PDA

View Full Version : lights

daveyboy
05-02-11, 07:56 PM
are they dual spectrum bulbs as good as hps ??????????

Denzil
05-02-11, 10:22 PM
Depends what you wanna use it for. If you want to use it for vegging and flowering, then yes. But an MH would be much better for vegging and an HPS would be much better for flowering but that means having to buy seperate bulbs an a ballast that supports the two.

Are you referring to a CFL dual spectrum or an HID dual spectrum bulb.

daveyboy
06-02-11, 06:58 PM
not too sure i've been eyeing up the secret jarden drk street tent kit it comes with a dual spec bulb am just starting up and want to keep it basic so a bulb that does both is good does anyone know if these set ups are ok my m8s been saying if i buy anything to buy it from a magazine he gets delivered i was looking through it and they tent kits were 4 or 5 hundred quid fuck that there on ebay for half that price he says it will be poor quality kit but it looks fine to me so does anyone know if this stuff is any good???

Icon
06-02-11, 07:40 PM
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?68-Light-chart-s

There should be enough info on there to help explain it for you

Denzil
06-02-11, 07:56 PM
Dark Rooms are very good tents.

He's right your mate is. You can get the same kit from Greens Horticulture, but it is like 200 quid more. But the kit you will buy on ebay is a low quality tent, low quality fans (usually not sufficient sized for the lights they include), a budget carbon filter that fits your fan. So if you buy this. You are gonna suffer high temps most likely, so then you will go out and spend 70 quid on a decent fan for your light, plus ducting, then you're gonna need a carbon filter which is matched for the bigger extraction fan, you will also need a contactor for the ballast and a timer thats roughly 200 quid right there. Or you could just spend that extra 200 on the kit from Greens where you will have the right things from the start, everything you need to grow including the pots and nutrients, sometimes they included those. Plus with Greens they tell you what time when they are gonna deliver, they deliver the following day and excellent customer service.

BTW I don't work for Greens or anything, I just can't rate them highly enough

Icon
06-02-11, 09:50 PM
The unfortunate thing is that its all really dead cheap if you know what your doing but its so difficult to know what your doing until you have done it.
Its the typical catch 22 and what suits one ideally may not suit you so again its just impossible to give the best advice.
If you can be bothered then you can set up grows for a few quid
a Contacter costing £100 can be made for £35
Tents I would build the room my self with timber and whiteout/mylar with velcro and staples.
It also depends on how often your growing some people limit themselves to certain times of year for example loft growers may not grow for 3 or 4 months that it may snow.

You would be best to pick your mates brains if you can and see if you can sort it your self.
If you are into diy then you really will be able to do it on a shoe string if you wish but never cut costs where safety or plant welfare is concerned

relto
06-02-11, 10:08 PM
all of the above..do not i say do not buy a kit of ebay....i did as a first grower...and it cost me more in the long run....buget filters are crap ,i had to buy a rhino filter extar 50 quid on top ect...i would say buy ya tent and work ya way up...so now i got a budget filter never used ready to put in the bin....my kit cost over 200 quid...the tent by its self would be about 70 quid...then buy wot u need for your tent..me fan cost 60 quid...so wot i`m trying to say is buy ya tent...then ya decent filters /fans...it`ll be cheaper in the long run

Icon
06-02-11, 10:36 PM
Also you can buy stuff on line that you can check out in hydro shops they always put a premium on to some extent so lights are cheaper from electrical wholesalers etc etc
ducting can be bought on line
The tent at £70 is ok but you can make a custom one twice the size for half the price with access where you need it. Again at 1st this seems daunting but it really is pissball if yer that way inclined.
ductape the joints if you get a tent as the plastic brackets can become brittle and snap

daveyboy
06-02-11, 11:41 PM
well cheers stopped in my tracks again lol but seriosly thanks guys ,saw ads on gumtree people selling grow stuff sounds like the same stuff in they kits obviosly a load of pish and there wanting ridd. back to my original plan i think,convert one of my cuboards get a good cf and i think now im gona go metal halide after reading a wee sciencey bit about lights ... just gona take a while longer getting set up ma heeds bursting wi awe this information overload???????????????