PDA

View Full Version : Spiders

CheeseGreen
02-06-08, 01:29 PM
This isn't really feedback or a suggestion. It's just those yahoo and google spiders make me really uneasy. The idea of mining our golden and illegally driven information is a bit worrying. Is there any personal security danger from these spiders? I know you can input HTML codes into the forum that should stop them mining the information but that would stop people joining i suppose....

Anybody know any solid information about what they are doing and recording?

The_Hunter
02-06-08, 05:08 PM
Put this in your robots.txt
Code:

User-agent: Googlebot*
Disallow: /
User-agent: *
Allow: /

Put that in your root directory. Should be working. This only disallows googlebot on all pages.

oh yeah

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/search-engine-chart.gif
Google.com began as an academic search engine. In the paper that describes how the system was built, Sergey Brin and Lawrence Page give an example of how quickly their spiders can work. They built their initial system to use multiple spiders, usually three at one time. Each spider could keep about 300 connections to Web pages open at a time. At its peak performance, using four spiders, their system could crawl over 100 pages per second, generating around 600 kilobytes of data each second.

CheeseGreen
03-06-08, 11:32 AM
Put this in your robots.txt
Code:

Put that in your root directory. Should be working. This only disallows googlebot on all pages.

oh yeah

Shame I'm not an admin. I think LK and Rag would be a little annoyed if their site stopped popping up on google though. I bet 90% of the traffic in here comes through google.

Was just a thought. Really i wanted to know whether or not it was collecting data on us?

The_Hunter
03-06-08, 05:53 PM
yes it is.

lkdj2003
05-06-08, 01:14 PM
The bots help us in the search engines and also to help promote our shop. The bots won't be collecting any personal info nor pm's from our forum. ;)

CheeseGreen
05-06-08, 03:16 PM
The bots help us in the search engines and also to help promote our shop. The bots won't be collecting any personal info nor pm's from our forum. ;)

Thats pretty much all i need to know. As long as google (who sell information to companies and ultimatly the government) don't have my IP and aren't associating it with marijuana growing then i'm okay :D

Thanks peeps.

lkdj2003
05-06-08, 03:22 PM
Thats pretty much all i need to know. As long as google (who sell information to companies and ultimatly the government) don't have my IP and aren't associating it with marijuana growing then i'm okay :D

Thanks peeps.

No prob's mate, you can always use a proxy server for extra safety if you feel the need. https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

CheeseGreen
05-06-08, 03:24 PM
No prob's mate, you can always use a proxy server for extra safety if you feel the need. https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

I tried to set up a proxy once, but every free and anonymous proxy i could find just spackered my internet so i didn't bother.

I'm sure it'll be fine. I don't think the police are going to come knocking on my door. Its more for my parents than for me because it's their house, so they would get arse raped when they aren't doing a thing wrong really.

Grim
05-06-08, 11:46 PM
if you're worried about protecting ur ip you could change it every month

Grim
05-06-08, 11:53 PM
1. First click on Start then Run and type command in the Open: field and press the OK button.

2. To determine what your IP address and default gateware are we need to run ipconfig.exe. Type ipconfig.exe and press enter. The Default Gateway address and the IP Address will be displayed. Regardless of whether there are addresses listed here, continue with the next two steps.

3. You will need to release your current IP address and gateway in order to get a new one. If this turns out not to be the problem with your computer, this proceedure will not hurt anything by attempting it. Release your current IP by typing the following ipconfig /release and then press enter. This will release any assigned IP addresses and gateways from your computer.

4. Next you need to type in ipconfig /renew to get a new IP address or default gateway. On the screen your should see your new Default Gateway and IP Address. If you are using a router or your IP has not changed on your modem then the addresses may not have changed.

5. Type exit to leave the command prompt and get to Windows.

These changes should take effect immediately.

CheeseGreen
06-06-08, 06:38 AM
1. First click on Start then Run and type command in the Open: field and press the OK button.

