PDA

View Full Version : Closet Grow

theinfected
20-05-08, 08:56 AM
Ok, so basically i want to grow 1-2 plants in my closet
my closet is about 2x3 feet maybe a little bigger. but is 10feet tall.

I want to grow about 1-2 plants and i read that i need Metal Halide Lamps for vegetation stage and a HPS light for flower/budding stage.

But i was wondering since its such a small space do i need both lights? and if i do can you guys recommend how many watts (etc).

Also since it is going to be in my bedroom closet i need a way to vent this out.
If i make a hole in the back of the wall in my closet it will lead out onto the porch at my house. so if anyone can tell me a good way i should vent this out i would appreciate this very much. The closet also has shelves in it 3 of them starting from about 3 feet off ground going up. so if that would help in any design? if not i can take them out.

I also looked into fertilizer and soil. I am going to buy a soil that comes with fertilizer already in it, and then after about 2-3 weeks i will add more like it says, and i see that i need nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. I seen something that said each nutrient is needed more at different growing stages. So i was confused on how i put more nitrogen then the rest at beginning and more phosphorus and then more potassium when all three nutrients are in one fertilizer.
Also if any1 could recommend a certain size of a pot for the plant to grow in.

For now those are the basic things i need help with before i start my growing.
Please respond as soon as possible with answers and suggestions. If you rather not answer here, i have AIM, my screen-name is Crashbog127
Thank You in advance

CheeseGreen
20-05-08, 09:51 AM
Alright mate. Firstly i'd like to welcome you to the forum.

From my experience of my closet grow, you do not need an HPS or MH for a closet grow with 1 - 2 plants. I wanted to put a picture of mine up but my mum has the cable connecting my phone and my computer.

In my experience your cupboard would get very very hot very very rapidly and you need some heavy duty extraction and intake system to keep the temperature balanced. Personaly, I would use CFL's which is what i use. A CFL does not give off as many lumens as an MH or HPS, however since they are technically glorified energy saving bulbs they don't give off anywhere close to the amount of heat as the others. The bulbs are also a lot cheaper and you won't need to change your ballast/reflector as well which saves the pennys. Also, since they DONT give off as much heat you can get them a lot closer to the top of the plant without fear of burning it. You don't need a big MH or HPS for 1 - 2 plants.

I use a 250w blue spectrum cfl for main veg growth and a 200w red spectrum cfl for the flowering stage. I also have a 125w blue spectrum bulb hanging vertically next to my plant which i think has done it a world of good but isn't necessary. what you would need to buy for this setup is just the reflector and 2 different spectrum bulbs. If you can, buy a cable with an E40 input (http://www.greenshorticulture.co.uk/details.asp?productid=778&subcat=290&cat=95) so you can then have both of your bulbs running at once. The bulb with the spectrum you need for each certain stage of growth can be the main one in the reflector and the bulb with the spectrum you don't need can hang vertically. All different spectrums of light can help even when they aren't necessary.

Sorry it was a bit of an essay but if i was in your position that's what i would do an infact that is what i am doing :D

Good luck whatever you decide mate. Once you get it going you should set up a diary.

Ok, so basically i want to grow 1-2 plants in my closet
my closet is about 2x3 feet maybe a little bigger. but is 10feet tall.

I want to grow about 1-2 plants and i read that i need Metal Halide Lamps for vegetation stage and a HPS light for flower/budding stage.

But i was wondering since its such a small space do i need both lights? and if i do can you guys recommend how many watts (etc).

Also since it is going to be in my bedroom closet i need a way to vent this out.
If i make a hole in the back of the wall in my closet it will lead out onto the porch at my house. so if anyone can tell me a good way i should vent this out i would appreciate this very much. The closet also has shelves in it 3 of them starting from about 3 feet off ground going up. so if that would help in any design? if not i can take them out.

I also looked into fertilizer and soil. I am going to buy a soil that comes with fertilizer already in it, and then after about 2-3 weeks i will add more like it says, and i see that i need nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. I seen something that said each nutrient is needed more at different growing stages. So i was confused on how i put more nitrogen then the rest at beginning and more phosphorus and then more potassium when all three nutrients are in one fertilizer.
Also if any1 could recommend a certain size of a pot for the plant to grow in.

