PDA

View Full Version : Lowryder lighting

Strider
27-04-08, 01:13 PM
Afternoon

First time I've dabbled with lowryders, Id kind of dismissed them before as not suitable for my grow, more aimed at small stealth grows, but im starting a few today and im wanting to be sure I've got this right..

this plant is supposed to be 16/8 from seed right? would it gain any advantage through 24 hrs for first week or two? while its still sort of in forced veg, or would this screw with its autoflowering?

I also presume there is little point in repotting them, ill be starting them in 3l pots, ny need for bigger?

And given how fast the buggers flower, I take it I need to keep a MUCH closer eye for males?

Anything else glaringly obvious about these strains I've missed?

Cheers

Strider

allahu_akbar
27-04-08, 01:23 PM
i really wish i could get my hands on some lowryder seeeds?

sorry no advice just admiring

The Green Man
27-04-08, 01:38 PM
you could do with using bigger pots, i used some 10l and some 6l but if they aren't your main grow then it won't matter as much
the ones in the 6l yielded between 1/4 to 1/2oz and the ones in the 10l were about 1oz to 1 1/2 oz

flowers usually appear at 15-20 days so just check them everyday if you can

as for the lights i grew mine on 18/6, people have grown on 24/0 but i think this leads to a lower yield so its up to you

what lowryder is it you have? i like the sound of the diesel ryder

Strider
27-04-08, 01:52 PM
you could do with using bigger pots, i used some 10l and some 6l but if they aren't your main grow then it won't matter as much
the ones in the 6l yielded between 1/4 to 1/2oz and the ones in the 10l were about 1oz to 1 1/2 oz

flowers usually appear at 15-20 days so just check them everyday if you can

as for the lights i grew mine on 18/6, people have grown on 24/0 but i think this leads to a lower yield so its up to you

what lowryder is it you have? i like the sound of the diesel ryder

You need that big pots to get even an oz yeild out them? yeesh!

I'll start them in 3's and then move them femles to 6l's, MAYBE one or two in 10's if it permits

how bloody fast must it be building a rootball for a plant to fill 10l in that sort of time?

Oh, it was a mixed 20 pack of LR's I got, so i imagine there will be a diesel or two in there :)

The Green Man
27-04-08, 02:05 PM
you might not need 10l pots cos mine weren't grown in the best conditions so im sure you will get better results

that's a good idea going from 3l to 6l with the fems
here's a pic of my biggest next to my runt, im not sure how old they were when i took that pic but it must have been near the end
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j236/uncleboab/100_2288.jpg
I've not got a pic with something for scale but that's in a 10l pot
so yeah they grow pretty quick lol

marijuanamat
27-04-08, 02:05 PM
6L should be more then enough and if you can start them in the 6L pots so you don't have to disturb them plus they'll root the pot faster which should lead to a healthier plant and higher yield and i've seen them grown under most lighting and poet's LR2's on 16/8 yielded very nicely from what i remember,but that was LR2 not 1.

The Green Man
27-04-08, 05:51 PM
6L should be more then enough and if you can start them in the 6L pots so you don't have to disturb them plus they'll root the pot faster which should lead to a healthier plant and higher yield and i've seen them grown under most lighting and poet's LR2's on 16/8 yielded very nicely from what i remember,but that was LR2 not 1.

well there you go from the master himself
i was told to use 10l pots when i started growing mine tho

does anyone know if lowryder/mossy's would be ok to grow with just a 200w blue enviro? i've got a spare blue one and i dont have the cash for a red one

hobo
28-04-08, 12:09 PM
I've recently managed just under an oz on each of two LR's under just a 125w enviro in 6.5L pots, first grow too so anyone should be able to recreate or better that. they took 80 days though

Strider
28-04-08, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the good advice all, makes sense

Oh, t'will be a 600w HPS these will be under, in the wee Street tent I won last month :)

Wont be able to start them in 10s obv, the tent is nowhere near big enough for 10 pots that size, so it may have to be 6's, I suppose I can repot fems to 10s if I choose....

I had to return to my old flat to reclaim my lucky germination box, but I got it, so now everything will be ok :)

munkman
28-04-08, 04:44 PM
good news strider, i also remebers poets grow pretty sure he got 4oz from 3 lr2's under a 400w.

marijuanamat
01-05-08, 12:49 PM
does anyone know if lowryder/mossy's would be ok to grow with just a 200w blue enviro? i've got a spare blue one and i dont have the cash for a red one

Yes you can grow them under just a blue spec if you wanted .

Strider
01-05-08, 01:09 PM
wow, small darkroom street tents don't seem to like 600 hps lights much...

this could be an issue...

Dave
01-05-08, 05:41 PM
wow, small darkroom street tents don't seem to like 600 hps lights much...

this could be an issue...

Heat a problem? Light leaks? Are the sides melting? :rvmp:

Strider
02-05-08, 12:25 AM
Its alright....i just cant close it fully, which thanfully isnt an issue (for now)

Using passive extraction doesnt help (my last flat was grow heaven, I've yet to obtain fans and filters)

Dave
02-05-08, 01:34 AM
Ah, see what you mean. Yeah I can imagine 600w will be pretty toasty in there til you sort extraction out. Good luck with it :)

Strider
19-06-08, 09:15 AM
*bump*

Well 7 weeks on and thats them near enough done, no working cam unfortunatly (for now)

In the end I went for 24/7 lighting, which seems to have resulted in VERY quick but VERY small plants, kinda the opposite of what I intended :S

So for next time, I assume having dark periods allows the plant to photosynthesize better thus grow more?

