PDA

View Full Version : Female seeds myth..

WastedYouth
27-12-10, 04:26 PM
Afternoon all, i was chatting with a grower friend of mine the other day and we got onto the subject of feminised seeds and methods etc, Now he claims to have been told by another grower that there is a chemical on the exterior of the seed shell, and [if] the taproot touches the outside of the shell it shall be a male and if it doesnt it will be female (spurrious thinking eh?), He also says to increase chances of a female seed, you should add a small amount of cheap colourless bleach to your water when soaking initially to kill this 'male chemical' on the seeds exterior. He recommended a teaspoon in approx 1 pint of water.

Im not sure whether i believe this , so wanted to get others views and any scientific knowledge on this.

Discuss.

alwaystoned_1
27-12-10, 04:30 PM
never heard of this pal but id say its bullshit lol from what i think seeds are male or female from when there made so different ways of sprouting them aint gooing to change there sex

bud_alzir
27-12-10, 04:34 PM
hi wasted youth.i have never heard of such a thing and personally think it's untrue but that's just my view does he have this in writing/book as i have come across some unusual things to do with weed but never seen them writen down/in a book yet.all the best:xmas:

javadog
27-12-10, 05:06 PM
you should get werts opinion on this. but i highly doubt it

Grub
27-12-10, 05:13 PM
For ages now people have been talking about ways to encourage seeds to become female, usually by introducing the seed to various chemicals.
From what i understand about biology, the sex of a seed, (and any living creature) is determined at conception and there's nothing we can do to change that. The same as we can't alter the sex of a human baby after conception.

The only way to guarantee female seeds is to feminize them.

sir-smokes-alot
27-12-10, 05:20 PM
here here lol

Quang
27-12-10, 05:29 PM
That's not 100% true grub , there's no guaranteed feamale from seed .
I read about folks getting males and hermies here all the time , i've given up asking were they herminised seeds .

Grub
27-12-10, 05:34 PM
That's not 100% true grub , there's no guaranteed feamale from seed .
I read about folks getting males and hermies here all the time , i've given up asking were they herminised seeds .

Yes, unfortunately hermies from feminized seeds are one of the side effects of messing with mother nature.
Males resulting from feminized seeds are probably due to human error during the feminizing process, imo.

Quang
27-12-10, 05:40 PM
I'm actually hoping for a male from some feminised only seeds .
Do some breeding or spray with collidol silver turn a feamale hermie .

javadog
27-12-10, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=grub;1068623004From what i understand about biology, the sex of a seed, (and any living creature) is determined at conception and there's nothing we can do to change that.[/QUOTE]

reptiles sex is determined by enviromental conditions

Grub
27-12-10, 06:23 PM
reptiles sex is determined by enviromental conditions

This is true mate yes, there is always an exception to every rule, in some reptiles the sex determination can be governed by environmental factors... snails can start out male and become female if situations warrant, as can some fish, and the duck-billed Platypus completely throws a spanner in the works in many ways, but in general the sex of most living things is decided at conception.

Stealthgrower
27-12-10, 06:39 PM
the only way's i know to get fem seed's are either hermieing a female so she produce's seed's, this way can make your seeds prone to hermie.
or there is a feed you can give to known female plants a week or so before flowering to make her produce pollen sack's. This is the method I want to have a go at.

In short, your seed allready has the genes inside so no matter what you do to it it wont change sex, only become a hermafrodite.

wert
27-12-10, 07:08 PM
how i see it.
the sex of the plant is determined by the x and y chromosome.
if you produce fem seeds ,there should be no males,there is no y chromosome in the mix.
organisms that have the ability to change sex due to enviromental factors are in fact hermaphrodites that will have one sex more dominant than the other but the abilty to change.there are no true hermaphrodites in cannabis only a survival trait which gives the appearence of male parts but are actually full of female pollen.
more info here
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?23996-hemaphrodites-in-cannabis
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?22804-of-interest-to-breeders
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?9192-fem-seeds

WastedYouth
27-12-10, 08:06 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied, general consensus is bullshit, i thought as much. cheers

katy
14-01-11, 05:44 PM
would it make any difference if you touched your mums fanny at birth and it had a chemical on it ?

sex is not actually determined at conception, all fetuses start out as female, and they are decided a little later on when, if a y chromosone is introduced,it will be male, hence male nipples !

wert
14-01-11, 07:35 PM
touch my mums fanny and i'll kill ya.........................

sweet tooth
14-01-11, 07:39 PM
i think your fellow grower is talking bubbles there m8 i was told the way to get fem seeds is to let your plants go way past there finishing dates so the female produces male pollen sacks and pollenates itself then they turn out 99.9% and then he went on saying there could even be problems further down the generation line because they pollinated themselves

wert
14-01-11, 07:45 PM
i think your fellow grower is talking bubbles there m8 i was told the way to get fem seeds is to let your plants go way past there finishing dates so the female produces male pollen sacks and pollenates itself then they turn out 99.9% and then he went on saying there could even be problems further down the generation line because they pollinated themselves

thats what soma does and it sounds ok but what if it does not produce pollen sacks ?.......they do not all definately hermie because we would like them to.

Naxx
14-01-11, 08:38 PM
Either way I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to put bleach anywhere near my seeds!

Icon
14-01-11, 09:01 PM
For ages now people have been talking about ways to encourage seeds to become female, usually by introducing the seed to various chemicals.
From what i understand about biology, the sex of a seed, (and any living creature) is determined at conception and there's nothing we can do to change that. The same as we can't alter the sex of a human baby after conception.

The only way to guarantee female seeds is to feminize them.

If i recall my biology correctly the sex of a human embryo is not decided until approximately 48 days AFTER conception
X & Y Chromosomes and all that

Azerbanphal
14-01-11, 09:35 PM
prolly only happens if it touches Arjan's ballsweat and nob-cheese like he smears on his seeds with all his love and best wishes to his customers.