PDA

View Full Version : Lowryder seedlings...

Koconut
16-07-10, 08:24 PM
Just potted yesterday my first Lowryder 2 autos... 3 plants with 9" diameter pots

I germed using paper towel method but the roots grew to about an inch before i potted, this shouldn't be a problem should it? I used tweasers and dropped in carefully, not sure how tight the soil is around them tho :/

Got a 250w red cfl about a foot over them 24/0 so far. This an ok distance for the mo? How long should it be before they break through the soil?

Also should I water/spray the soil? I haven't watered (John Innes no.2) at all yet and it's looking pretty dry to be fair...

cheers!

mrtank
17-07-10, 10:39 AM
Just potted yesterday my first Lowryder 2 autos... 3 plants with 9" diameter pots

I germed using paper towel method but the roots grew to about an inch before i potted, this shouldn't be a problem should it? I used tweasers and dropped in carefully, not sure how tight the soil is around them tho :/

Got a 250w red cfl about a foot over them 24/0 so far. This an ok distance for the mo? How long should it be before they break through the soil?

Also should I water/spray the soil? I haven't watered (John Innes no.2) at all yet and it's looking pretty dry to be fair...

cheers!

WATER THEM NOW!

inch long taproots won't be a problem if you placed them in gently and didn't damage them, but you should most certainly water the soil! The soil should be kept moist at all times for freshly germed seeds & seedlings, if you have a spray that's the best thing to do it gently. Just keep it moist not drenched. You really should have moistened the soil straight after putting the seeds in. That's why people use propagators or place bottles cut in half over their newly planted seeds to keep the humidity high. I would moisten that soil a.s.a.p the seeds will quickly die in dry soil at this stage.

They should roughly break the soil 24-48hrs after planting them, if they are germed already. Obviously the deeper you planted them the longer they will take. I think about 1cm under the soil is the ideal depth

Koconut
17-07-10, 04:41 PM
WATER THEM NOW!

inch long taproots won't be a problem if you placed them in gently and didn't damage them, but you should most certainly water the soil! The soil should be kept moist at all times for freshly germed seeds & seedlings, if you have a spray that's the best thing to do it gently. Just keep it moist not drenched. You really should have moistened the soil straight after putting the seeds in. That's why people use propagators or place bottles cut in half over their newly planted seeds to keep the humidity high. I would moisten that soil a.s.a.p the seeds will quickly die in dry soil at this stage.

They should roughly break the soil 24-48hrs after planting them, if they are germed already. Obviously the deeper you planted them the longer they will take. I think about 1cm under the soil is the ideal depth

Haha, advice heeded cheers mate. Well when I woke up this morn two of them have sprouted, they're half an inch (bless'em :smokie: ). Took aboot 36 hrs. One still has its shell from the seed and the other two show no sign of anything, but I shouldn't be too worried yet?!

When should I think about lowering the light to 2-3" then?
Would watering only when the soil looks dry, with regular misting in between be ideal?

mrtank
18-07-10, 02:06 PM
ahh good stuff :) I was worried for you as I thought you just put em into bone dry soil. No I wouldn't be too anxious if the others haven't popped the soil yet. With seedlings I would say keep the soil moist (but not soaking) for the first week or so rather than letting it dry out, then watering. I would have thought just misting the soil with your spray a few times a day will do the trick. When they are older and have a bigger root system I think its best to let the soil dry out (top couple of inches anyway) and then water.

Not exactly sure about when is best to lower your light but if its a cool enough cfl I would guess after they are maybe 3-4days old (after popping soil).

Koconut
18-07-10, 09:13 PM
ahh good stuff :) I was worried for you as I thought you just put em into bone dry soil. No I wouldn't be too anxious if the others haven't popped the soil yet. With seedlings I would say keep the soil moist (but not soaking) for the first week or so rather than letting it dry out, then watering. I would have thought just misting the soil with your spray a few times a day will do the trick. When they are older and have a bigger root system I think its best to let the soil dry out (top couple of inches anyway) and then water.

Not exactly sure about when is best to lower your light but if its a cool enough cfl I would guess after they are maybe 3-4days old (after popping soil).