The ones I started and kept in 3l pots topped off at about 25cm, the ones I repotted into 6/7l's at about 37cm, they all seemed to react quite happily to the biobizz feeds though, buds have def bulked up and its a stronger smoke than I expected :)

So theyre are lessons to be learned for next time, one of em being they REALLY didn't need a 600w HPS, a 250 or 400 would make more sense next time, maybe even enviros...

Also want to go for an AK x LR hybrid next time, simply cause I love the smoke of the 47 :D

Will gets pics of them at some point :)

Strider
19-06-08, 09:30 AM
kickass, i was able to coax the camera battery to last for just ONE pic :D

https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/lr1.JPG

organix
19-06-08, 09:53 AM
Size looks pretty normal for a lowryder, people claiming oz and half with lr1? maybe growing lr2. auto Ak can only taste much better than lr1 and I believe the breeder says 20/4 for best results.:)

Flashheart
26-06-08, 08:43 PM
Nice one mate.

I have got 3 female lowryder 2's on the go

Can you let me know what you are going to do for drying/curing?

Strider
26-07-08, 01:02 PM
^^^ hmm, I presume that question is really relelvent anymore ^^^

Going to be following through on my plan to try 5 fem's of one of the LR x 47 strains under a 200w enviro, i can however only afford one bulb for present, so which one would i get the most benefit from? red or blue

If i went for a blue one, id only have to use it for the first month, then there would be space under a 600w HPS for them, and im needing a veg light for my next grow anyway..

...OR seeing as these will be autoflowering, would I be better going for red spectrum from day one

Not really happy with the way my last ones turned out, really should have gave them bigger pots and a dark period from the get go, I expect far better this time, grow diary to follow in next week likely :)

bergkamp
26-07-08, 06:12 PM
good luck with the new grow , id be interested to see what the results would be under enviros - as for the spec i think you can dual spec cfl lights now. havent used one myself but might be worth you looking at.

Flashheart
27-07-08, 09:44 PM
I started my LR2's on a 200w blue enviro. That seemed fine for the vegging stage. The red 200w enviro wasn't realy strong enough and I forked out for a 400w HPS. Will be starting to flush them on tuesday. Will let you know what weight I get once I have stumbled my way through harvesting and curing :harvest:

Hope that helps.

Strider
28-07-08, 12:16 AM
How many plants you have under a 200w Flash? its 5 im thinking of doing

bergkamp
28-07-08, 12:50 PM
ive got four plants in 5 ltr pots and i would say thats about the max you would get under it. of course if you are using smaller pots you might get a couple more

Flashheart
28-07-08, 10:17 PM
Had 4, got lucky and only one turned out to be male. So I have 3 ladies that have been suffering in the heat! Hope not too much damage has been done.

Running them in a Dark Room DR80 grow tent with an oscolating fan 100mm RUCK fan and Phat filter. Growing them in a flow gro 500 flood and drain system. If I could have kept the heat under control at the begining I think they would have been even better. Recon the 200w enviro is perfect for a small space and 4 plants.

Strider
01-08-08, 12:44 PM
I now has my 5 femmie lowryders, be a week odds before i can afford a CFL though (dont see the point in getting a 125) so would i be fine starting them under 12/12 HPS for now? Im impatient...

Flashheart
03-08-08, 08:13 AM
I started mine on 18/6 under the blue cfl. From What I have read give as much light as possible. Not sure about 24/24 though. I recon everthing needs a bit of time to chill! Probably could get away with starting them under the HPS, but I am no expert.

Strider
03-08-08, 10:22 AM
I started mine on 18/6 under the blue cfl. From What I have read give as much light as possible. Not sure about 24/24 though. I recon everthing needs a bit of time to chill! Probably could get away with starting them under the HPS, but I am no expert.

I tried 24/24 on them last time, I got mature weed in 7 weeks from seed, but near sod all off it, bout 4g a plant (I kid not) won't be doing that again

Flashheart
04-08-08, 09:37 AM
Just chopped my first bud to get some more light into the more undeveloped ones below. Top of main cola on the biggest of the 3. 54g wet untrimmed. Has taken bloody ages to get them to this point, However I think the ladies could have done with another week on nutes before I started the flush. Still I will be heading towards the 12 week mark, flushing and curing included. Missues sneaked a taster while I was at work. Giggling mess when I got home so I am hopefull it will be worth it. As I said before I ran 18/6 until the third week of flowering and then dropped to 16/8.

uktoker
04-08-08, 03:07 PM
I tried 24/24 on them last time, I got mature weed in 7 weeks from seed, but near sod all off it, bout 4g a plant (I kid not) won't be doing that again

How do you mean? 24 hours light, then 24 hours dark?

bergkamp
04-08-08, 03:51 PM
i think he meant lights left on 24 hours a day

Strider
04-08-08, 09:01 PM
Aye, as it 24 out of 24

uktoker
05-08-08, 12:13 AM
Ah right, was confused for a sec there. So, I guess i should take my lowryder #2 off 24/0 ?

Bit of a hard one though, as im going on holidays in a week, so cant turn lights on/off. A timer wouldnt look to good to my flat mates, and they'll probably follow it to my stealth grow.

normeo
05-08-08, 12:24 AM
well you have the light plugged in already? so get 4 gang extension lead and plug timer into that, there will still be just an electrical lead as before then. if you need more then one plug on the timer get one of them cubes, just make sure you don't have a stupid amount of current flowing through it

uktoker
05-08-08, 12:58 AM
Was thinking of that, i can put the timer in my grow cab, it will look exactly as normal. Just hope my plant doesnt grow too big in the week that im gone.

Flashheart
05-08-08, 11:08 AM
the biggest one of mine was about 45-50 cm.