PDA

View Full Version : What todo with these cuttings?

greenlife
13-01-11, 06:30 PM
Hi all Ive got 8 cuttings in my heated prop under a 20w household bulb and 2 of them are now showing alot of roots Im well chuffed there me first ever cuttings to show roots:)Now what should I do cus I thought that now there showing roots I should open up the vents abit and let them breath so they can start adjusting to life outside the prop.The only thing is ive still got 6 cuttings in there that aint showed any roots yet and I need to keep the humidity high for them.So if I open the vents they are gona suffer.What would be the best thing todo with the cuttings that have already got roots? Ive got a 125w blue cfl here should I get them out and put them under that or would that be to much of a shock for them just taken them out before they have chance to adjust.If anyone can help ide really appreciate it as I dont want to loose me first ever cuttings.cheers.greenlife

alwaystoned_1
13-01-11, 06:34 PM
open the vents pal the others shouldn't be far off showing roots aswell it wont harm hardening them off

greenlife
13-01-11, 06:52 PM
cheers mate thats what ile do how long should I leave them in prop before getting under cfl on 18-6?

greenlife
16-01-11, 06:38 PM
right after 2 days I took the cuttings which had loads of roots out of the prop and put them about 6 inch under the 125w blue cfl.I have been spraying them with water with abit of formulex in it and they are just drying up and dieing. Im gutted ive only got one left which was the biggest one and that dont look to healthy now.What ami doing wrong can somebody please help

GrassHopper
16-01-11, 06:47 PM
What medium are they in? Maybe you got em too close to the light too soon. I've done it myself numerous times. Now I always put new cuttings a few feet away from the light at first, even under CFL. then gradually move it closer n closer. CFLs can get give out some heat depending how you got em set up n that.

greenlife
16-01-11, 07:40 PM
Cheers GrassHopper well they rooted in jiffy 7 pellets I then put them in jiffy coir pots with john innes #1 and perlite they then went 6 inch under the cfl which is in a powerplant sunmate reflector.I dont know why but they dry out real quick.What do you think I should do?Should I move the reflector alot higher up cus its like you said even though its a 125w cfl it still pushes out abit of heat and maybe change the soil cus I dont think it holds water to well but what do I know this is all new to me so any help is appreciated

katy
17-01-11, 01:16 AM
pots with john innes #1

that's your problem mate, JI #1 is for transplanting from seedling to veg, it has too many nutes in it, you fried them by nitrogen

use JI seed for two weeks, pot up into #1, next time #2, just before 12/12,#3

greenlife
17-01-11, 11:42 AM
Nice one Katy will get the JI seed hopefully that should make a difference I just thought the JI #1 was for starting off with did'nt know they did a seed version.thanks again

marmalade dreams
17-01-11, 11:51 AM
I don't think it is the soil that's too hot, greenlife. JI1 isn't that rich at all and once your cuts have produced their own roots, they are the same genetic age as the original mother plant was and therefore more able to handle a stronger soil.

It may be that the coir pots are drying out too quickly and sapping the moisture from the soil. What sized pots are they in?

Can you get a pic up?

Up_in_smoke
17-01-11, 12:10 PM
I agree with Marmalade here. Once my cuttings are rooted, they perform just like their mothers really. Can have them nice and close to the lights although I do have them further away at first but this is due to me needing to light the whole room up and not just them.
Pretty much start feeding em vegging nutes straight away too and have no problems.

Just noticed just before I pressed post reply though.
You're continuing foliar feed? That may be where the issue is mate, after they've rooted, they don't need to be fed by the leaves anymore, thats when they have no roots.
Sounds like you aren't actually feeding them, once they have roots, feed by the roots mate (i.e. a normal water the plants as you would a normal soil plant)

greenlife
17-01-11, 12:14 PM
Hi marmalade dreams cheers for the reply Im still struggling with putting pics up at the mo.The cuttings are in 3 inch coir pots and the soil does dry out very quickly I seem tobe watering them all the time so perhaps it is the coir pots sucking the water from the soil.I have some smaller 2 inch plastic pots here do you think I should swop over and use them?

marmalade dreams
17-01-11, 12:26 PM
2 inches doesn't sound very big at all? Are you sure?

I think repotting into larger plastic pots would be better, yes..... give them a water in, then stop spraying the leaves. You want the roots to go looking for their own water and nutes in the soil, thus giving you a healthier root system.

All the best!

edit: have you read this thread (https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?8630-THCtalk-Gallery-And-Uploading-Pictures!) on posting pictures?

greenlife
17-01-11, 03:16 PM
well ive reptted the cutting I had left into a bigger plastic pot give it a watering and moved the cfl up abit hopefully this sorts out my problems.With abit of luck I should'nt loose to many cuttings from now on.thanks to everyone for there help

GrassHopper
22-01-11, 03:42 PM
How they looking now Greenlife? sorry for the delayed response, been a bit of a mad week. Marmalade Dreams is right, those coir pots don't hold moisture very well at all. Hope you got it all sorted matey!

greenlife
22-01-11, 07:56 PM
nice one grasshopper I did loose afew more but I think they were to far gone before I changed them into the plastic pots the ones that did survive the change over are doing really well now mate.I think those coir pots was the main reason for the soil drying out so quickly so I wont be using them again.cheers for your input mate it def helped solve me problem