PDA

View Full Version : When To Flip?

BigJimmy
31-01-11, 10:42 AM
I think it looks like it's getting towards that special time :D

I'm not sure whether to flip them at the res change (thursday), or to let them run another week. I have 2 plants under the screen, which is 10inches above the buckets and is curved, it rises up over 8 inches to the edges. The plants are Ice Creams, so 60/40 Indica/Sativa. I'm expecting a decent stretch, I know the screen isn't full yet, but the plants are big now, and some of the branches are getting very close to the edges.

What do you reckon? 3 days or 10 days?
https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/1978/medium/When.jpg (https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/65402/title/when/cat/1978)

They've just had a major haircut this morning, so are looking a little sparse in places. Every time I take a leaf off, a budsite seems to appear there the next day. I know it sounds crazy, but they love it.

Jimmy

CockRoach
31-01-11, 10:43 AM
least another week...

Goodbuddy
31-01-11, 10:46 AM
Give em another week and get that screen filled some more for me:) :) :)

Br4d
31-01-11, 10:52 AM
i would say how ever long it takes to fill at least 60 -70% of screen ?

BigJimmy
31-01-11, 10:53 AM
I knew you were gonna say that. Fucks sake :(

I've grown one of the main branches directly towards the wall, and it's pretty much run out of space. I'm gonna have to try and redirect it or something. To be honest, and in my defence this is my first scrog attempt, I've not really positioned things too well. I'm either going to have to take the screen off, put things where I want them, then put it back on or struggle to move them around with everything in place.

What a twat.

Cheers chaps

Jimmy

Br4d
31-01-11, 10:54 AM
how rude , forgot to say you have a beautiful looking setup there , nice n tidy , gd luck with this grow

BigJimmy
31-01-11, 10:56 AM
Haircut too...

https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/1978/medium/Below_Jan28_.jpg (https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/65194/title/below-jan28-/cat/1978)

CockRoach
31-01-11, 11:03 AM
just bend the branch jim? when i say bend, i mean bend and if it splits it splits *shrugs shoulders* i reckon you worst case is you split it and its just about recovered in time for flippage leaving time for the rest to fill out.

Goodbuddy
31-01-11, 11:04 AM
I knew you were gonna say that. Fucks sake :(

I've grown one of the main branches directly towards the wall, and it's pretty much run out of space. I'm gonna have to try and redirect it or something. To be honest, and in my defence this is my first scrog attempt, I've not really positioned things too well. I'm either going to have to take the screen off, put things where I want them, then put it back on or struggle to move them around with everything in place.

What a twat.

Cheers chaps

Jimmy

Ha ha ha, get yourself under that screen and spread out those branches, get her trained, she might not look too happy for a day or two but will soon bounce back matey :)

BTW looking nice and tidy as usual :)

Denzil
31-01-11, 11:23 PM
Ha ha ha, get yourself under that screen and spread out those branches, get her trained, she might not look too happy for a day or two but will soon bounce back matey :)

BTW looking nice and tidy as usual :)

Don't worry, I did much worse. I decided to train a 3 foot plant into a scrog 2 weeks in to flower. The main stem did split, but it recovered and I went on to get a harvest. So yours may survive.

I'm interested in knowing how you are going to do your res change, cos I have bubblers and want a scrog next time. Will you be draining by the pipe, then filling up through the little hole in the lid (if yours has one) or watering through the pebbles. PH and EC testing will be a bit of pain I imagine.

Sorry to go off topic. But yea, at least give it another 1-2 weeks to fill the screen.

BigJimmy
31-01-11, 11:29 PM
I'm interested in knowing how you are going to do your res change, cos I have bubblers and want a scrog next time. Will you be draining by the pipe, then filling up through the little hole in the lid (if yours has one) or watering through the pebbles. PH and EC testing will be a bit of pain I imagine.

