PDA

View Full Version : When should I transplant these?

JLogan
09-02-08, 12:30 AM
Hi everyone,

When should I transplant these? I'll be putting them straight into their permanent 10" pots once I decide to transplant them... just not sure if it's still too early, I dont want to shock them! Even though they are in the bio-degradable pots I still want to take them out of those and just put them straight into the fresh new soil when I go to transplant them. Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/563/medium/seedlings.jpg

Here (https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=3739) is the full size picture. Today is the 5th day since they popped through the soil and they are roughly 2cm tall if that at all helps.

yardbird
09-02-08, 12:13 PM
You should wait until the first set of 5 finger leaves are in place and sticking out over the edges of the pots, there's no point doing it before as the roots will not have run out of room until then.

The shade leaves grow in a 1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 9 - 11 - ~ sequence when vegging, with each new set having two more fingers than the previous set, BTW.

JLogan
09-02-08, 08:30 PM
yardbird, thanks for the advice.

I was just checking in on my babies and luckily I happened to take look at the bottoms of the bio-degradable pots and it’s a good thing I looked... The roots are just beginning to grow through the bottoms of the pots! On one of them there is about three separate roots coming through the bottom. I'm going to transplant them tomorrow (or today if I have time)!

Growz
09-02-08, 08:51 PM
Hi J

i would go with yard's advice and wait a week or so to let the root system get bigger

I made this mistake and ended up with a pot that only had roughly 3 quarts root mass so a quart of wasted soil just let the roots fill out the bottom and even out the sides if they do that then defo pot up

you might think thats nothing but every little helps to keep costs at a minimum

just my 2p worth buddy ;)

JLogan
09-02-08, 10:30 PM
Hi J

i would go with yard's advice and wait a week or so to let the root system get bigger

I made this mistake and ended up with a pot that only had roughly 3 quarts root mass so a quart of wasted soil just let the roots fill out the bottom and even out the sides if they do that then defo pot up

you might think thats nothing but every little helps to keep costs at a minimum

just my 2p worth buddy ;)

Hi Lewy... wish I read your post before I went and transplanted them. Turns out I ran into some extra time I didn’t think I was going to have so I went ahead and put them in the 10" pots right after my last post.

The good news is: My guess is it probably only would have been another day or two before even more roots started showing through the bottom and until they started growing out of the sides. When I took them out of the bio-degradable pots the root mass was enough to hold the soil together, and the soil wasn’t dry either... they had just been thoroughly watered about 6 hours earlier so the soil was very damp, but it still held together :)

The bad news is: I'm using two 84watt CFL's and I have them both under a custom hood I made. The 10" pots are so big that the hood doesn’t cover the entire pots and so the plants are not directly under the bulbs as they were prior to me repotting them. Instead, they plants are at the edges of the hood not getting maximum light. I might go ahead and make two separate hoods (one for each bulb) and set it up that way… I’ll have to check into it tomorrow and see if it’ll fit or not :(

Growz
10-02-08, 01:10 PM
just give them a little longer in veg m8 to root out the new pots and you will be good to go

if you can defo get stronger lighting as it will pay off in the end

when i started i used envriolites cause i thought they would be good because of the low heat but after seeing the results from fine growers on here useing HPS i would never look back the envrio's are just not strong enough for a bumper yield! although they do give you a fair amount of personal but if your after more you will need to go for the HPS

Looking forward to watching yer girlies flurish bro ;)

Happy growing m8

:weed:

JLogan
10-02-08, 05:03 PM
just give them a little longer in veg m8 to root out the new pots and you will be good to go

if you can defo get stronger lighting as it will pay off in the end

when i started i used envriolites cause i thought they would be good because of the low heat but after seeing the results from fine growers on here useing HPS i would never look back the envrio's are just not strong enough for a bumper yield! although they do give you a fair amount of personal but if your after more you will need to go for the HPS

Looking forward to watching yer girlies flurish bro ;)

Happy growing m8

:weed: Thanks m8. About the light... unfortunately I can’t be bothered with HPS as it just uses way too much electricity and I can’t be bothered setting up an exhaust and all that because all the extra noise would be too suspect because of where my grow is setup :( Hopefully I'll be happy enough with the CFL's and maybe I'll be able to consider HPS later on down the road, but not anytime soon.