PDA

View Full Version : Digital ph testers ?

mr internode
14-07-10, 08:52 PM
Hi folks,i am looking to buy my first ph tester pen,theres a bewildering choice out there.looking to spend £30 ish.have heard they dont have a great lifespan ,would appreciate any advice from u guys .thanks very much in advance.

Mr ukthc
15-07-10, 06:30 AM
Yea I too wonder about this!

big syko 75
15-07-10, 09:10 AM
Hi mate i use one of these http://www.ph-meter.co.uk/?gclid=CMb2mJeK7aICFQIB4wodJn28dA and they are very reliable n worth every penny.

Taff
31-07-10, 11:37 AM
I've seen that one in a lot of online stores too, must be alright. I am considering it myself.

Mine is a HM meter http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/ph200.html
It worked for a month or so and now it just won't calibrate. The auto calibration seemed great until it screwed up. You dip it into pH 4 buffer and it reads 6.2 or something so when you try and 'auto calibrate' it takes it to the nearest one (either 4, 7, or 10). This means it thinks pH 4 is pH7. Utter bollocks. I bought a replacement probe and the same thing happened. So please think of this when you considering buying a pH meter with an auto calibration feature.

Therefore I'm looking for a new pH probe/pen. My budget is up to £100, ideally with a year warranty and an option to buy a replacement head. If you think its not worth spending that much then let me know. Any recommendations would be great.

The meter I'm considering at the moment is the bluelab pH meter as I get on well with my Bluelab EC meter.

mellowed
31-07-10, 11:57 AM
I bought a device from b&q which has ph an tells you how wet the soil is for 3quid. Has a dial with the numbers on an 2 long metal probes you stick in the soil. Have used it everyday an it works well. Don't see the point on spending all that cash on a device unless you are growing loadz of different stuff. But then I am tight as a ducks ass an hate spending money.

The Lost Soul
31-07-10, 01:38 PM
Look at bluelab ph & ec truncheons, they're the best.

Taff
31-07-10, 06:03 PM
So have you actually got the bluelab pH meter?

Taff
01-08-10, 12:53 PM
Ok, I'm now thinking screw the bluelab meter! £100 for the pH meter itself isn't too bad but the fact its £50 for the replacement probe seems a bit steep! Think I'll just get that cheaper one you guys mentioned! At least it only cost £25 to replace.
What sort of lifetime have people been getting out of there well maintained pH probes?

spartan
14-08-10, 10:06 PM
Ok, I'm now thinking screw the bluelab meter! £100 for the pH meter itself isn't too bad but the fact its £50 for the replacement probe seems a bit steep! Think I'll just get that cheaper one you guys mentioned! At least it only cost £25 to replace.
What sort of lifetime have people been getting out of there well maintained pH probes?

You get what you pay for, if your gonna grow for a few years then invest in a blue lab they are the industry standard and used everywhere. Excellent bits of kit and very accurate unlike cheaper meters. Im on my second probe as i droped the bastard and bust it. The combo meter is very good although i find it comes with too much cable which gets in the way.

rj4267
17-08-10, 02:29 AM
I have one of the cheaper Hanna models and am not impressed. I'll have to check out some of those others mentioned here. The one I have I'm told is right on. I actually had them check it out at the hydro shop to be re-calibrated today in case I did something wrong. I was told it was accurate. However, I have litmus strips and the drops that show it being off by 2 points. The paper and drops were consistent.
I think I'll stick with the drops until I can afford something much better.