PDA

View Full Version : Before I dump everything. Did I just create a new strain?

Up_in_smoke
11-10-10, 11:55 AM
Hi guys

Went round my mates house who has been growing the same 2 strains as me. We both had some K2 on that were from hermie seed. They have produced hermie plants as was expected (chanced).

Now some of those hermies (which were still budding lovely BTW) were in with some Pineapple Chunk from Femmed seed. The Chunk were about 3-4 weeks in front of the K2 and since the K2 has gone in there and sprayed a load of Jizz over the Pineapple's, everything in the room has hermied and as my mate didn't catch any of it in time. We have shit loads of seeds. The seeds are in everything, the K2 and the Pineapple.

Now the K2 seeds are obviously useless again and will be binned.
However we got thinking about the Chunk seeds, the mums are very stable and have only gone bad because of pollination. They wouldn't have hermied on their own I am 99% certain.
Are these chunk seeds any good or will they contain the same hermie genetics that the K2 seeds we used had? Or could they possibly produce feminised seeds of the Pineapple Chunk/K2 variety (If so, I'm patenting it at Pineapple Mountain, lol)

Any advice appreciated...Wert? I know you know the answer to this one.

humblepie
11-10-10, 12:02 PM
*waits for wert*

NaMeLeSs2005
11-10-10, 12:34 PM
Sorry to intrude (u could always pm wert) i like this thread, and have done similar with white widow hermies and cheese (keeping few seeds that turned out till i get more info), im guessing the pineapple chunk seeds are gonna b the cross, an there is meant to be stuff called reverse that stops the hermies going hermie!!
so dont bin your valuable seeds (also waits 4 werts opinion)

cannamancan
11-10-10, 12:47 PM
Chances are u have but I don't think it will be stable, it's a case of growing quite a few seeds and looking for the best Phenos , I wouldn't bin them anyway u could always plant/spread them outside next year and go visit them to pull males out , or even just plant them everywhere and c if they pollinate and grow the next year lol but I defo woulnt bin them m8.

wert
11-10-10, 12:59 PM
first off,has your pineapple chunk hermied [produced male and female flowers] or been seeded by the k2 that hermied ?
if the k2 hermied and pollinated the pineapple then the seeds produced by the cross with the pinapple will be fem seeds......but........how stable they are depends on how unstable the k2 was and how strong the trait has been passed on.you will only find out by germinating and growing out some of the seeds.
if the k2 hermied with little or no stress the trait may have been passed on strong to the next generation.

Up_in_smoke
11-10-10, 02:41 PM
first off,has your pineapple chunk hermied [produced male and female flowers] or been seeded by the k2 that hermied ?

The Pinapple didn't hermie. My bad wording, it was pollinated by the K2 (but female pollen? as the K2 was hermie seed so there should definately be no male genetics I think)

if the k2 hermied and pollinated the pineapple then the seeds produced by the cross with the pinapple will be fem seeds......but........how stable they are depends on how unstable the k2 was and how strong the trait has been passed on.you will only find out by germinating and growing out some of the seeds.
if the k2 hermied with little or no stress the trait may have been passed on strong to the next generation.

Unfortunately this is the bad part. The K2 hermied with absoloutly no stress at all. Same conditions the Pineapple were thriving in. We had about 5 total K2 in 2 diff flower rooms and ALL hermied so I think the trait is a strong one.
They hermied literally at 12/12. I pulled mine as soon as I saw the pre flowers but my mate being the non eye on keeping fucker he is, didn't notice any pre flowers and just watched the buds get bigger without realising all the time he had balls swinging in the wind.

The K2 was from bagseed from a grow where the guy had an entire crop of seeded bud. Why though we've never really established. But prior to his full crop of em, I got cuttings off him which is what my 1st grow was (remember the one where 1 hermied and 1 didn't). So the hermie trait does seem pretty prominent in this strain.

What would you recommend wert? Get 10 or so germed and see if we get any fems and if we do get a stable female mummy then we have created a new strain?

Sorry mate, totally new to breeding as it was by accident, lol

wert
11-10-10, 02:59 PM
What would you recommend wert? Get 10 or so germed and see if we get any fems and if we do get a stable female mummy then we have created a new strain?

Sorry mate, totally new to breeding as it was by accident, lol

i would germ as many as you have room for,they will be fem seeds some will be off the scale in one direction[hermie] and some will be quite stable. if you find a plant that is stable and is special in some way you can keep it for cuttings.
to keep a strain going you need to keep the original breeding parents to produce your seeds or they will be a similar mix from other parents of the same strains but not the same as your presant batch.how uniform and stable the genetics that are passed on depends if your p1 parents are stable ,if they are both heterozygous in certain traits they will not be stable in that particular trait.

Up_in_smoke
11-10-10, 03:05 PM
i would germ as many as you have room for,they will be fem seeds some will be off the scale in one direction[hermie] and some will be quite stable. if you find a plant that is stable and is special in some way you can keep it for cuttings.
to keep a strain going you need to keep the original breeding parents to produce your seeds or they will be a similar mix from other parents of the same strains but not the same as your presant batch.how uniform and stable the genetics that are passed on depends if your p1 parents are stable ,if they are both heterozygous in certain traits they will not be stable in that particular trait.

OK, I kind of follow.
Unfortunately keeping the parents will be a bit difficult, they're dead! lol
As soon as we realised his whole room was seeded and it was kinda close to harvest he just decided to call it a day for this grow and cut the lot.

Hmmm, this is gonna be a difficult one I think to stabilise as we don't have the biggest of spaces.
Would the best way to find out what will be female be say, germ as many as can. Let em grow for 4-5 weeks, then take say 2 cuttings off of each (otherwise we'll have shit loads of cuttings), and stick the cuttings straight into 12/12 to see what sex they are and see how long they'll grow out?

I'm not thinking of seeds anyway, just want to carry it on as a cutting. And who knows, if the strain works out as a nice mix of the two then perhaps think of going down the silver/gib acid for making some proper femmed seeds later only if its worth it

kingtwice
05-11-10, 09:47 PM
the good thing is you create a strain as soon as two strains of separate origin mate with one another the bad part is that once the hermi trait was introduced into the gene pool it will be there to stay and any thing that comes from that gene pool has the potential to spread that mutated gene to future off spring.
to breed your own strain you are better off finding something stable to mix with something else stable so it will be easy to isolate the traits that you like the most from each parent plant