PDA

View Full Version : upgrade or not?

Ragman
04-02-10, 11:44 PM
I need you good people to let me know if you think we should update the forum software to the latest version of vbulletin, we have had this current version for 2 1/2 years now and there has been many updates to the vbulletin software sinse which might benefit THC

anyway let me know what you think

yoko2009
04-02-10, 11:46 PM
i assume this will mean the site will go down for a while?? if so how long approx?? apart from that surely an updates a good thing!

Gary C
04-02-10, 11:49 PM
well im the kind of guy who likes to use what i know and dont normally like change on these sites but i rekon youd make it look swank so why not!

swank is good btw lol

Ragman
04-02-10, 11:50 PM
I doubt the site would be down for to long BUT it would mean that our current theme would not be compatible with the new software and a lot of the modifications that have been added would also not be compatible

seanMcPot
04-02-10, 11:50 PM
im pretty new to thc so it would just confuse me for a few days

Marley13
04-02-10, 11:54 PM
hhmmm ye i think it woul be confusing too, i like the site the way it is :D home away from home lol

bubbs
05-02-10, 12:07 AM
im not sure i like change, im getting old now :o

Muller
05-02-10, 12:10 AM
Im not to keen on change myself and we have every thing we need write here dont we.

Eggbox
05-02-10, 01:10 AM
I love this forum, and have gotten very used to it over the years, so much so that I know where to click before the page has loaded half the time! And the design's spot on :) I've become very familiar with it and I'd be sad to see this theme totally gone.. However, my main concern is security. With updates to things like forum software, as with most software, is patching various loopholes and security exploits that are found as time goes on and the product is tested. And at this forum security should be top priority! Every day hackers are looking for ways to get people's private information because at the end of the day - info = money, and there's a fair amount of personal info on this forum that we need to keep safe. You upgrade/update your antivirus don't you? You should update everything you use daily on yer computer IMO :laugh:

I know the theme's lovely, and it works very nicely but I'm sure the new version will have some shiny new features too!

I think that if we do upgrade, we should either have a competition to design a theme for the new software, or find a member willing to spend a bit of their time to make one outright. I know there's a few of you web dev'ers out there - anyone fancy doing a favour? :p

Ragman, do you have any idea any features we might lose due to addons we have currently not being compatible?

Marley13
05-02-10, 01:14 AM
yeah eggbox maybe we dont like it but our safety comes first so what ever needs be i say

good work you do we love ya for it :D peace

ViK
05-02-10, 01:35 AM
Bah, ignore the luddites! They just dunno what they're missing yet :)

V4 is a big improvement, too many plus points to mention. Faster, prettier, more useful and user friendly, better search feature, thread preview, in-page chat facebook-style, picture resizing, better gallery management, a few features which Ragman might appreciate, and plug-in-arcade-games-with-tournament-scoreboard. That's right suckers.

Gary C
05-02-10, 01:40 AM
Bah, ignore the luddites! They just dunno what they're missing yet :)

V4 is a big improvement, too many plus points to mention. Faster, prettier, more useful and user friendly, better search feature, thread preview, in-page chat facebook-style, picture resizing, better gallery management, a few features which Ragman might appreciate, and plug-in-arcade-games-with-tournament-scoreboard. That's right suckers.

that will get everyone voting change for sure lol :yeah mate:

Marley13
05-02-10, 01:41 AM
ye change my vote if you can :D :D

greenfingers
05-02-10, 02:20 AM
i voted for change,as eggbox said its about security,i think the episode with the malware was a good indication there needs to be an update imo

The_Hunter
05-02-10, 02:37 AM
i voted for change,as eggbox said its about security,i think the episode with the malware was a good indication there needs to be an update imo

one off i think that hole has been plugged but security is a big part of our community

could we see an update sheet like bug fixs and what not?

AllAboutM.E
05-02-10, 02:49 AM
Eggbox's post swayed my vote, but then, I am an easy whore like that.

duggie20091
05-02-10, 02:54 AM
well ime new to this site and it's shithot,it's all pretty straight forward and easy to use,just hope if it changes that it does'nt get all complicated cause i know nothing about computers

bergkamp
05-02-10, 08:06 AM
ive no idea what your on about to be honest - but if you get a arcade with the new one put me down for update.

Monty Bong
05-02-10, 09:08 AM
If the upgrade increases the security of the members then I vote for change, not really bothered about an arcade tbh.

