PDA

View Full Version : Grafting and other techniques.

jesuswearsflares
23-03-10, 05:38 PM
Ill put this post up here. Some of you may recognise it from another forum but I can assure you I am the original author and it was originally published under jesuswearsflares. Its now been taken down from the other forum by me but thought as Monty Bong is trying it with the black rose rootstock and Skunk 44 as a scion it might answer some of your questions. Sorry if it doesnt flow properly but other members comments were removed. Hope you enjoy. JWF

"After a bit of reading about grafting cannabis it seems most people are fixated by grafting it onto a hop (pure mental if you ask me). Most gardeners graft in order to utilise a reliable rootstock and thereby increase production in the scion (the top graft). I thought about this and theres no botanical reason cannabis cant be grafted onto cannabis. However looking at it a bit more it may have major benefits to those wishing to grow small numbers of plants (ie just 1 mother) whilst retaining as many different strains as possible. Midnight Gardener has summed it up in his you tube video of his grow and mother. He simply takes cuts off all the strains he wishes to keep and simply grafts them onto a single mother plant. It is so simple and easy its pure genius. No doubt there will be some doubting Thomases but to them Id say either try it or read an introductory botany book in order to see why it works. Personally I dont have the time at the moment to do a grow journal detailing this but when I return from far away I shall definately be using this method. All comments welcome, even from Thomas.

YouTube - Grafting Cannabis Plants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGhWLaTopL4)

Have to agree MD, it looks like he uses a V into V graft which maximizes its potential for taking. As long as both cut surfaces are butted together and wrapped with appropriate tape, bagged theyll take no problems. As Im sure all our orchard gardeners will agree.
Think the important thing with this technique is to select a good rootstock plant (ideally and Indica so it stays productive whilst still staying small) then I cant see any reason why you couldnt graft other indicas, sativas or even ruderalis. These will all be cross genus grafts but the molecular structure of cannabis doesn`t vary between the genus.
As for castles in Transylvania your not too far off Huffy. Mine just happens to be up a 4000ft hill in Nepal and its solar powered, Live, Live haha.

What Id really like to see is an autoflowerer grafted onto a regular mother plant so you can produce bud whilst producing clones. Only problem here would be differing nutrient needs of a flowering and non flowering plant.
Another one Id like to see is a male grafted to a female in order to make a nice compact seed breeding project.

Hers a guide how its done on tomatoes. Ideally a cleft graft but same procedure for weed.

One of the most exciting things you can do with a plant i reckon, almost better than breeding. Never tried it and not likely to unfortuantely.

I wonder if the strains die out over time, ie they get overtaken by the characteristics of the base plant. Seemingly not.

;)

The scion will always retain its own genetics. It will never take any from the rootstock.

This is what midnight gardener says about his technique on another forum;

Q 'Hey mg have you or any others tried this on a plant that trys to auto-flower like the sweet pink grapefruit??
Grafting a cut of the spg onto a non auto-flowering strain could stop the spg from auto-flowering, no??'

A 'it does not influence the genetics grafted on to it, but if you grafted a auto onto a normal plant then it would work i suppose..'

Q 'any info about using a indica base and crafting the sativa's on it (nice thick trunk and good roots.) '

A 'better to use a sativa base as it has a better root system and has more tolerance than indica.. look for a 'base' that displays vigor and resistance to mold etc'

Here's another technique some of you may be interested in its similar in concept to asexual propogation using a layering technique. Layering basically involves making a small cut in, usually a lower branch, then bending so it touches the soil (which has been treated with rooting powder hormone). Usually it is the pegged into the soil and allowed to develop roots. A bit like strawberry runners. When its rooted its then cut from the main plant and your left with your clone. It seems like these crazy Spanish have taken the technique on step further and adapted it so they can grow in hydro. Hope you enjoy.

YouTube - Curioso sistema para crear esquejes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkNN6Ar5pYo)

Heres what Ed says about it;

'Most of the time the method used to make clones is to cut a branch tip and then root it. Another vegetative method is called air layering. The advantage to air layering is that the clone grows roots while it is still on the plant, so it doesn't undergo as much trauma as an unrooted cutting.

During the chaos of the cut, unrooted cuttings occasionally produce a mutation. An air layered clone is more likely to stay true to the mother. However, the overwhelming majority of clones from unrooted cuttings also stay true'.

An air-rooted clone is only removed from the plant after it has grown roots, so it adjusts more easily and experiences less stress when planted on its own.

To make an air-root cutting, a branch is chosen for cloning. While the branch is still on the plant, select an inch-wide space where roots will grow. It should contain a node. Paint it with a rooting gel then cover it with a quarter-inch layer of moistened sphagnum moss. Seal the sphagnum moss using plastic wrap and close the ends using tape so the area stays moist. Roots should appear in 10 to 20 days. Then clip the rooted cutting from the plant and pot it.'

I dont completely agree with Ed though. As you can see in the video the Spanish folk take off the leaves and scrape the outer skin of the stem. This is far more effective and will cut his estimate of 10-20 days down; given a choice between Ed Rosential or some crazy Spaniards and the RHS I know who Id trust.

Theres a few more advanced techniques Im currently researching but its seems theres a void of literature on the subject. One is cloning from a single root (called root cloning) and the other is cloning from a single leaf (blade cloning and may even work on plants that have flowered and been chopped). Botanically both of these are possible and practised heavily in certain areas of horticulture. Ill explain the procedures a little more when Ive finished reading and searching. Theres one really mental technique being practised by the folk in white coats in order to propogate very rare species. They can grow plants from the minutest piece of a leaf but I may keep this one secret or Ill have no experiments to conduct in my castle.

Someone else is thinking along the same lines as me. This was posted today with a link on another forum.

Mega Propagation from Micro Plants

With tissue culture you can grow your favorite plants in small glass and plastic containers in very small areas, saving space and light. Imagine cutting parts from your favorite plants and seeing them generate fresh shoots and roots before your eyes. A piece of Begonia leaf begins to grow new plants all over it soon after being placed in the growing media. The new plants explode with bushy growth energized by the sugar and hormones. In commercial applications, roses are flowered in tissue culture and orchid growers use tissue culture to speed up new growth of their valuable new breeds. Now you can employ these same techniques at home. Universities and research companies maintain expensive laboratories for multiplying their valuable plants and exposing their hidden genetics.

http://www.planttc.com/

YouTube - Nourse Farms 2 Tissue Culture Propagation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lmBDP5TSG4)

Just saw this on another forum and it shows how easy it is to graft. All credit to FoolOnTheHill.

"After some brainstorming and failed experiments,
I succesfully grafted a branch of a cannabis plant on top of another one.
Using the " handshake" method."

"I cut away a some of the stem, untill about halfway, of both host and guest plant,
and pressed the wounds together.
I used some tape and a clip to keep them in joined."

"After eight days I removed the clip and tape, and saw that the branches had joined.
So I cut loose the lower stem of the guest and took off the top of the host branch."

"Leafs started to hang shortly after this, so I covered the guest part with a plastic bag to stop evaporation,
and gave the plant a lot of water.

• Yes theres a vid on tissue culture on this thread. You can buy home tissue culture kits for about £200 but it takes nearly a year to achieve results. Its having a major impact in East Africa with those that can afford tissue culture bred banana plants.
Yes that would work Harrods, its largely why people graft so they can utilise good root stock.

dekay
25-03-10, 04:53 PM
Nice post JWF.;)

BudMan
08-04-10, 12:17 PM
Interesting thankyou :)

GFORCE
19-06-10, 10:02 AM
very interesting post , something to think about when i get confident with the rest of my techniques