PDA

View Full Version : Major Problem

weed heed
28-03-08, 03:39 PM
Just been up to check the grow room,my lights not working i think its the ballast only a few weeks old to,not fuses though have checked them,can any one help ive no spare anything am going to get on to the supplier but what can i do now.weed heed

xanadu
28-03-08, 03:43 PM
Stick any old light in there for now - on the normal cycle so you don't stress them too much.

Kaya
28-03-08, 03:52 PM
I had this happen to me mate, twice!. Where did yo get it from? Becuase the first time it happened to me it was from Ebay so there wasnt anything i could do :(

But the second one I got from Growell and they replaced it straight away.

I just used one of those engery saving bulbs for normal lights i think it was 25W or something, my plants stretched a bit but were fine. Had to leave them like that over a weekend too and they were fine.

sxyross2005
28-03-08, 03:57 PM
does this happen to alot of ppl ......? if so would u say it would be helpfull to keep a cheap cfl or something about just incase

THC Shark
28-03-08, 04:01 PM
I got my ballasts from Greenshorticulture.co.uk

I also had a ballast problem with one of them (two weeks old) but you phone up, and they'll arange a courier to come pic it up and drop off a new one.

Now thats good service...

sxyross2005
28-03-08, 04:04 PM
ur rite it is but the money u spend on them u expect more than 2 weeks

THC Shark
28-03-08, 04:09 PM
Well...they might replace from a further date. I don't know, that was just my own situation when the problem happened.

Kaya
28-03-08, 04:13 PM
Yeah your right for £50 it wants to work, but TBH its was my fault mine broke lol

I knocked the plug, saw the blue flash and heard a crack and that was it no more ballast.

The one from ebay was 600w for a 400w light and was sooo loud so I put it under the bed and put a doovay (sp?)(bed cover) round it. When I weent back it wasnt working and the doovay had like scorch marks on it where it had got soo hot.

So really both times was my fault :o Still I got it replaced anyway lol

weed heed
28-03-08, 04:14 PM
hi,ive been onto the supplier basement lighting hydroponics its a parlux ballast they are going to phone me back supposedly.i have some energy saving bulbs will try that.am not a happy bunny 12 two week old plants that are going really well thats about my luck

Kaya
28-03-08, 04:23 PM
Hopefully they will replace it if not add them to the grow shop name and shame list :p You might even have one by tomorrow if yer lucky fingers crossed.

I wouldnt worry too much about the plants im sure they will be fine just a wee bit stretched depending on how long there under the energy savers.

sxyross2005
28-03-08, 04:27 PM
kaya u should be able to bump the plug as many times as u want if it conforms to eu standards but ebay has a law of its own i bought my girl a lg veity off it at christmas it didnt work and got kicked off ebay for tryin to get my money back

Kaya
28-03-08, 04:34 PM
kaya u should be able to bump the plug as many times as u want if it conforms to eu standards but ebay has a law of its own i bought my girl a lg veity off it at christmas it didnt work and got kicked off ebay for tryin to get my money back

Ah I see im not up on all this EU regualtion stuff and what not :p

So i guess it wasnt my fault after all then, well the second at least :p

sxyross2005
28-03-08, 04:40 PM
i dont really know much about it ether but when i was at uni wee done wee bits and bobs all depends where it came from mite be from outside the eu but and plug should be able to withstand a sertin amount of force

yeah ur rite about the second one hehehehe thay have air vents on them for a reason lol

Midnight Toker
28-03-08, 04:45 PM
As a rule i would say Dont buy electrical / electronic goods off of ebay.

I once bought a "brand new" JVC camcorder from an ebay shop trader. it worked once when i opened it & tested it, got it out on xmas day in front of all my family & the fooker was naffed !

Complained to the seller who said it still had the full manufacturers warranty so i called JVC who asked for a copy of the proof of purchase which was duly supplied only to be told by JVC that this buyer was the owner of the warranty not me, and that as far as they were concerned he should be sending it back to them even though the part in question had known issues & was the subject of a worldwide product recall.

@ 10 million of these things were replaced & fitted free of charge by JVC but because i'd brought through Ebay the warranty was invalid.

he wasn't interested of course, never got any money back as he just stopped answering me & i was left with a beautiful looking piece of crap that didn't work.

