PDA

View Full Version : Vertical lamps

LAL
15-12-07, 03:41 PM
https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/500/trtyjtyty.jpg

Relatively new to the UK market, vertical lamp reflectors have been sold in the US and Australian markets for years and are growing in popularity all the time.

In a standard reflector the lamp is mounted horizontally with the light and heat being directed downwards into a concentrated area below the reflector, this works fine in most situations but there are two occasions where vertical lamp reflectors provide a useful alternative.

The first is where large areas are being covered when growing in soil, plants are put under less pressure, the soil therefore stays fresher for longer with less chance of nutrient imbalances later in the plants life.

The second and most relevant application is in grow tents. Using a vertical lamp reflector creates a totally different environment within the tent with the light being distributed much more evenly throughout the growing area, the results are a much more even canopy, healthier plants and increased yields. One of the main problems with using horizontal grow lights in grow tents is that when plants get big they can get scorched if they grow to close to the lamp, whereas with the Parabolics the heat is pushed out and away from the plant before being extracted out of the tent via the extractor fan or carbon filter.

Whilst these reflectors are not ideal for every growing situation due to their size (1 metre diameter), if you can fit one into your growing area then give it a go, you will not be disappointed. Highly recommended.

these really do look quality, and whats even better, were going to get to see them being used by a genuine pro, ..... keep your eyes peeled everyone, this is gonna be big for sure....;)

Bitterfly
15-12-07, 05:19 PM
madness mate!!

i will look further into this for sure tho!

Diaper
15-12-07, 05:51 PM
They do sound rather interesting don't they, aside from the fact they look like something Marry Poppins might float down on!

lkdj2003
15-12-07, 09:38 PM
Great post LAL, they do look the :mutz nutz:, very well built. I can see fully why they will help pentrate the light much deeper/better into the canopy of your plant's, they use every last lumen from the bulb. :pimped:

Even better is how the heat goes up through the hole where the bulb fit's, drawing all the heat straight out and up to your extractor. :joint:

Fantastic kit, im really looking forward to seeing them in action for sure. :bump: :cowboy:

green_machine
18-12-07, 04:22 PM
They are good in a square area but personally I prefer batwings in a rectangular area.
And the parabolic one's such as above are the go, unlike the smooth dome one's that are only decent with a MH for vegging IMHO.
You do get mostly reflected light thus less intensity from verticals (unless you're in a cage etc) so matching the size of the room to the shade is important.

Even better is how the heat goes up through the hole where the bulb fit's, drawing all the heat straight out and up to your extractor.
Yeah that is the go - the one's with a solid mounting plate are ok too but if you have a choice...

Looking forward to seeing the grow with them LAL

green_machine :leaf:

LAL
18-12-07, 04:55 PM
hey GM, hows it going mate... looking through all the info about these vertical lamps it does say that they are only really beneficial for use in grow tents, and generally they are square.... i can definately see why they would not be that great in rectangluar areas,.... poor distribution of light!..

looking forward to seeing these lights in action tho, and i know the person using them will surely get our mouths watering as usual!!!

lkdj2003
22-12-07, 05:06 AM
looking forward to seeing these lights in action tho, and i know the person using them will surely get our mouths watering as usual!!!

I agree mate, they will pull off some great results im very sure with there new lights from Green's (http://www.greenshorticulture.co.uk/). :eek: :weed: :dance2:

They will work far better in a tent like you say, but the way they reflect the light in all angles is going to be very very interesting indeed. :toke:

green_machine
23-12-07, 07:49 AM
If you are using a china hat shade in a small area then direct exhaust ducting is the way to go - this fella has made one from ducting and a cardboard box...

green_machine :toke:

Midnight Toker
23-12-07, 12:05 PM
Now that is a good idea GG .... that would almost turn the thing into a coolshade ...

Ragemonkey
23-12-07, 02:57 PM
In Jorge cervantes's Ultimate grow guide he slags these shades off , But theres been alot of speculation over his "expertise" recently so im not sure if its anything to listen too . Anyway im sure we will find out how decent these shades are soon :]

Dinxuk
23-12-07, 09:23 PM
I think its down to opinion hes been about enough to have tried em and i know he doesnt like anything with a bend etc in anything but hes in a better position to try everything there is and will a shade like this will be beneficial to most people im sure that use one he does say there excellent for even coverage and spread in vegetation as vegetation needs less light but he doesnt say there are any better versions of them so im sure there not to bad.

Tom
25-12-07, 04:44 AM
Like it says in the product review on the Green's website these reflectors are really all about grow tents, I don't know when Jorge wrote that book but he probably wasn't considering this style of growing...