The 2 bubblers are part of a recirculating system. I have a seperate resevoir at the front of the tent (with a tap on) that I use to do the res change and check EC/pH. This resevoir (you can see it in the top pic, with the mylar on it) holds about 30 litres, and contains a pump that feeds water into the top of the bubblers (you can see the feed pipes on the 2nd pic). The water then flows back to the control res via return pipes at the bottom. Once in place, the buckets/plants never move for the entire grow.

Jimmy

Denzil
31-01-11, 11:41 PM
The 2 bubblers are part of a recirculating system. I have a seperate resevoir at the front of the tent (with a tap on) that I use to do the res change and check EC/pH. This resevoir (you can see it in the top pic, with the mylar on it) holds about 30 litres, and contains a pump that feeds water into the top of the bubblers (you can see the feed pipes on the 2nd pic). The water then flows back to the control res via return pipes at the bottom. Once in place, the buckets/plants never move for the entire grow.

Jimmy

Sorry, I didn't see the rez. Recirculating dwc is the way forward, and controlling more buckets via one rez is much easier. goes very well with a scrog. Very nice set up you have got there!

BigJimmy
06-02-11, 10:53 AM
Well boys and girls, I waited a week......and here we are

https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/1978/medium/Screen_Feb6_.jpg (https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/65735/title/screen-feb6-/cat/1978)

What do you reckon? More? Soon? Now? Another bastard week?

Jimmy

Goodbuddy
06-02-11, 11:10 AM
Tough call, I would be tempted to flip now and use the 2-3wks flowering stretch to fill out the remaining area :)

BigJimmy
06-02-11, 11:16 AM
That's what I was thinking, but I want to be sure to get some of the stretching done above the screen

Goodbuddy
06-02-11, 11:21 AM
Should be ok, the branches will grow/train outwards and each of the bud sites should grow upwards as opposed to joining up along the branch :)

Feel for you fella, it's like waiting for that ideal time to harvest :(

Icon
06-02-11, 11:51 AM
FFs Stop Moaning Man. Patience is the key

Best thing to do is get Flip to look at it but i think he will say the same that its a judgement call and you will only know better for next time?

I have scrogged a full Sativa and was at 75% filled b4 i flipped but it was a bigger screen so would take more filling. It was Hydro not soil and I was happy with the yield, I dont have enough scrog grows to be exact but i would let yours get to min 70% to get a good idea.

Because its your 1st scrog then you can go early and trade a bit of yield for the fact its your 1st grow so invaluable learning curve ready for next grow which you can take longer on if you wish as you will have some bud to see you through it and then maybe you will chill?

Just looking at yours atm and its realistically about 30-40% it may look like more but if you split the screen into four equal squares then you will see about a quarter of each square is filled.

The good news is that it will be growing fast now so may be just a few days and it will be up there.

Personally you seem to be doing everything right so why not just keep with it and reap the rewards?

CockRoach
06-02-11, 11:51 AM
give it a few more days jim - youll only end up regretting it if you flip now imo

Br4d
06-02-11, 11:53 AM
fools rush in ,
things come to those who wait

BigJimmy
06-02-11, 11:57 AM
:D

I'm perfectly happy to wait, I've still got 3 or 4oz of white widow left from my last grow, so I'm in no rush. I'd just rather use your experience than my (frankly, guessed) judgement. I'll post another pic up on thursday, as it's res change day and I'll be updating the diary anyway.

Cheers for looking chap

Jimmy

CockRoach
06-02-11, 12:00 PM
Aim for this
https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/1658/bigjims_screen.jpg (https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/65738/title/bigjims-screen/cat/1658)

flip
06-02-11, 12:51 PM
Hi mate...some valuable comments there...
70% sounds good,as an over filled net is better than an under filled one.

Sit tight for a while longer dude.
You'll do okay.

Feel free to message me or post in my diary.I'm often a little hesitant to advise outside of my diaries cos my growing knowledge is abit limited but where someone is growing the same method,i'm happy to assist.
Atb mate and happy growing.

Road_Runner
06-02-11, 01:37 PM
Just looking at yours atm and its realistically about 30-40% it may look like more but if you split the screen into four equal squares then you will see about a quarter of each square is filled.

