PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you ever had problems with ...

GrowRebel
15-03-08, 07:04 PM
... store bought potting soil? I'm in the US ... I went to Lowes and bought 4 2cu bags of Sta-Green Flower and Vegetables mix ... the first bag I used did fine ... the next bag caused problems ... and the next ... and the next ... my plants ... clones and seedling did very poorly ... like some kind of nute lockout ... even when I tried feeding them I didn't get a good response ... I tried flushing them and then feed them a few days later ... nothing ... my finest girl (I can only get clones ... no seeds ... plus the pheno type for her are different ... one has rich grapefruit favor and excellent buzz while the other will not ... ) was very sick ... all the clones were sick .... I had five of them ... if I didn't act fast she would become extinct ... and she is my absolute favorite of anything I have ever grown ... :Nice:

... a friend of mind gave me some pro-mix potting soil thanks to it 3 of the five clones are recovering ... one is in excellent condition ...I will be able to get more clones from her in a couple of weeks ... :barmy:

Have any of you every had this problem ... and what did you do to solve it ...
... when I can afford it ... should I mix the bad potting mix in some manure or something so I can use it?

... any why stay away from Sta-Green potting soil ... it will pretty much kill your plants ... :pee::banghead:

sweetsinner
17-03-08, 09:01 PM
I've had problems with Westlands in the UK, they basically killed my plants slowly :( but can't be of help with your problem..
I know that from time to time the companys change their ingredients, and you may have got an old bag when you first purchased it and a new bag the 2nd..
Either way changing the soil is a good idea! :D

yavana
18-03-08, 09:19 AM
The description on the manufacturer's website is pretty small, but it sounds like it's for planting in gardens and flowerbeds with, not pots. It's probably blended strong with the idea that most people are going to be mixing it into their ground if they've got bad soil and are too lazy to compost.

lkdj2003
25-03-08, 04:20 PM
I know a chap who is using this compost (http://www.gardendirect.co.uk/chempak-multipurpose-compost-with-added-john-innes-60-litres-p-461) from those people and he is getting fantastic results with it. They also deliver to your door. :toke:

If you do go for that compost then you will have to remember that because it has added john innes you won't need to feed it so soon.