PDA

View Full Version : Best size pots for Auto

SJD
26-03-10, 11:00 PM
Hi Lads, i was wondering whats the best size pots for auto's as looking at growing a couple of white and red dwarfs and as they dont grow very large do they need 12' pots or will the yeild be just as good in smaller ones like 6' ones?

Or has anyone grown in both sizes and noticed a big difference in yeild etc?

The space i have is quite small so if i can get away with the smaller ones it would help loads.:thcleaf:

Cheers.

SJD
27-03-10, 02:07 PM
Any info welcome!

up2nogood
27-03-10, 02:27 PM
Hi Lads, i was wondering whats the best size pots for auto's as looking at growing a couple of white and red dwarfs and as they dont grow very large do they need 12' pots or will the yeild be just as good in smaller ones like 6' ones?

Or has anyone grown in both sizes and noticed a big difference in yeild etc?

The space i have is quite small so if i can get away with the smaller ones it would help loads.:thcleaf:

Cheers.

I use bigger pots than necessary on everything I grow, especially autos. Autoflowers like pots with lots of depth. The plants show the best quality and health if the roots can extend downward without hitting bottom. They will do this in most pots and it will cramp their growth.if you can try and get deep pots,maybe tall square ones

DoobyDuck
27-03-10, 02:29 PM
Yes pot size is a factor in plant size and yield, How big is your grow space? I grow them in 5 lt pots and get plants ranging from 1 1/2 foot to over 2 foot. Think I've got pics of ryders in different pots which might help you, hang on.

up2nogood
27-03-10, 02:31 PM
Any info welcome!

click here (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.realoasis.com/Images/Planters/tall%2520vases.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.realoasis.com/Floral%2520Hire/Plant-Pots-GRP-Planters.htm&usg=__Ph9wIqDMEpIi_sbD5t3CtvM_E9U=&h=400&w=400&sz=22&hl=en&start=4&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=_erSZcpxFlvypM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtall%2Bplant%2Bpots%26um%3D1%26hl%3De n%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26channel%3Ds%26tbs%3Disch:1)
2nd pic down would be ideal

DoobyDuck
27-03-10, 02:40 PM
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10161

OK the tiny one was grown in a cup from the cinema, kinda like a gulp cup, the two at the back were in 5lt round pots and if Iremember right they reached just over 2 feet. Decent yield tho I don't weigh what I grow.

I agree with up2nogood, square pots are better for weed. 5.5lt wilma pots from ebay would do fine too

up2nogood
27-03-10, 02:44 PM
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10161

OK the tiny one was grown in a cup from the cinema, kinda like a gulp cup, the two at the back were in 5lt round pots and if Iremember right they reached just over 2 feet. Decent yield tho I don't weigh what I grow.

I agree with up2nogood, square pots are better for weed. 5.5lt wilma pots from ebay would do fine too

was you trying to put pics on here? nothing showing mate

SJD
27-03-10, 04:21 PM
Ok Lads cheers for the info, my grow space is around 4' long 2' wide and 5' high at the very max but its a triangle shape /\ my first grow was 3 Northenlights and they grew bloody big and i wouldnt of been able to fit anymore in there once they started to flower, they were in 12" pots (opps i put 12' and 6' in my first post pmsl) and it was a pain as the pots took up so much space,but i have 6 X 6" pots and 3 x 12" ones so will maybe use them up and see what results are like using different sizes.

All it comes down to is i want to grow afew more plants than last time but didnt want to use smaller pots if the yield will be alot worst than using the bigger ones as id rather just have less plants and use bigger pots if thats the case..if you see what i mean!!

Anyway got 5 white dwarf beans being germed at the mo just waiting for the reds to come then its all systems go :)

DoobyDuck
27-03-10, 05:28 PM
was you trying to put pics on here? nothing showing mate

Must be me dude, am looking at the pictures right now :confused:. Can't be arsed trying again if you know what I mean :bigjoint:

Ok Lads cheers for the info, my grow space is around 4' long 2' wide and 5' high at the very max but its a triangle shape /\

That space should be ample for auto's. Good luck with your gow dude :D

SJD
27-03-10, 11:41 PM
Cheers Dooby,will post up the results once finished.:0)

mojogreen
29-03-10, 10:18 AM
Hi dude am growing 3 easyryders at the mo have a diary up,am useing 11lt pots in a small tent and was advivised bigger pots the better,there 4 weeks in and all 3 are looking good was told on here that autos love the bigger pots and saves on repooting and so forth,good luck with ya grow man!!!!

starchild
29-03-10, 11:30 AM
To be fair i have never used a pot bigger than 7.5ltr for autos, anything more and its a bit of a waste, they just dont produce the rootball to fill it.

No need to pot up either, as soon as they're germ'd, wack em straight in their final pots, turn on the light and you're away....

