PDA

View Full Version : Why all the 12/12 talk?

TheJudge
29-08-10, 06:27 PM
This is my first endeavour but the formula i'm using so far is:
16/8 for seedlings under a T5 fluourescent
then to 18/6 for veg under 400w MH
then to 12/12 for flowering under either 400 or 600w HPS.

I see a lot of talk about 12/12 here. Is that to keep the plants super small and manageable? Space is not an issue for me so i had planned to keep to the above schedule. Any thoughts?

J420
29-08-10, 06:31 PM
No plants grow bigger with less light (if you let your seedlings have less light they will stretch Alot but you don't want that in the beggining only in flowering)and 12/12 is the summer time/daylight and night time scheme which tells the plant's its time to start flowering etc

up2nogood
29-08-10, 06:31 PM
This is my first endeavour but the formula i'm using so far is:
16/8 for seedlings under a T5 fluourescent
then to 18/6 for veg under 400w MH
then to 12/12 for flowering under either 400 or 600w HPS.

I see a lot of talk about 12/12 here. Is that to keep the plants super small and manageable? Space is not an issue for me so i had planned to keep to the above schedule. Any thoughts?

no 12/12 is the hours of darkness and hours of light your plants need when you want to go into flower

bud_alzir
29-08-10, 06:46 PM
hi judge your schedule and method sounds fine bud no worries there. and yes in most cases to keep them managable imo but some strains(i.e nl#5 x haze) are better of flowered with little to no veg time as they may have a 4/5/6 times stretch on them(sativa's) and a 2 foot plant is going to be a triffid when flowered out which also means a 600 watt light only penetrates the first 3 foot of the canopy/plant efficently so out under that is not getting the lumens it requires for full potential imo.all the best:)

The Lost Soul
29-08-10, 06:47 PM
Yo! Up_2 mate. I think he's asking if starting at 12/12 from seed/clone will keep the plants small throughout the grow.
I don't know but maybe you can answer mate.
Cheers

up2nogood
29-08-10, 07:04 PM
Yo! Up_2 mate. I think he's asking if starting at 12/12 from seed/clone will keep the plants small throughout the grow.
I don't know but maybe you can answer mate.
Cheers

he didn't say 12/12 from seeds lol..if he is then 12/12 from seed can get to a size like a auto averaging 10 to 16 inches but I haven't grown from seed 12/12 but seen some get to 2 feet

TheJudge
30-08-10, 12:03 AM
thanks guys! I think it was just the terminology that threw me. At first I thought it was a method to grow tiny plants in tiny areas but with big yield.

I can't wait 'til my 12/12 experience but am currently only 10 days after my sprouts came up from the soil. I'm trying Super Lemon Haze and intend to flower for 10 weeks. The thought of waiting that long drives me crazy but think it should be worth it.

Thanks again for the replies, i hope to be a contributing member of the community.

wert
30-08-10, 12:13 AM
12/12 from seed
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?3908-lemon-stinkys-12-12-from-seed-using-only-200w-enviro
good technique for a continuous harvest in a single grow space.

gary 2k977
30-08-10, 12:27 AM
sorry to interrupt i was just readin this and wondered can u keep a plant in veg for as long as u choose or does she choose and u just have to adjust the lighs accordingly??

wert
30-08-10, 12:32 AM
you can keep a mother [vegging] for many years.

TheJudge
30-08-10, 12:34 AM
gary, from what i've read, not experienced yet, once the plant starts to pre-flower that's the time to move to flower HOWEVER if you want to make it a mother plant for clones you can keep it in veg state for over a year. What i take from that though is that once you make it a mother plant you can't ever flower it.

wert
30-08-10, 12:38 AM
gary, from what i've read, not experienced yet, once the plant starts to pre-flower that's the time to move to flower HOWEVER if you want to make it a mother plant for clones you can keep it in veg state for over a year. What i take from that though is that once you make it a mother plant you can't ever flower it.

pre flowers are a sign of sexual maturity,not a sign to flower.
mother plants can be kept in veg for years and then flowered with no problems.

up2nogood
30-08-10, 12:40 AM
sorry to interrupt i was just readin this and wondered can u keep a plant in veg for as long as u choose or does she choose and u just have to adjust the lighs accordingly??

you can keep plant as mothers in veg for years and take cuttings gary.then if you decide you want her to stop being a mother in veg just go 12/12 to flower
edit:damn wert beat me to it ...lol

TheJudge
30-08-10, 04:50 AM
Cool, thanks for the info!

MellowYellow
30-08-10, 08:34 AM
I grew a seed from 12/12 in my last grow. Unfortunatley she dried out and never recovered so I never got her to harvest, but from the size she was when she died I reckon I would have had somewhere between 3/4 and 1oz off her. she wasn't tiny at all.