PDA

View Full Version : no pest strips, predatory mites?

milehighguy
11-05-08, 03:09 PM
mites mites and more mites.....it was only a matter of time with my setup :mad: dry hot and dusty....anyway i cant steralize the room as im SoGing so i thought id go organic and give the predatory mites a try. I ordered a 1000 longipes predator mites from these guys http://www.growquest.com/hydroponic_shopping_page.htm(theyre the cheapest by far and are wicked helpful-and :thcleaf: discrete- they'll take a leaf sample, or room setup description and hook you up with a proper mite-killer package for 35 bucks- 17 pounds!).....BUT if that doesnt work out well i think i may go hitler on these bastards and hang up one of those no pest strips as ive heard good things about them- i know theyre way toxic but ive yet to read any concrete evidence linked cannibus contamination. input from anyone with experience using either would be greatly appreceated, thanks

marijuanamat
13-05-08, 08:56 PM
You need to get yourself some neem oil,its 100% organic and works a treat.
Heres a link to the cheapest place i know and think people pay £10 for 250ml of watered down neem oil.
http://www.theneemteam.co.uk/acatalog/Outdoor.html

organix
13-05-08, 10:13 PM
good link there matt.:)

milehighguy
14-05-08, 01:11 AM
tried neem oil it worked ok but i need a more long term solution as its a constant garden

i just got my predators :deviltoker: i must say there is a great sadistic satisfaction in knowing those little bastards and their unborn are going to be eaten alive :rock:!!!! if these guys dont do much damage in the next couple of days im just gonna get saddam on em and drop some no kill pest strips for a couple of days right after next harvest....tho id rather smoke an occasional mite than chemicals ive heard the chemical exposure is next to nil using no kill pest strips and theyre like the grail of mite killing. we shall see, we shall see...

Hashassin
14-05-08, 10:47 AM
Will they work during flowering though? Most predatory mites are only effective when there's 16+ hours of light, or they think it's time to go into hibernation/diapause..

milehighguy
15-05-08, 01:10 AM
Will they work during flowering though? Most predatory mites are only effective when there's 16+ hours of light, or they think it's time to go into hibernation/diapause..

hadnt thought of that:banghead: its actually my flower room so its never getting more or less than 12/12 havnt noticed a difference yet, but ill be watching closely:toke:

marijuanamat
16-05-08, 11:52 AM
Just buy 500ml of neem oil and make it up yourself.It'll last a good 6 month's to a year and it works really well and you need to use it 2-3 times a week until the infestation gone which will take a few week's then use it once a week as a preventative measure.You can also do what i do and soak a few gram's of tobbaco in boiling water and add the strained tobbaco juice to the neem for even beater killing power.

whiterussian
17-05-08, 10:31 PM

Spot on there;)

I found exactly that when using natural preds in my grow rooms, the ones in veg worked a treat, but the ones flower failed miserably and neem oil saved the day!

wr

milehighguy
20-05-08, 02:27 AM
THE BATTLE HAS BEEN WON!!!!!!!!!!!!:thefinger:THIS IS HOW TO KILL MITES AND ANY GROWROOM PESTS PERIOD!!!!!!!!:kill:

after moderate success with neem oil and predatory mites i decided to get nuclear on the little bastards as the infestation was severe:kill: first research research research after looking at the price and toxic exposure of extreme measures (pyrethiem bombs, internal insecticides) i stumbled upon 'hotshots' "no kill pest strips"in other less notable growing forums. It's basically a time released chemical insecticide square that you hang or stand in areas where you dont want bugs (ANY bugs). Its readily available at k mart and home depot (though i havnt seen any at walmart) for the whopping price of 6 bucks!!! (thats like three pounds in bloke moneys!) I've found no anecdotal evidence of adverse affects to cannabus in any forums anywhere (though plenty of diehard organic angst and bickering against it, but thats to be expected from those granola muching, stinky, hippy bastards:p) not to say it isnt out there but ive found none....So, not willing to go off the advice of any forum besides my favorite fellow grow gurus here at thctalk.com i did some research of my own....

information on dichhlorvos the active ingredient in no kill pest strips can be found here
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts88.html

heres a quote from an older study

Processing and cooking also removed large percentages of dichlorvos
which may be present on food. For example, wheat with 23.8 ppm of
dichlorvos after treatment produced flour with 4.6 ppm of dichlorvos.
Three months later, the wheat had 2.8 ppm of dichlorvos and the white
flour milled from it had 1.7 ppm. The dichlorvos residue in this flour
after 14 days' storage fell below the limits of detection. Shell
Chemical Company, U.S.A. (unpublished) found that biscuits made from
flour containing 0.35 ppm and 1.8 ppm of dichlorvos had 80 and 60
percent less dichlorvos, respectively. Flour with 9.5 ppm of
dichlorvos heated for 30 minutes at 100°C, 150°C, and 200°C had 0.2
ppm, 0.03 ppm, and 0.02 ppm of dichlorvos, respectively. Rice with 5.3
ppm of dichlorvos had only 0.06 ppm after cooking. Miller and Aitken
(1965) found frying and cooking completely destroyed dichlorvos in the
meat, leaving only products of hydrolysis.

evidence of chemical break down of the toxin through heat (ie smoking)

starting at 1 mg/kg. At this dosage the erythrocyte
cholinesterase activity was found 20-55% of normal.