SJD
29-03-10, 08:20 PM
To be fair i have never used a pot bigger than 7.5ltr for autos, anything more and its a bit of a waste, they just dont produce the rootball to fill it.

No need to pot up either, as soon as they're germ'd, wack em straight in their final pots, turn on the light and you're away....

I did wonder if such small growing plants would need big pots,and what you have said is music to my ears haha i'm still gonna grow 3 in the 12" ones and the rest in 6" ones as they are the pots i already have but im glad you find the smaller ones ample for Auto's.

What sort of yield did you get from the ones you have grown starchild?

starchild
29-03-10, 11:19 PM
I did wonder if such small growing plants would need big pots,and what you have said is music to my ears haha i'm still gonna grow 3 in the 12" ones and the rest in 6" ones as they are the pots i already have but im glad you find the smaller ones ample for Auto's.

What sort of yield did you get from the ones you have grown starchild?

I have been involved with, and grown autos 3 times, the best yield we've had was either 19 or 21 gms dry. cant remember to be exact, mostly if you harvest a half per plant dry, you've done pretty, in fact, very well.

To be honest if space isn't an issue, theres not a benefit to autos, IMHO, i can switch a light off and on myself, and quick flowering regular strains can be finished quicker then autos, depending on how you grow them with much larger yoelds, better tastes and smells, not to mention more vaiety, and also the fact you can clone a reg for free crops, with an auto you can't.

One piece of advice...easy on the nutes mate, in my experience they are, or can be quite sensitive, so unless they ask for food, don't feed 'em....

BudMan
30-03-10, 03:21 PM
Good advice there starchild, i was going to mention that 11l pots are a bit big for an auto... Waste of soil imo, roots wont fill the pot at all....

I get same results when i flower my clones in a 6.5l pot, compared to sticking them straight into a 11l pot... Just uses less space and saves nearly half the dirt usage, not to mention less dreaded adventures to shops for soil....

Big pots are good for long veg's, and big spaces..... But i dont veg over 2 weeks, and my grow space is lacking in height....

6.5l square pots would be perfect for autos, especially in a small space :)

SJD
30-03-10, 05:56 PM
Quite small yields from them then! was hoping for around 1 oz dry per plant as they will be under a 400w hps, the reason i went for autos was the space i have, as i said in above post i grew 3 NL and the grow room was full so by using Auto i can get a few more in there but if the yields are small its not really worth doing them if you can get more from fewer plants!! anyhow they are germed now so will see what happens :)

I'm not a fan of using loads of nutes so that suits me fine as i only used them for the last week or so in my last grow before flushing.

Cheers for the info starchild.

mxc
30-03-10, 08:27 PM
If you check out my last easyryder grow in stealth section, I got 42g of dry bud and it is an awesome smoke. Was done in a 10l pot under 2x200w red CFL on 20/4 and the roots filled up the pot!

starchild
30-03-10, 10:29 PM
Quite small yields from them then! was hoping for around 1 oz dry per plant as they will be under a 400w hps, the reason i went for autos was the space i have, as i said in above post i grew 3 NL and the grow room was full so by using Auto i can get a few more in there but if the yields are small its not really worth doing them if you can get more from fewer plants!! anyhow they are germed now so will see what happens :)

I'm not a fan of using loads of nutes so that suits me fine as i only used them for the last week or so in my last grow before flushing.

Cheers for the info starchild.

No probs mate. The thing with autos is you are reliant of the genes only for yield, pretty much anyway (surer your light makes a relative difference), but Without a veg cycle so to speak of, you miss the bulking up stage of the plant to get the yield up. You could root a cut in a week, veg it for 2-3 weeks and switch it, and have more bud than an auto, and if you grow a cut, and wack that straight under a mini scrog screen you can keep it real low as well...now theres a thought.....LOL.

I have seen mini-scrogs under 16" high, including 7L pot that yield 3oz dry (250w HPS)...do the math.... I have to say that thats a real advanced technique, you have to root trim before you flower to keep it in a small pot, and feed very differently to make up for what you have cut away, however its doable, which was my point....sorry to ramble...