For now those are the basic things i need help with before i start my growing.
Please respond as soon as possible with answers and suggestions. If you rather not answer here, i have AIM, my screen-name is Crashbog127
Thank You in advance

CheeseGreen
20-05-08, 09:54 AM
Found a pic on my pc anyway

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/alimoc/Photo-0029.jpg

At the minute they are both blue spectrum because my mate is using my red spectrum (he lent me his other blue). But a variety of light would be just as beneficial and you're still only buying 2 bulbs.

theinfected
20-05-08, 05:54 PM
Ok, so how much would lights like those cost, and also i think i understand how to set it up now, since they are going to be those lights though, does that mean
less buds? and short plants? And the CFL is to cool it correct?
How about ventilation in such a small space?

also does any1 have any recommendations on the soil and to answer my questions on fertilization

organix
20-05-08, 05:59 PM
They come in 125,200 and 250watt versions. Cost around £15-£40.

You will want to keep the plants as short as possible, less bud than bigger plants but that is to be expected but the quality will be just as good, resin production is very good under envirolites I've found.:)

theinfected
20-05-08, 06:03 PM
ok since they will be short plants will they grow faster? or actually take longer since they are under less powerful lights?

and what soil/fertilizer do you use?

also should i punch a whole in my closet and put some type of piping out to my porch? or how should i work with that? heh

WTL
20-05-08, 06:25 PM
A lot of people are using plagron batmix with bio bizz nutes at the moment so you could try them mate.

Take a look round the grow diaries dude, theres a load of envirolite grows, they will give you a really good idea of what you need/want mate.

theinfected
20-05-08, 06:27 PM
ok so that takes care with just about everything i just basically need to figure out how i am going to vent this place.
and if i shud use reflective material on the walls

i really appreciate all the help and the quick answers. really helping me a lot :)

theinfected
20-05-08, 07:27 PM
i don't have much money to spend so i was wondering . since its a small closet. i would some how need to fit fans in there and also the ventilation i am just stubbed...
it seems like my only option is to make a hole in the wall and some how vent it out to the porch.
Any Ideas anyone?

my 1 other question was, since its a lot less powered lights ill be using, it is going to take a lot more time to grow wont it?

zoots
20-05-08, 07:59 PM
your best bet is to look at greens horticulture as chees said they av little inline fans that should sort your extraction out
look at some diarys to suss out how long your grow might take:bigjoint:

theinfected
20-05-08, 08:16 PM
ok so i basically i think i am ready to start once i decide on what soil and fertilizer i want i see that there are plenty to choose from.

since its a small space i can use like 1-2 fans right 1 for bottom 1 at top kind of?

just need to look at venting equipment to see how i can possibly vent it in my little setup. because i live on second floor, and my closet will go out to the porch if i make a hole in it

zoots
20-05-08, 08:40 PM
i'm on my 1st grow n i used bio biz allmix for the 1st few weeks then changed to plagron batmix, shouldnt cost to much with just 2 plants goin:p

theinfected
20-05-08, 08:45 PM
they shud have same stuff in usa right
u changes to batmix, bcuz it was better? or any certain reason?

zoots
20-05-08, 09:01 PM
hopefully it will make your buds grow fatter:drool:

theinfected
20-05-08, 09:12 PM
nice.
i cant wait to start i just need to find a place to buy
CFL lights
Reflective Material
All the stuff to make sure lights hang correct
and that e40 input thing , what ever tht is i dont even get what its for, lol

zoots
20-05-08, 09:22 PM
go to www.greenshorticulture.co.uk they deliver

theinfected
20-05-08, 09:29 PM
aweomse thx

ok my question now is
if i buy 2 cfl lights red and blue spectrum like cheese recommended, what does he mean by that e40 input to have both work?
im a little confused with that
dont i just buy both lamps. plug them in to my socket and start growing?

theinfected
20-05-08, 09:35 PM
"to late to edit post"

i cant shop there bcuz they only ship to UK Mainland. i live in U.S.A. so ill have to find another shop to buy from.
but anyways in the meanwhile
that e40 input?

zoots
20-05-08, 10:04 PM
no experiance with them lamps but i think its just a cable with a plug on 1 end and a light socket on other

zoots
20-05-08, 10:05 PM
look at cheesegreens pic

theinfected
20-05-08, 10:18 PM
ahh icic. kk looks like now all i need ot do is place my orders and i can start my growing.
just need to go to Home Depot for soil/fertilzer/pots

and then find a store for lamps.
CFL blue and red spectrums
250wblue 200w red :)

and then i need reflective covers over the lamps as well right? so its not wasted light?

zoots
20-05-08, 10:32 PM
u got it good luck m8

theinfected
20-05-08, 10:36 PM
thank you. will deffinetly start a diary up when i get it going.. but probably wont be for about a week seeing as no stores around here have CFL tht i know of