PDA

View Full Version : Am I going overkill on the extraction

Up_in_smoke
09-02-11, 10:50 AM
Hi guys

Just about to move house and get a new setup going at my new house.
I will have either a 1M or 1.2M tent. Probably 2M tall, worst case 1.8M.
Going to be putting a parabolic 600W hps in there.

Originally I was gonna go with a 6" extraction and a 4" intake (I already have the intake).
However looking at Greens, I reckon 5" would do it so wanted to check as the jump in price from 5 to 6" is about £100 so if I can do with 5 then I will.

Basically, their 5" is rated at 365m3. But their 6" is rated at 725m3!!!!!
I think 725m3 sounds like overkill for my setup but I've read around with a 600 people like to go 6".

Oh yeah, and as for brand, don't worry, it WILL be a Ruck and the filter WILL be a Rhino. So whats reckon, 5" ok for me?

Master Poet
09-02-11, 10:54 AM
Hi guys

Just about to move house and get a new setup going at my new house.
I will have either a 1M or 1.2M tent. Probably 2M tall, worst case 1.8M.
Going to be putting a parabolic 600W hps in there.

Originally I was gonna go with a 6" extraction and a 4" intake (I already have the intake).
However looking at Greens, I reckon 5" would do it so wanted to check as the jump in price from 5 to 6" is about £100 so if I can do with 5 then I will.

Basically, their 5" is rated at 365m3. But their 6" is rated at 725m3!!!!!
I think 725m3 sounds like overkill for my setup but I've read around with a 600 people like to go 6".

Oh yeah, and as for brand, don't worry, it WILL be a Ruck and the filter WILL be a Rhino. So whats reckon, 5" ok for me?

I have been toying with the same idea UiS, I have a 1x1x2m tent and have decided on the 5" fan and filter although I'm only running a 400W but I will be getting an aircooled reflector to go with it. I would say that the 5" would be fine.

alwaystoned_1
09-02-11, 10:56 AM
you have to factor when you add a carbon filter the amount of air the fan moves drops considerably

Up_in_smoke
09-02-11, 11:32 AM
Oh I don't doubt that.
Basically at the mo I have a 4" 250m3, and even with the filter. That bad boy has some suck on it. And 90% of the time, my fan is running at number 6 on my speed controller which is about 50-75% speed. The groom is a lot smaller though aswell.

Thanks Poet, I'm gonna bite the bullet and go with it. Worst case, its too small and I'll go back and spend a 1r more. I'll just make sure with the grow shop first

cannamancan
09-02-11, 01:22 PM
Is getting a 6" and a fan controller an option because in the summer you will struggle with the heat with a 5" but in the winter a 6" might be to much ?

Up_in_smoke
09-02-11, 01:35 PM
Is getting a 6" and a fan controller an option because in the summer you will struggle with the heat with a 5" but in the winter a 6" might be to much ?

Well I have a controller already so it will definately be ran on one.
Hmmm, bugger, really didn't want to spend £100 extra.
How about the low powered 6", that is rated at around 4-500m3 which seems more normal, the jump from 5 to 6 on greens seems a massive jump compared to the jump from 4 to 5.

Hmmm, this is a bugger to decide on. I may end up getting a 5 for now and then upgrading to a 6 in the summer. Have got a bit of cash now, but not quite that extra £100.

Icon
09-02-11, 01:52 PM
If you really dont want to spend it then dont
It should be ok and if worst comes to worst its a bit of temps management in the hottest days of summer but if you operate your lights on at night then should be no issues at all

Road_Runner
09-02-11, 02:38 PM
With 600w, I'd always gor for 6" out and 5" in or 6" & 6" if you've got a fan controller

In summer, a 5" is going to struggle...

Up_in_smoke
09-02-11, 03:17 PM
Sod it, you naysayers scared me enough, lol. I would've answered the same for anyone else. Just trying to cut corners, fuck it. Borrowed an extra £100, 6" here I come :D:D:D:D

Road_Runner
09-02-11, 05:27 PM
Good lad, you know it makes sense!