2. To determine what your IP address and default gateware are we need to run ipconfig.exe. Type ipconfig.exe and press enter. The Default Gateway address and the IP Address will be displayed. Regardless of whether there are addresses listed here, continue with the next two steps.

3. You will need to release your current IP address and gateway in order to get a new one. If this turns out not to be the problem with your computer, this proceedure will not hurt anything by attempting it. Release your current IP by typing the following ipconfig /release and then press enter. This will release any assigned IP addresses and gateways from your computer.

4. Next you need to type in ipconfig /renew to get a new IP address or default gateway. On the screen your should see your new Default Gateway and IP Address. If you are using a router or your IP has not changed on your modem then the addresses may not have changed.

5. Type exit to leave the command prompt and get to Windows.

These changes should take effect immediately.

would this render all of my cookies and auto-logins useless?

CannaJoe
08-06-08, 10:22 PM
Quite possible yes. It depends upon the website your using, and whether they use your IP Address within their cookies to assign Session ID's. I don't believe it would, though. Most cookies are randomly generated MD5 hashes and don't contain any IP information. Try entering 'javascript:alert(document.cookie)' into your web browsers address bar now, then press enter. It will display the cookie that THCTalk has assigned to your computer.

bubbs
09-06-08, 05:57 AM
i love your new avater cannajoe its so cute :D

bergkamp
10-07-08, 08:50 AM
would this render all of my cookies and auto-logins useless?

dont take my word for it but i dont think it would , as most people dont have a static ip address .
my ip address is different every time i log on and all my cookies and auto logins still work ok.

and as for renewing your ip address as in the advice given above, all addresses that you use are traceable to you by the right people so i dont think you will really be gaining anything by doing this

PTB
10-07-08, 09:16 AM
Paranoia everywhere! Oh noes!

I worry about this. I only come on here at work... Is anybody else growing worried? I love talking on THCtalk though :(

Anybody know a good proxy site then?

bergkamp
12-07-08, 05:42 AM
Paranoia everywhere! Oh noes!

I worry about this. I only come on here at work... Is anybody else growing worried? I love talking on THCtalk though :(

Anybody know a good proxy site then?

another thing for you to worry about then is that most companies track and log all internet usage on there networks.

Strider
12-07-08, 12:04 PM
true dat, depewnds who you work for I guess

Lt. Pink
14-07-08, 02:30 AM
PTB my place of work monitors all usage and we get a print out each month! they even know what we have on our hard drive pictures/documents etc it's quite worrying what people can actually hack into legally or otherwise....

PTB
14-07-08, 11:12 AM
I don't think they do that here. It's only a small business, I've bene doing it for ages in any case and nothings been said. God damn, now I'm really paranoid. haha, your making me scared to post on thctalk!! haha

In any case my employer already knows I smoke weed and knows I've done other things too.

Bad Muthafucka
16-07-08, 07:16 PM
Don't stress yourselfs. Any rozzers try it on with you, just tell them you know Bad. Then say,

"Yeah, that Bad."

The fun then is to see whether they cry or run away first.

lkdj2003
23-07-08, 01:54 PM
Don't stress yourselfs. Any rozzers try it on with you, just tell them you know Bad. Then say,

"Yeah, that Bad."

The fun then is to see whether they cry or run away first.

Lmao, you nutter you. :deviltoker:

I think they will run!

walrus
25-07-08, 08:44 PM
dont take my word for it but i dont think it would , as most people dont have a static ip address .
my ip address is different every time i log on and all my cookies and auto logins still work ok.

and as for renewing your ip address as in the advice given above, all addresses that you use are traceable to you by the right people so i dont think you will really be gaining anything by doing this

AFAIK every time your browser forms a http request to an internet resource it sends all the cookies it has cached.

Server side code checks through the array of cookies to see if there is one it has set, it doesnt matter about IP address. Cookies are just text basically that is bundled into the request (as the http protocol without encryption is just plain readable text).