So if you do buy from Ebay be aware that if something goes wrong you're probably on your own ... I never buy anything off there these days too many cowboy traders ....

You wouldn't buy electrical goods at a car boot sale would you ??, it's the same principle ....

Kaya
28-03-08, 04:51 PM
As a rule i would say Dont buy electrical / electronic goods off of ebay.

I once bought a "brand new" JVC camcorder from an ebay shop trader. it worked once when i opened it & tested it, got it out on xmas day in front of all my family & the fooker was naffed !

Complained to the seller who said it still had the full manufacturers warranty so i called JVC who asked for a copy of the proof of purchase which was duly supplied only to be told by JVC that this buyer was the owner of the warranty not me, and that as far as they were concerned he should be sending it back to them even though the part in question had known issues & was the subject of a worldwide product recall.

@ 10 million of these things were replaced & fitted free of charge by JVC but because i'd brought through Ebay the warranty was invalid.

he wasn't interested of course, never got any money back as he just stopped answering me & i was left with a beautiful looking piece of crap that didn't work.

So if you do buy from Ebay be aware that if something goes wrong you're probably on your own ... I never buy anything off there these days too many cowboy traders ....

You wouldn't buy electrical goods at a car boot sale would you ??, it's the same principle ....

Out of interest did you give them good feedback?

This is what happens to me fine when you first get it, so you give them good feedback, then it brakes and theres nothing you can do, but you've still give them good feedback so others will still buy from them. I should of known there was something wrong, just by the way they kept pestering me to give them feedback as soon as i'd got it. Soon as they have the feedback thats it, they dont want to know.

sxyross2005
28-03-08, 04:54 PM
it was a privet seller i got my fone from i opened up a paypay despute and it took them from november till the start of this month to sort it the seller agreed to get it fixed if i payed for the shiping to get it to hir and back to me i told hir it was unresonable to expect me to pay for hir selling falty goods and i got booted off ebay coz paypay thought it was fair for me to pay and cant rejoin ever i need to use my girlfriends now

Midnight Toker
28-03-08, 05:26 PM
Out of interest did you give them good feedback?

As a matter of fact i did ... bitch aint it !!

Kaya
28-03-08, 05:36 PM
It certainly is :D

weed heed
28-03-08, 05:48 PM
arseholes want me to post it back to them they are going to send a courier to pick it up mon/tue so it could be a week.any ideas on keeping the plants growing folks.

Kaya
28-03-08, 05:54 PM
More lights if you can I would say, get all the lamps you have in your house if possible. Maybe 1 light to 3-4 plants depending how many lights you can get. They might stretch but you can repot them and bury a lot of the stem i suppose, thats what I would do anyways.

Midnight Toker
28-03-08, 06:00 PM
just do what you can for now M8 .. you can buy flouro's and fittings in aquatic centres if you wanna spend more money.

good luck dude !

weed heed
28-03-08, 07:02 PM
i might get a tiny little greenhouse from band q and try that ive got a little light in there just now but ive not got much lighting at all to put up there

weed heed
28-03-08, 08:37 PM
hi all,good news a very good friend has a spare set lights and ballast dunno how many watts but hes bringing it over shortly so my grow will continue.A courier is also coming on monday to pick up the ballast and take it away to be sorted the days turned out better than it started,thanks for the help guys.weed heed

weed heed
28-03-08, 09:11 PM
mates has just dropped of the lights and ballast and hood thought i would try the bulb first ,hey presto and its workin so it was the bulb and not the ballast,ive to keep the setup from my mate so now i have a spare set,yeehah.cheers all.weed heed

Midnight Toker
28-03-08, 10:17 PM
All's well that ends well then M8 ..

I hope you were going to tell them & cancel the courier ?, after all you did give em some stick by the sounds of it ;)

weed heed
28-03-08, 11:40 PM
hiya,naw i didne gie them any stick mt i wasnt very happy though ive only been using the system for a fortnight and something went so i wisne chuffed.And of course am gonna phone them in the morning to cancel the courier am also gonna try and get a free bulb of them.thanks weed heed