PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Plant Techniques

TheRealFeanor
30-01-11, 10:18 PM
Greetings THCTalkers!

I'm thinking about giving CO2 to my plant at the beginning of the flowering stage.

Please advise me on my intended approach, as to whether it is feasible or foolhardy.

Basically, I was going to by a CO2 canister from a gas bottle shop. When my flowering lights come on, I intend to simply blast the plant - after switching off the fans - with the CO2 and then turn the fans back on after 10 mins. I was going to repeat it 15 minutes before lights out.

I am aware how fast CO2 flies out if a canister having worked with it in a bar before.

What are the fundamental flaws of this approach other than not being able to precisely measure the amount of CO2 given?

Many thanks,

T.R.F.

popefull27
05-02-11, 07:06 AM
Ive never used artifical co2 but it seems like it would work, and certainly wouldnt hurt, but it just seems like overkill to do it as soon as lights are on, and before they go off, I would say when the lights first turn on is all youi need, if you want a cheaper route you could do what I do, and just smoke in your growroom, and if your not smoking just being in the room helps with co2, but then again you might have a larger setup then me. It also brings another question which is how much co2 does marijuana even take in, Ive always wondered this and nobodys been able to answer.

TheRealFeanor
05-02-11, 07:51 AM
Thank you for your input!

I will buy a bottle today.

T.R.F.

BioShock
14-02-11, 10:23 PM
if its pure co2 then the levels will be way too high, then quickly back to normal. theres no point in using it without control imo. i use 1400ppm through my diary and to conclude i think i will just use it for flower next grow.....

TheRealFeanor
15-02-11, 06:17 PM
Point taken.

Without control, the results I get could be a result of or despite my actions.

T.R.F.

bodge
16-03-11, 09:41 PM
just be careful with the CO2 ; not only does the gas come out very fast, as it comes out it is very cold - any metal parts like the valve/regulator etc that are in contact with the gas as it comes out will get cold enough for your skin to stick to very quickly... best to use thick gloves...

dont blast the plant directly, and be careful not to get any on your lamps/bulbs as they could go bang...

i have a small grow space (0.7m x 1.2m) and i use an emergency tyre inflator valve & the 16g threaded CO2 cartridges - 'cos its a small room one will last 2 or 3 days giving it in short blasts every 3 or 4 hours ; i've found it gives me thicker bushier plants, a 20-25% increase in yield, and it shortens the veg & flowering by about a week each...

best of luck,

Bodge.

TheRealFeanor
16-03-11, 09:53 PM
just be careful with the CO2 ; not only does the gas come out very fast, as it comes out it is very cold - any metal parts like the valve/regulator etc that are in contact with the gas as it comes out will get cold enough for your skin to stick to very quickly... best to use thick gloves...

dont blast the plant directly, and be careful not to get any on your lamps/bulbs as they could go bang...

i have a small grow space (0.7m x 1.2m) and i use an emergency tyre inflator valve & the 16g threaded CO2 cartridges - 'cos its a small room one will last 2 or 3 days giving it in short blasts every 3 or 4 hours ; i've found it gives me thicker bushier plants, a 20-25% increase in yield, and it shortens the veg & flowering by about a week each...

best of luck,

Bodge.

Cheers bodge!

I'll have a look on fleabay for the parts you mentioned.

Thank you once again!

T.R.F.

TheRealFeanor
16-03-11, 10:10 PM
Sorry to bother you bodge but I've seen a number of emergency tyre inflator valves and I know feck all about cars and the type I'd need for the canister.

Is there any chance you provide me with a link to the type of inflator I need for the 16g threaded CO2 canisters.

Many thanks,

T.R.F.

bodge
16-03-11, 10:16 PM
i've read posts about using fizzy bottled water which will get CO2 to the roots ; i'm going to try the same type of technique using CO2 tablets for aquarium plants in the feed water - should give it a higher CO2 content than the bottled water. the CO2 stays active in the water for about 4 hours, so i'll try a tablet (or piece of one) in the feed just before i water them...

i have a post in the Stealth & Small Grows section, & i plan to put up new pics every 3 days or so ; there are 5 plants (Auto-flowering Low Widows) , so i'll try the tablets on 2 of them & keep on as normal with the other 3 for comparison - its trial and error, but it all adds to the 'community knowledge'...

Bodge.