This is good

BigJimmy
10-02-11, 01:09 PM
Today's pic

https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/1978/medium/Screen_Feb10_.jpg (https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66037/title/screen-feb10-/cat/1978)

Jimmy

flip
11-02-11, 09:58 AM
Hi Jimmy,
Looks to be a good 50% there now.Not too much further mate.

How long ya been veggin for to get this far?

BigJimmy
11-02-11, 10:05 AM
Cheers flip.

The two seeds were germinated on the 9th december, so they're roughly nine weeks old. Because of the curvature of the screen, it took a week or two longer to even hit the edges of the screen.

Jimmy

flip
11-02-11, 05:20 PM
Cheers flip.

The two seeds were germinated on the 9th december, so they're roughly nine weeks old. Because of the curvature of the screen, it took a week or two longer to even hit the edges of the screen.

Jimmy
Hi Jimmy,
They've done pretty well then i recon mate.
The yield shelfs do take a while longer to veg...i used one for a IceCool grow last year,then went back to flat ones.Tried to get another one so i had a pair but could'nt get one.
Looks like you've reached the sides enough,just need abit more toward the front and back.See what it looks like after the weekend or another couple of training sessions.
Atb mate.

BigJimmy
11-02-11, 06:46 PM
I'm planning to flip on Monday I think, though I don't mind waiting longer if I'm not happy with it, so I shall take your advice and see after the weekend. The first yield shelf I ordered took 2 weeks to come, and when it finally arrived it was a bastard utility shelf.....with all but one of the fittings missing, and some quite severe damage to one corner. Got a bit luckier with the 2nd order :D

All of this screen-filling business might have been a waste of time anyway, having a bit of an issue with something else too, and I'll be scrapping this grow if I can't get it sorted soon.

Cheers chap.

Jimmy

flip
11-02-11, 08:56 PM
Hi mate.

What's the new problem?Sounds abit serious if ya thinkin of scrappin it!

BigJimmy
11-02-11, 09:34 PM
Water circulation is the problem, or lack thereof :(

flip
11-02-11, 11:49 PM
Water circulation is the problem, or lack thereof :(

Sorry to hear you got probs mate.
Is it the system?
Hope you get things sorted...lookin good from ere!

BigJimmy
12-02-11, 12:38 AM
One of the buckets has stopped flowing water back to the control res. Still problem solving....

flip
12-02-11, 11:57 AM
One of the buckets has stopped flowing water back to the control res. Still problem solving....

Best of luck with it mate...hopefully you'll get back on track.

BigJimmy
12-02-11, 12:32 PM
All up and running now after a stressful 5 or 6 hours last night. Had to take the screen off, then drain, dismantle and rebuild the entire system. Not much fun, but it's all done now. I've got the screen back on, but I've got some serious training/pruning to do now. I was gutted to have to take it off, I've spent so many hours getting things the way I want them in there, and I had to undo it all in 30 seconds.

Can't be helped I suppose....back to work

Jimmy

BigJimmy
13-02-11, 12:37 PM
Will be flipped on tuesday :D

BigJimmy
14-02-11, 11:00 AM
Well, probably. I'm happy with the sides and the back now, just not 100% on the front.

https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/1978/medium/Screen_Feb14_.jpg (https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66373/title/screen-feb14-/cat/1978)

BigJimmy
14-02-11, 11:03 AM
The plant on the right is far smaller than the plant on the left, and has been from the start. This, combined with me twatting about and training her around the pipe, led me to expect that her half would be slightly less full. I'm not excpecting her to fill her front corner, nor am I going to wait for her to. I'm just wondering now if the screen in general could do with a few more days, or if my plans to flip tomorrow should be ok?

Any help much appreciated.

Jimmy

high riser
15-02-11, 12:56 AM
Hi jimmy judging by the stretch on the ice cream im growing recon you could flip and have screen filled with a bit left for buds to grow.
omha.
Peace