 07:49 PM
Talk shit. Where were you when I entered BOTM and WPOTM? This guy.
http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/4820/spit.gif (http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/186818/title/gifs/cat/4820),,,i had to let nature take its course in your case http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/4820/finger.gif (http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/186822/title/more-gifs/cat/4820)

AND
19-03-19, 07:57 PM

Talk shit. Where were you when I entered BOTM and WPOTM? This guy.

Totally agree Whippy...I got naff all votes in the only BOTM & POTM I entered...lucky I don't give a shit...sniff...sniff :)

I got all the votes in WPOTM, however, cos it was a clear winner...pure shyte :)

M_C
19-03-19, 08:00 PM
Just my tuppence worth ,

Is there no option in the VBulletin setup to stop voting for yourself ?

There is no way for us to do that, a shame as it would be a way forward...

Easy-T
19-03-19, 08:05 PM
Can't you make it so you can see who has voted and who for, had it like that before for some comps

From the groom

M_C
19-03-19, 08:08 PM
Can't you make it so you can see who has voted and who for, had it like that before for some comps

By default the forum software hides voters... we need to teach the Mods how to hit the 'make votes public' button as it can't be changed once the poll goes up...

Macky
19-03-19, 08:08 PM
By default the forum software hides voters... we need to teach the Mods how to hit the 'make votes public' button as it can't be changed once the poll goes up...

Noted! Lol

WhIpLaSh
19-03-19, 08:11 PM
http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/4820/spit.gif (http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/186818/title/gifs/cat/4820),,,i had to let nature take its course in your case http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/4820/finger.gif (http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/186822/title/more-gifs/cat/4820)

Glad you took it in the spirit it was intended haha :mutz nutz:

Totally agree Whippy...I got naff all votes in the only BOTM & POTM I entered...lucky I don't give a shit...sniff...sniff :)

I got all the votes in WPOTM, however, cos it was a clear winner...pure shyte :)

Just a bit of fun, innit? :)

CityDweller
19-03-19, 08:11 PM
Mods should start giving us all 1 pity vote so we don't feel so bad looking at our no vote entries. Lol.

Easy-T
19-03-19, 08:14 PM
Mods should start giving us all 1 pity vote so we don't feel so bad looking at our no vote entries. Lol.Or make it when you enter, your vote automatically goes to yourself, everyone then starts on 1

From the groom

AND
19-03-19, 08:20 PM
Mods should start giving us all 1 pity vote so we don't feel so bad looking at our no vote entries. Lol.

I 2nd that, lol ;)

Or make it when you enter, your vote automatically goes to yourself, everyone then starts on 1

From the groom

Not everyone that votes has entered P/BOTM though...sounded like a good plan until I thought about it :laugh: sorry Easy

British green
19-03-19, 08:23 PM

Didn't we use to be able too see voting publicly and it caused a stink ?

[emoji636] in a green and pleasant land [emoji636]

UpT0wn
19-03-19, 08:26 PM
For myself its all about the bling and respect from the talk to even get any votes. Always full of stunners and unfortunately I havent grown anything that comes.

Saying that every time I look at my plants I think of that trophy lol Be a long time coming though since I cant tip the scales ;-) pmsl No glory in that though right?

gardro
19-03-19, 08:26 PM

[emoji636] in a green and pleasant land [emoji636]I can see animosity for sure but then the rule states the vote will be public so perhaps the words need revising.

British green
19-03-19, 08:27 PM
I entered plant of the month 9 months out of 12 for two years before I won . If ya want it ya will work for it .
I've been against some tuff competition in them times.
I had to listen to Loki to understand it's a cat walk . Has to be the right picture the right background etc etc
It's a competition not supposed to be easy
Ffs snowflakes [emoji23]

Easy-T
19-03-19, 08:29 PM
I 2nd that, lol ;)

Not everyone that votes has entered P/BOTM though...sounded like a good plan until I thought about it [emoji23] sorry EasyNo just the entrants have their vote going to themselves [emoji23] so everyone starts on 1

From the groom

Ironman
19-03-19, 08:33 PM
I enjoy the FUN in looking and deciding which plant I'd like to see in my own groom. If I've entered a plant it doesn't even come into play. Wheres the FUN in choosing your own plant? Its already in your groom!

If I couldn't vote for the best plant because my own plant is entered then that's the FUN gone from the comp. I'd rather vote than enter a plant if that's the case.

These comps were put together for FUN and entertainment value for members. I'm sure we all want a Plaque and the bling but personally, I'd like them on merit more than anything else.

Everyone is different and that's why the rules have changed.

So please let's just make all the comps FUN and enjoyable for everyone please, that's all we are trying to do! [emoji16]

[emoji1008]Sent from Thames Iron works[emoji1008]

M_C
19-03-19, 08:39 PM

It was the POTM that caused the issue so we stopped showing who voted

AND
19-03-19, 08:42 PM
100% agree Iron...I love looking at the different plants, for ages sometimes too...especially lately...I vote on the plant I like for my own reasons, no political, no clique, no mates and no tactical...

We could always do it the same way the UK democratic vote works...we all vote for who we want then admin fucks with the numbers...re arranges and the winner is THEIR choice :laugh: consistsnt but unfair...just like the UK :)

UpT0wn
19-03-19, 08:42 PM
I enjoy the FUN in looking and deciding which plant I'd like to see in my own groom. If I've entered a plant it doesn't even come into play. Wheres the FUN in choosing your own plant? Its already in your groom!