(Bodge came from Artful Bodger, which someone called me in work decades ago - i took it as a compliment...)

bodge
16-03-11, 10:19 PM
if you PM me your email address i'll send you item numbers & a picture of what i'm using (dont worry, i'll not abuse it...)

Bodge.

TheRealFeanor
16-03-11, 10:41 PM
Cheers bodge!

I have an unusual and, well I think, amusig email address so don't be alarmed!

T.R.F.

bodge
16-03-11, 10:54 PM
here's the links ;

valve - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140522735132&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

CO2 carts - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230435267016&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

i cant for the life of me get the hang of adding pictures to replies - i'll put them in my album

Bodge's Auto Low Widows

i use the valve stem cut out of an old bicycle inner tube with the core removed & a bit of clear tubing over it - it just screws into the inflator to give it a bit of a nozzle... using this type of inflator means you can turn it on & off once cartridge is in, + you can adjust the flow. the black foam tube comes with the valve to slip over the carts 'cos they get so cold so quick...

i did have a larger CO2 bottle fitted with a timer & a solenoid valve (aquarium kit) , but found the small valve handier & it worked just as well...

Bodge.

(apologies if i'm not supposed to post links, i'm new to the site - anyone wanting more info can PM me...)

TheRealFeanor
16-03-11, 10:56 PM
Again, many thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed response: 'tis much appreciated!

Once I've got the bits and bobs, I may be contacting you again - ha ha!

T.R.F.

bodge
16-03-11, 11:30 PM
no problem - only too glad to be of help...

https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/2110/medium/2242.JPG (https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/69068/title/co2-valve/cat/2110)

Bodge.

bodge
16-03-11, 11:44 PM
i've read that Cannabis plants on average like about 1200 - 1500 PPM of CO2 , while average levels in air are about 900 - 1000 PPM , so it does'nt need too much to bring it up tho it does have great benefits if your other factors (lights, feed, etc) are good...

meters for measuring CO2 in air are hideously expensive, so i've been doing it by trial & error for the last 5 or 6 grows ; i've found a short squirt round the plants when the lights come on, then another 2 or 3 times during the light period does the job... also remember if you have fans running at timed periods to add the gas just after they go off, not during or else it will be drawn out quickly & will just be a waste...

Bogde.

jumpon
08-06-14, 11:45 PM
Co2 is about 350 ppm outside.

gohtee
27-06-14, 04:18 PM
just an FYI about carbonated water, roots don't use co2, they use oxygen. the leaves absorb co2 so you would only be hurting your plant. probably wouldn't hurt any in germination though

D Fever
28-07-14, 06:05 PM
To the op although C02 can increase your crop drastically one much understand that C02 is a silent killer so if you have family pets .. kids, might be wise to re consider would hate ??explaining the cops how your kid or who ever died,,, Cause you were more concerned about something you read on the interent that c02 will make me lots of weed

You have to ask your self few things how much experience do i have , is my room sealed,,, can i control temps ??? cause when running c02 temps can hit extreme hot so you got good AC ????? to keep her below 90 's ?? out of curiosity what size is your room ???
When running Co2 your not going to be able to turn on fans . shut off c02 do anything when the c02 is dispersed you plan on running in there holding your breath ?????
and when would you know its safe to go into room see where i am getting at here son

So lets break this down for you the right way and most importantly the safe way.
we want to here back from you hahaha not here about you on the news Some bloody block died from c02 . And maybe vere you off to some other routes of co2 enrichment in your garden

C02 bottle
pressure regulator
Flow control valve
The pressure regulator takes the pressure from your tank which can be over 1200 psi and steps it down to 50 - 100 psi where your flow control valve can handle
The Flow control is where you adjust how many CFH of c02 is released into your room

Laser Tubing - is attached to the flow control valve this tubing has holes in it so c02 is evenly dispersed As c02 is a heavy gas you need to disperse it above plants with plenty of
circulation Fans blowing below canopy as well as above now with all this in place
how do you get c02 levels up in room and stay constant
Where do you plug in the solenoid well of course not directly into a wall but into a c02 controller which will sniff the the room also telling the controller to stop pumping c02 at your levels you wanted

So in reality its going to be pretty big start up fee expect to spend for decent set up close to 1000 bucks and don't forget AC unit as well
So if you can honestly control room temps then i say give it a try just don't kill anyone

or you can google c02 pails or buy lots of yeast and sugar