Correct me if i'm wrong, I haven't got a copy of the book so just guessing...

:greet:

Tom
25-12-07, 04:51 AM
Ah, would the Ulimate Growers Guide be the DVD version that he did in 2005, if so that blows my theory out the water... :(

Dinxuk
25-12-07, 10:03 AM
it is a dvd version but not sure when it was released to be honest.He does visit many growrooms in it with vertical reflectors etc.Theres a link to download the dvd version on the site and is well worth watching.

Diaper
30-12-07, 06:09 PM
Ah, would the Ulimate Growers Guide be the DVD version that he did in 2005, if so that blows my theory out the water... :(

I'm intrigued as to your theory Tom?

Tom
31-12-07, 05:56 AM
I'm intrigued as to your theory Tom?

Diaper,

It was simply that what Jorge said regarding not liking vertical lamp reflectors may have been written before grow tents became so widespread, but in 2005 they were already very much in use. I'll have a look at the DVD, sounds interesting.

Tom.

Diaper
31-12-07, 10:43 AM
I think I bought my first tent early 2005, at which time they were unheard of in the u.k at least. I paid over £160 for what I believe was an early prototype. It was a one off sale on ebay, and the zippers didn't open as intended.
Enough old bolloxs this thread is about vertical reflectors/lamps which I think might well be just the ticket for a 1.2 m tent. My only concern would be temps and extraction. I also like to run a scrubber INSIDE the tent, so that to may effect headroom. But, it appears the reflectors sag a little so corner placement of a scrubber should be fine.

lkdj2003
01-01-08, 03:44 PM
Righty ho then, a very good freind of THC has bought two of these new vertical lights from greens for two of our members to have and do full reports/diarys using these new lights so we can all see how they perform.

The two lads will have there diarys up in the grow diary section if you would like to follow them. :smokie:

The two lucky members are Midnight toker and Diaper. I think you will all agree that these two growers will get the most out of these lights. :harvest:

A very big thanks to our THC freind for making this possible. https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Good luck lads and im really looking forward to seeing your grows under way. :pimped:

Bitterfly
01-01-08, 04:01 PM
Righty ho then, a very good freind of THC has bought two of these new vertical lights from greens for two of our members to have and do full reports/diarys using these new lights so we can all see how they perform.

The two lads will have there diarys up in the grow diary section if you would like to follow them. :smokie:

The two lucky members are Midnight toker and Diaper. I think you will all agree that these two growers will get the most out of these lights. :harvest:

A very big thanks to our THC freind for making this possible. https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Good luck lads and im really looking forward to seeing your grows under way. :pimped:

what a brilliant idea, i wonder who the mystery donator is??

but its sweet your getting diaps and MT to do it, i know they'll do a bang on job :D

lkdj2003
01-01-08, 04:13 PM
what a brilliant idea, i wonder who the mystery donator is??

Im afraid they have to stay a secret bit's. https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Midnight Toker
01-01-08, 04:16 PM
Well now that the secret is out, I can finally say something !! .. dont ya just hate having to keep secrets that you wanna share .. :dance2:

For now at least our mystery benefactor wishes to remain anonymous but i'd like to say a public very big thank you for putting your hand in your pocket, and an even bigger one for choosing me as one of the testers, i do feel very privilaged to be asked ... great to have friends innit ... :greet: :mr:.

A quick heads up for now :

the new vertical system was installed in my XL budbox over the holiday & i now have 10 babies lapping up all that lovely light, I wont say anymore just yet as the new diary will be starting later today if i have time to type up all my notes, i'm out for lunch in a bit but hopefully i'll do it tonight.

Initial thoughts on the new light:

excellent spread of light that i think will really benefit anything you put under them.

More later, i can breath again now that's out in the open !! ..

Have a good day all.

MT.

Diaper
01-01-08, 04:23 PM
Yes it is a shame, as I for one would like to shake them by the hand before shoving a phatty in it!

Thank you, thank you whoever you may be!

Midnight Toker
01-01-08, 04:40 PM
Well i'm sure that as long as we all keep supporting greens & make public our efforts to showcase these excellent pieces of kit everyone concerned will be happy :headbang:

this should defo be my best grow yet (females permitting !)

lkdj2003
01-01-08, 04:41 PM
Really looking forward to watching your grow's and seeing these lights in action. Im sure they will be the :mutz nutz:

Bitterfly
01-01-08, 05:58 PM
aWWW man i cant take it!!

i hate secrets!

blue widow
01-01-08, 06:10 PM
well, must say lads this is the 1st time av actually went rite thru this thread and have to say, good stuff by the mystery donator, and am sure oor 2 top growers will do them lamps justice ;)

good luck guys!!!