- All 4 have no sprouted and are on their way up, moved the light down too but cause they are in big pots they are growing to the light i.e. not straight. Should i turn them around or just allow?

- WHERE do i put the thermometer?! got two in there at the moment... one on the floor in the shade reads ~24C, the one on the wall in light at plant level reads ~28C...... which do I go by because 28 is a little too hot I do believe, especially as they are delicate younglings :p

- Should i be concerned about purple stems? All seem to be purpley with leaves that look a little dry - underwatering maybe? I keep wanting to water but I am scared to drown them they are only little :D

Pics up later :bong:

mrtank
19-07-10, 10:47 AM
glad to hear they've all sprouted for you mate :D Yeah I'd probably turn the pots to try and keep the growth relatively straight.

Plant height seems like the most logical place to me to put you thermometer, 28 degrees C doesn't sound too bad I'd imagine it was at the high end of the ideal temp range during lights on but I don't think its too hot them.

Purple stems are fine, and you shouldn't really be able to drown them if the soil drains well enough.

Best of luck with the rest of the grow! hopefully a more experienced grower will come along to guide you in the rest of this thread as I have very little knowledge to help you further mate, sounds like you've got it under control anyway :D

mojogreen
19-07-10, 01:40 PM
Hi fellow grower hope all goes well with ya grow,i did 3 lowryders recentley there is a diary in the diary section if u wanna have a look,same sort of set up as ya self,soil 250 watt cfl in a dr60 tent and they turned out great if i dont say so me self for a first grow lol,need any help or assistance giss a shout,have me second grow on the go at mo mine r 8 days old now and growing well there lowryders as well

Koconut
19-07-10, 04:24 PM
Hi fellow grower hope all goes well with ya grow,i did 3 lowryders recentley there is a diary in the diary section if u wanna have a look,same sort of set up as ya self,soil 250 watt cfl in a dr60 tent and they turned out great if i dont say so me self for a first grow lol,need any help or assistance giss a shout,have me second grow on the go at mo mine r 8 days old now and growing well there lowryders as well

noice one! By 8 days do you mean since they broke soil? I'm on day 3 since they sprouted, started germing a week ago. So far I can just make out a second set of leaves appearing on 'em and just over an inch tall. Got a loner white diesel growing alongside too which is actually bigger at the moment but we'll see how that goes with a red CFL and 20/4 lol...

Will take a look at your diary mate for sure. Any tips you can give me from your experience of LR seedlings? You on 18/6 or 20/4?

mojogreen
26-07-10, 02:52 PM
Cheers bro yes am 20/4 under blue 250 cfl for first 4 weeks then on too same red for rest of grow,me last 3 i did in me diary went till bout 9 and half weeks and was the best smoke i have since the early 90s in the dam,i used a mild nute solution it was bio-bizz bloom from bout 4/5 weeks in and flushed last week with just plain water,anything thing else ya wanna know just holla bro!!

Koconut
30-07-10, 11:50 PM
Cheers bro yes am 20/4 under blue 250 cfl for first 4 weeks then on too same red for rest of grow,me last 3 i did in me diary went till bout 9 and half weeks and was the best smoke i have since the early 90s in the dam,i used a mild nute solution it was bio-bizz bloom from bout 4/5 weeks in and flushed last week with just plain water,anything thing else ya wanna know just holla bro!!

Got some pics here of them at day 13 if u scroll down to the end: http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?27043-Purrlite
How do they compare to how yours were? :D

I need to get them abit taller and closer to the tops of the pots I think, what you think I should do?

mojogreen
01-08-10, 09:14 PM
Koconut there looking fine mate size is ok,these things look small then u check a few days later and they have shot up,mine r now 21 days with 5 or 6 sets of leaves and both showing there female bits which is great lol,the 2 plants i am doing are totally different ones short stumpy and the others tall and stringy but thats just the diff strains in the mix,but will keep checking and will stick a couple of pics of mine up here for ya to compare too when i get a chance,they look fine just keep eye on em and they will do well for ya little water as possible with stressing them and they will b fine !! Peace