Mc Mellow
05-02-10, 09:57 AM
I dont mind at all aslong as it stays green, any shade of green i like lime most :dance2:

chanandler bong
05-02-10, 10:15 AM
i vote to change as obviously we need security more than anything and anyways i bet most people wont even notice lol
probs take me 5 mins to get me head round it 2bf its only like u have just started on the forum but u know where to post things and what to do its just gonna be mix modged for a few days lol

greenfingers
05-02-10, 11:34 AM
one off i think that hole has been plugged but security is a big part of our community

could we see an update sheet like bug fixs and what not?

haha sorry i think i phrased it wrong,didnt menat to sound like it was an ongoing struggle!but yeah considering whats on the forum etc extra security is always welcome

plus hopefully would mean less worry for the staff,they do enough as it is :mr:

Bitterfly
05-02-10, 11:47 AM
I love thctalks simple, warm and inviting look; I've been here from trhe very start.

But i think it's now time to evolve, I don't know what the new version looks like but i want to see tHC get blinged up:dj: i hope it looks all sleek and shiny :d

of course the security thing is the main thing :D

must say im excited now!

Bong_on_1988
05-02-10, 01:35 PM
I vote for change LOL.

Marley13
05-02-10, 02:38 PM
just a quick question whens the change plan on going ahead?

Eggbox
05-02-10, 03:11 PM
I'd assume it'd be dependant on the response to this thread, but assuming we were to go ahead, preparing the forum would probably take a wee while.. But the actual upgrade process should take less than a few hours.. That is.. Should. We all know what things can be like with computers :laugh:

Tay
05-02-10, 04:31 PM
i've been looking at the new features on the vbulletin site, seems quite cool. been looking for more pics... anyone got screenshots of cool templates?

i'll reserve my vote for now, i've been liking the recent changes but...:confused:

Munkeyboi
05-02-10, 05:43 PM
I would 250% say upgrade.

I do understand that any themes and customizations you've done might have to be rejigged and some mods/addons might become obsolete.

But i have some forum experience and updated versions of the vBulletin would no doubt improve security and incorporate what Vbulletin have leared from other users of the years.

I think its a must do, despite the headache its gonna cause ya rags.

on the plus side, if you can give us the specs/dimensions/whatevers for buttons/images/graphics needed, or styles or whatever, am sure this nutty bunch of stoners will throw a ton at you

my 2p worth

Grub
05-02-10, 05:59 PM
If it aint broke, why try and fix it!?

The best thing about THC Talk over other similar sites is it's simplicity.

;)

GrassHopper
05-02-10, 06:03 PM
Just for the new search feature alone I'd say yes, I think the current one is a bit naff tbh. Well I struggle to find stuff anyway.

seanMcPot
05-02-10, 07:22 PM
im say upgrade!!
the new update sounds pretty good!!

RFC_Thistle
06-02-10, 04:16 PM
think i would upgrade, better security for a start.

Bethmeg
12-02-10, 02:52 PM
I agree with Grub.Im a member on a few sites but only ever use THCT. All the other sites seem to have too much going on to me, too much to look at that ya actually cant find what your looking for.Thats y I love THCT for the simplicity.
If the upgrade goes ahead I hope it dosnt complicate things,Altho Im sure I will get used to it. Im from the stoneage I dont want to live in the now
When Im stood at the checkout for hours because the girl cant serve me because her computers gone down Im like "Bring back tills lol"
So I voted no
Stoneage rocks!!!

Peace

Wrams
19-02-10, 03:14 PM
Its completely up to you if you want to, The main reason to upgrade would be to remove bugs etc etc and if your going to upgrade to VB 4.1 then you will have your work cut out making it look like this forums does now.

If you do upgrade and want to edit the look and feel of the new upgrade then I would certainly download WAMP server so you can host your upgrade locally on your own PC and make all changes locally then once you have your forums how you want it just change everything over. Don't forget to put the forums in Maintainance Mode before you do any changes or you may lose everything that the database hasn't saved.

Hope this helps ;)

Basil
19-02-10, 03:50 PM
http://susty.com/image/obama-speaking-campaigning-presidential-election-2008-crows-change-we-can-believe-in-sign-finger-point-placard-photo.jpg

Even though the layout needs no change, it's worth it for the extra security.

Captain Scarlet
19-02-10, 04:25 PM
AS others have said it's the simplicity of this site that make's it so popular, I joined another site the other day & compared to THCtalk it was quite frankly a waste of sign-up time, I went in the chat thingy they had & said hello & all that & 40mins later still not 1 acknowledgement, by contrast when I went on the THC chat for the first time, it was about 10 sec's before EVERYONE in chat said hello. Security always comes first so voting yes, but the majority wins in my eyes as that's how democracy works doesn't it?:D

Wrams
20-02-10, 04:14 PM
If your really worried about security then thats no problem. You can secure your websites/forums without updating the site itself. Theres a lot of different ways to secure a website, 1 would be add an SSL Certificate to the site changing the http:// to https:// which also gives you a green or blue address bar and will stop hackers from gaining access. I have them on my websites and they are great.

If you want more info on them give me a shout and I will be able to help you out with SSL Security. :)

Chewy
21-02-10, 03:40 AM
Change is inevitable really if not now then one day, so might as well grab the bull by the horns and take the plunge......