In studies designed to test the safety of using dichlorvos for
the disinsection of aircraft, a group of 15 volunteers underwent
intermittent exposure totalling 5 hours per night, 4 nights per
week, for 2 weeks, at a concentration of 0.5 mg/m3 of air; this
produced a gradual, moderate reduction of plasma cholinesterase
activity, but no illness, no impairment of visual performance, no
increase in airway resistance of complex reaction time, and no
change in physical condition or neurological function. There was
no inhibition of erythrocyte cholinesterase activity, and the
lowest single plasma value observed was 34% of normal. Exposure
to half that concentration for 10 half-hour periods each night
for 10 weeks was tolerated without any effect, even on plasma
cholinesterase.

so chances are youve already been exposed to higher concentrations than you would in growroom use of this chemical through food or when flying. Its easily dispersed by a light washing with tap water after DIRECTLY applied to harvested fruits and veggies which is commonly done

so i decided to use it....i hung one 1 ft above the plant canopy in a 12 by 10 ft. by 7 ft high room with my ventilation still going (though my extraction isnt that great) in a severe growth stunting, almost apocolyptic infestation of these little life sucking fuckers.

48hours later.... not expecting much i decided to check on them and this pretty much sums up the total and complete anihlation of the mite infestation:yeah mate::rock::dance2::p:kill::jawdrop:
my plants have since perked up and are recovering extremly well to put it mildly! ive put away the pest strip and am thoroughly pleased with the results. If anyone has severe mite problems i would definitely say this is the say all end all cure. Im not saying these are completely harmless ( id not use them far into flower or for extended periods of time) and sure there will be the organic naysayers but as far as mite ERADICATION this is the best choice by far! let the naysayers smoke mite poop and carcass and eggs!:thefinger:

Hashassin
22-05-08, 09:03 PM
Anything with dichlorvos in has been banned for years over here, just to save UK growers searching around for it..

The newish Westlands Bug Attack + Defence is getting good feedback, though can't be used through flowering (contains Abamectin which hasn't been available in retail products until now) or SB Plant Invigorator for use at any time.. not only kills things (and their eggs) but controls fungus and acts as a foliar feed too :party:

Karl
20-07-11, 01:25 PM
Anything with dichlorvos in has been banned for years over here, just to save UK growers searching around for it..

The newish Westlands Bug Attack + Defence is getting good feedback, though can't be used through flowering (contains Abamectin which hasn't been available in retail products until now) or SB Plant Invigorator for use at any time.. not only kills things (and their eggs) but controls fungus and acts as a foliar feed too :party:

Well ive just got some on ebay it's from usa but says delivers worldwide . So will it get into the plant and make it toxic ? or just the suroundings ?

Karl
20-07-11, 01:26 PM
THE BATTLE HAS BEEN WON!!!!!!!!!!!!:thefinger:THIS IS HOW TO KILL MITES AND ANY GROWROOM PESTS PERIOD!!!!!!!!:kill:

after moderate success with neem oil and predatory mites i decided to get nuclear on the little bastards as the infestation was severe:kill: first research research research after looking at the price and toxic exposure of extreme measures (pyrethiem bombs, internal insecticides) i stumbled upon 'hotshots' "no kill pest strips"in other less notable growing forums. It's basically a time released chemical insecticide square that you hang or stand in areas where you dont want bugs (ANY bugs). Its readily available at k mart and home depot (though i havnt seen any at walmart) for the whopping price of 6 bucks!!! (thats like three pounds in bloke moneys!) I've found no anecdotal evidence of adverse affects to cannabus in any forums anywhere (though plenty of diehard organic angst and bickering against it, but thats to be expected from those granola muching, stinky, hippy bastards:p) not to say it isnt out there but ive found none....So, not willing to go off the advice of any forum besides my favorite fellow grow gurus here at thctalk.com i did some research of my own....

information on dichhlorvos the active ingredient in no kill pest strips can be found here
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts88.html

heres a quote from an older study

evidence of chemical break down of the toxin through heat (ie smoking)

starting at 1 mg/kg. At this dosage the erythrocyte
cholinesterase activity was found 20-55% of normal.

In studies designed to test the safety of using dichlorvos for
the disinsection of aircraft, a group of 15 volunteers underwent
intermittent exposure totalling 5 hours per night, 4 nights per
week, for 2 weeks, at a concentration of 0.5 mg/m3 of air; this
produced a gradual, moderate reduction of plasma cholinesterase
activity, but no illness, no impairment of visual performance, no
increase in airway resistance of complex reaction time, and no
change in physical condition or neurological function. There was
no inhibition of erythrocyte cholinesterase activity, and the
lowest single plasma value observed was 34% of normal. Exposure
to half that concentration for 10 half-hour periods each night
for 10 weeks was tolerated without any effect, even on plasma
cholinesterase.

so chances are youve already been exposed to higher concentrations than you would in growroom use of this chemical through food or when flying. Its easily dispersed by a light washing with tap water after DIRECTLY applied to harvested fruits and veggies which is commonly done

so i decided to use it....i hung one 1 ft above the plant canopy in a 12 by 10 ft. by 7 ft high room with my ventilation still going (though my extraction isnt that great) in a severe growth stunting, almost apocolyptic infestation of these little life sucking fuckers.

48hours later.... not expecting much i decided to check on them and this pretty much sums up the total and complete anihlation of the mite infestation:yeah mate::rock::dance2::p:kill::jawdrop:
my plants have since perked up and are recovering extremly well to put it mildly! ive put away the pest strip and am thoroughly pleased with the results. If anyone has severe mite problems i would definitely say this is the say all end all cure. Im not saying these are completely harmless ( id not use them far into flower or for extended periods of time) and sure there will be the organic naysayers but as far as mite ERADICATION this is the best choice by far! let the naysayers smoke mite poop and carcass and eggs!:thefinger:

im happy for you and hope it works as well for others me included :)