If I couldn't vote for the best plant because my own plant is entered then that's the FUN gone from the comp. I'd rather vote than enter a plant if that's the case.

These comps were put together for FUN and entertainment value for members. I'm sure we all want a Plaque and the bling but personally, I'd like them on merit more than anything else.

Everyone is different and that's why the rules have changed.

So please let's just make all the comps FUN and enjoyable for everyone please, that's all we are trying to do! [emoji16]

[emoji1008]Sent from Thames Iron works[emoji1008]Fun to play the game too haha colours always do well ;-)

I think if you get no votes then try harder lol ;-)

AND
19-03-19, 08:46 PM
No just the entrants have their vote going to themselves [emoji23] so everyone starts on 1

From the groom

Haha, missed the when you enter bit :laugh: makes perfect sense now :stoned-smilie:

gardro
19-03-19, 08:47 PM
I remember a little while back talking about engagement and getting more people to vote.

I think we can see theres plenty of engagement here which is a great thing.

M_C
19-03-19, 08:50 PM
I remember a little while back talking about engagement and getting more people to vote.

Plenty of engagement but how do we turn that engagement into votes?

gardro
19-03-19, 08:52 PM
Plenty of engagement but how do we turn that engagement into votes?As i understand, at the time we couldnt vote through Tapa due to our "Heritage" VB version. Is it still the case since our upgrade?

M_C
19-03-19, 08:58 PM
As i understand, at the time we couldnt vote through Tapa due to our "Heritage" VB version. Is it still the case since our upgrade?

Tapa doesn't support polls the way I see it. You can do polls on tapas desktop site (which I think has confused people)

AND
19-03-19, 09:01 PM

Going to stick my neck out and say the engagement here is probably the core voters...think theres usually 45 or so voters ish, theres maybe 28 of them in this thread

Cant we just name & shame the self voters as previously mentioned by someone who shall remain nameless as I've forgotten...as for voters in general...any way of a system generated PM to link people to the OTM with a SMALL REMINDER TO VOTE YOU BASTARDS

Or voting is done by Brown users & above :)

Subterranean Man
19-03-19, 09:12 PM

Bros for life [emoji1360]

All about the bling , and WPOTM is the hardest to bag [emoji2960]

gardro
19-03-19, 09:34 PM
Going to stick my neck out and say the engagement here is probably the core voters...think theres usually 45 or so voters ish, theres maybe 28 of them in this thread

Cant we just name & shame the self voters as previously mentioned by someone who shall remain nameless as I've forgotten...as for voters in general...any way of a system generated PM to link people to the OTM with a SMALL REMINDER TO VOTE YOU BASTARDS

Or voting is done by Brown users & above :)100% mate and the more peoples views, thoughts and ideas are seen and heard, the better.

We dont know what what dont know at this stage hence we are asking how to drive engagement further.

ggotch
19-03-19, 09:37 PM

would have one-tick'd you chap,trub is i havent been online that much since xmas,fings happening,people dying etc,normal for my age group but takes it out of you and leaves you empty n knackered hence i dissapear sometimes.

ive seen your grow n ill make sure and give you a tick next time... :laugh:

ggotch
19-03-19, 09:49 PM
more positive and thought out input in this thread than the whole brexit debacle,you lot should push the politicians aside and take over imo. :nod:

in fact you might well have to.

thelastrebel
19-03-19, 10:03 PM
more positive and thought out input in this thread than the whole brexit debacle,you lot should push the politicians aside and take over imo. :nod:

Insane public voting scandals of the 21st century - Brexit, Donald Trump and now self-voting in POTM

gardro
19-03-19, 10:05 PM
Insane public voting scandals of the 21st century - Brexit, Donald Trump and now self-voting in POTMMissed Hitler off mate

M_C
19-03-19, 10:11 PM
Missed Hitler off mate

http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/4769/hitler.gif (http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/184710/title/hitler/cat/4769)

thelastrebel
19-03-19, 10:12 PM
Missed Hitler off mate

Fuck me did Hitler vote for his own plant as well? Always knew he was a bad egg, that one.

gardro
19-03-19, 10:13 PM
http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/4769/hitler.gif (http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/184710/title/hitler/cat/4769)It would be a bit harsh to say you get what you deserve in that election

AND
19-03-19, 10:14 PM
Bros for life [emoji1360]

All about the bling , and WPOTM is the hardest to bag [emoji2960]

You know it Sub...not everyone can grow shit ;)

100% mate and the more peoples views, thoughts and ideas are seen and heard, the better.

We dont know what what dont know at this stage hence we are asking how to drive engagement further.

I'm full of thoughts and ideas...most of them totally irrelevant :)

would have one-tick'd you chap,trub is i havent been online that much since xmas,fings happening,people dying etc,normal for my age group but takes it out of you and leaves you empty n knackered hence i dissapear sometimes.

ive seen your grow n ill make sure and give you a tick next time... :laugh:

No probs mate...was only kidding...Its really not an issue. It will be, however, when I think I have a worthy winner and no one votes :laugh:

Subterranean Man
19-03-19, 11:48 PM

Na , I’m Scottish [emoji2960]

Cleargreen
23-03-19, 06:44 PM

With not being allowed to self vote I'm sure we'll get more pity votes anyway, contestants will be more likely to give a pity vote than to vote on entries that are likely to be their competition for first place :laugh:

For that reason I think it would be better is contestants don't vote at all but M_C already mentioned that's not an option

Valentina
23-03-19, 06:52 PM

People need to be told this...? Kinda goes without saying, surely? WTAF! SMH.