I'm not a web designer, but a graphic designer, and would be willing to help with the design of the forum, or enter in a competition on the new look....

samhain
03-03-10, 02:24 PM
If it aint broke, why try and fix it!?

The best thing about THC Talk over other similar sites is it's simplicity.

;)
I agree , Not enjoying this new Vbulletin , you might have made a fatal error here with this one .
As bob dylan said "the only thing that stays the same is change "
Wish i voted for it to stay the same .

Tay
03-03-10, 02:26 PM
what in particular don't you like about the new version? i'm pretty chuffed with it. only gripe is, it's rather fiddly to use on my phone.

samhain
03-03-10, 02:35 PM
what in particular don't you like about the new version? i'm pretty chuffed with it. only gripe is, it's rather fiddly to use on my phone.

It's like i need to learn a new language . i was intimate with the auld style and liked it's workings .
Dont know how to search or use all the features now . If it'll resize pics for me i might change my opinion but as it is being an auld stoner i am not impressed .
There's no shortage of other sites out there for my entertainment tho and i'm thinking other members might be of the same opinion . Been told this allready ..
And wher's my medal ROFPML , i was heading for 500 thank you's .

samhain
03-03-10, 02:56 PM
Same old cant edit after eight , i never liked that anyways , it leads to to much clutter , hence i could have edited my last post , After finding quite a few glitches . i'm for coming clean and admitting i'm only 14 can i gat banned please .

Tay
03-03-10, 03:16 PM
oh well... guess there's nothing i can say to turn this stubborn auld stoner around? give it a week and see how it settles man> no point in bolting before you even get used to the new way. it's still the adjustment period for everybody remember.

Ragman
03-03-10, 04:33 PM
Same old cant edit after eight , i never liked that anyways , it leads to to much clutter , hence i could have edited my last post , After finding quite a few glitches . i'm for coming clean and admitting i'm only 14 can i gat banned please .

sorry you dont link the upgrade but it was something that had to be done or we risked getting the forum hacked all the time, there were clearly vulnerabilities in the old version and if i left it as it was i risked having the whole forum ruined, yes there are a few glitches but they can be corrected and they will be.

the 8 minute edit is there for a good reason so people cannot go back and change there posts willey nilley which can lead to many more problems, why do you need to go back after 8 minutes to edit a post anyway?? if you need something changed after this time either ask me or a mod to do it for you.

If you are really not happy then let me know and I will delete your account for you

samhain
03-03-10, 05:08 PM
Fair enough lads security is paramount i agree , Thank's to you both i'll try figure it , but this is the reason i don't visit some sites . Some folk's dont like change .
Ragman can/could/ would it be possible to get SSL , i'd feel extra safe with a s after the http ?
You've obviously figured out i'm about 3x14 yo .
As for edit i use this feature in grow diarys " i'm dyslexic and sometimes cant spot my mistakes at first glance "or passing on info , where as my saefty first and fire sticky could be a lot more informitive in the first post instead of having to add a new post everytime there's new info , but do understand some would back peddle But a quote sorts that out , Ken !
Theres no preview post or am i missing something .
Anyway's best of as always , and hope it all work's .
Oh and the meddle , that's not the reason i'm here i'm not on an ego trip . i just like helping , as i was helped when i first started . And helping educates me also .
Thank's samhain

Tay
03-03-10, 06:34 PM
to preview a post just click 'go advanced'. i find myself doing multiple post edits, 8 mins seems enough after a quick proof read i think. hope you stick about mate, imo a few wee quirks that you'll no doubt get used to in a few sessions isn't worth loosing touch with this unique community. i've been a member of a good few weed forums in the past few years and what keeps me here is the 'go out of your the way' helpfullness and closeness of the members. the moderation here is unmatched and nowhere else feels the same.

Wrams
03-03-10, 11:09 PM
I can get cheap SSL certificates as I own my own hosting company in the UK :D If Ragman does want one then I can get it cheaper than anyone else. ;) Also https should be on his online shop anyway to prevent hackers gaining access to credit card details. :(

samhain
04-03-10, 08:22 PM
I can get cheap SSL certificates as I own my own hosting company in the UK :D If Ragman does want one then I can get it cheaper than anyone else. ;) Also https should be on his online shop anyway to prevent hackers gaining access to credit card details. :(

https://www.thctalk.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=540f1fb52daac58d4602c1c01f9cee36
bump

allmix
04-03-10, 08:25 PM
prefer the old gallery,but apart from that its sweet.

Wrams
05-03-10, 01:10 AM
https://www.thctalk.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=540f1fb52daac58d4602c1c01f9cee36
bump

Why you bumping..? Theres no https on the forums online shop. It would have a blue bar otherwise ;)

yoko2009
05-03-10, 01:11 AM
im starting to like the new forum, still finding my way round but it has more features