To be fair, 1 northern light grown properly will yield potentially more than 4 autos....i can fit 6 plants under my light, i do 4, that way i get much more yield cause of the light to the plants gets there properly, anyway i hope i have given you a couple of things to ponder, and think about :D

peace...

skotty
30-03-10, 11:57 PM
i got 25g dry off my mi5 in 8 weeks quality smoke as well i was happy with that but my onyx is gonna top that

the plus side with autos is you can veg and flower at the same time so if you germinate a seed every week you will get to the stage where you get fresh weed every week

also thinking about it 8 plants in 8 weeks would equal 8oz or more what other plants can do this from seed to harvest in a short period of time

starchild
31-03-10, 12:34 AM
i got 25g dry off my mi5 in 8 weeks quality smoke as well i was happy with that but my onyx is gonna top that

the plus side with autos is you can veg and flower at the same time so if you germinate a seed every week you will get to the stage where you get fresh weed every week

also thinking about it 8 plants in 8 weeks would equal 8oz or more what other plants can do this from seed to harvest in a short period of time

25g in total from 5 plants? 5gms a plant? What light are you growing under mate?...I don't mean to be challenging, but i have never seen an auto finish in 56 days, ever ever ever....maybe thats why you only got avg 5gms per plant. When i grew auto ak47 it took nigh on 13 weeks to go 50/50 cloudy from seed. 97 days, at the time i was using a 250w hps...

I know a chap who can produce an oz dry per plant from lowriders, he uses 1000w mh followed by 1000w SonT, dwc....he averages an oz a plant.....

Would you do a pictoril diary skotty mate, i would love to see it in action, a true 56 day wonder...:)

I have grown and harvested a cut (Icecream) in 77 days, 50/50 on the trichs, thats my fastest ever plant, including 3 goes at autos, and one grow was under a 400w dual spec....

Lets see the fibre of your fabric mate :)

SJD
01-04-10, 07:13 PM
If you check out my last easyryder grow in stealth section, I got 42g of dry bud and it is an awesome smoke. Was done in a 10l pot under 2x200w red CFL on 20/4 and the roots filled up the pot!

Did have a read of your grow,nice results i'll be happy with that yield :)

SJD
01-04-10, 07:23 PM
No probs mate. The thing with autos is you are reliant of the genes only for yield, pretty much anyway (surer your light makes a relative difference), but Without a veg cycle so to speak of, you miss the bulking up stage of the plant to get the yield up. You could root a cut in a week, veg it for 2-3 weeks and switch it, and have more bud than an auto, and if you grow a cut, and wack that straight under a mini scrog screen you can keep it real low as well...now theres a thought.....LOL.

I have seen mini-scrogs under 16" high, including 7L pot that yield 3oz dry (250w HPS)...do the math.... I have to say that thats a real advanced technique, you have to root trim before you flower to keep it in a small pot, and feed very differently to make up for what you have cut away, however its doable, which was my point....sorry to ramble...

To be fair, 1 northern light grown properly will yield potentially more than 4 autos....i can fit 6 plants under my light, i do 4, that way i get much more yield cause of the light to the plants gets there properly, anyway i hope i have given you a couple of things to ponder, and think about :D

peace...

Your getting quite deep now starchild haha im only a novice, but will maybe get into other growing techs..one day!!

Think maybe next time if the autos dont yield well like i have the feeling they wont from your experience, i'll just stick with less plants and not use autos, anyhow 2 have shown there mullets today so im on my way... yipee :-)

I almost feel like im kind of wasting my time though!!,but i suppose at least i can say i've tryed them and aslong as the smokes good shit i'll be happy.

mxc
01-04-10, 08:55 PM
As with all strains some will perform well and others not.

I've had a couple of below average results mainly due to inexperience and a crap seed bank, but my most recent grows have all been very good and I now know what is needed to achieve consistent yields and results. Dont be put off autos if yours dont do well as there are plenty out there which do give good yields and a quality smoke with minimal effort.

There is no science or skill required to grow these, they are easy! Just make sure your water is properly Ph'd and its in the largest pots possible and you will be fine

Good luck and may all your seeds turn in to beautiful smoke

c ganjafarmer
08-04-10, 01:08 AM
Must be me dude, am looking at the pictures right now :confused:. Can't be arsed trying again if you know what I mean :bigjoint:

That space should be ample for auto's. Good luck with your gow dude :D

it is you m8 cus there aINT NO PICS , what u smokin must be good

skotty
08-04-10, 09:09 AM
startchild wrote

25g in total from 5 plants? 5gms a plant? What light are you growing under mate?...I don't mean to be challenging, but i have never seen an auto finish in 56 days, ever ever ever....maybe thats why you only got avg 5gms per plant. When i grew auto ak47 it took nigh on 13 weeks to go 50/50 cloudy from seed. 97 days, at the time i was using a 250w hps...

I know a chap who can produce an oz dry per plant from lowriders, he uses 1000w mh followed by 1000w SonT, dwc....he averages an oz a plant.....

Would you do a pictoril diary skotty mate, i would love to see it in action, a true 56 day wonder...

I have grown and harvested a cut (Icecream) in 77 days, 50/50 on the trichs, thats my fastest ever plant, including 3 goes at autos, and one grow was under a 400w dual spec....

Lets see the fibre of your fabric mate

mate what are you chatting i got 25g dry weight off shorstuff mi5 in 8 weeks and if you check my diary its already been done using 1 x 25o watt cfl hope this helps

peace