PDA

View Full Version : Cuttings

jetlag
10-02-11, 04:30 PM
Hi,
i have tried to take cuttings 3 times now and failed.
I have just been out and bought a heated prop, canadian express regen-a-root and using canna a+b nutes in rockwool.

is it quater strength for nutes and regen-a-root?
thanks

Master Poet
10-02-11, 04:41 PM
Why are you feeding cuttings?

You need to take the cut and trim the end at about a 45 degree angle, then lightly scrape the bottom round the stem and dip it into the rooting powder/gel and into the soil or cube and lightly water and spray twice a day (morning/evening). Place in the heated prop with the top vents on the lid closed and then under the light. They will take anything from 5-10 days to root usually.

jetlag
10-02-11, 04:46 PM
thanks mate, first time i tried taking cuttings, was feeding cos they're in rockwool and hence there are no other nutes, do they need 18 hr or 24 hr light?

karmacoma
10-02-11, 04:48 PM
canadian express regen-a-root is for root health not for rooting cuttings get something like clonex and as poet said they dont need nutes just plain water sprays untill they are rooted.

KC

Master Poet
10-02-11, 04:51 PM
thanks mate, first time i tried taking cuttings, was feeding cos they're in rockwool and hence there are no other nutes, do they need 18 hr or 24 hr light?

Only when they have rooted will you need to feed them if your in rockwoo. I put my cuts on 24/0 lighting to start then reduce to 18/6 once they are well rooted. And as said, get a small pot of clonex which is about 3-4 quid.

karmacoma
10-02-11, 04:55 PM
another common mistake is giving the cuts to much light, cuts dont need strong lighting. personally i keep mine in the prop under a 20 watt fluro on 24/0 if you're using a larger light just make sure you keep it futher away from the plants

jetlag
10-02-11, 08:00 PM
Only when they have rooted will you need to feed them if your in rockwoo. I put my cuts on 24/0 lighting to start then reduce to 18/6 once they are well rooted. And as said, get a small pot of clonex which is about 3-4 quid.

already had clonex mate have used it every time :)

another common mistake is giving the cuts to much light, cuts dont need strong lighting. personally i keep mine in the prop under a 20 watt fluro on 24/0 if you're using a larger light just make sure you keep it futher away from the plants

yeah the now heated prop is in a cardboard box with 2 purple flourescents attached to the lid of the box. the box is in the grow room which has 2 600 hps on 18/6 i already had rockwool soaked in quater strength nutes and some of that root stuff so i have some of the cuttings in those i soaked more in plain water ph 5.5 and most of them are in those.

really hope they take this time i'm not trying again i'll just grow from seed, the mothers are nearly 2ft now so i have to switch them in the next couple of days or i won't have enough room for them lol ;)

Goodbuddy
10-02-11, 08:32 PM
As above

Another thing to consider is clean and quick, use a clean new razor blade or cleaned sharp knife. I wouldn't use scissors as this has a microscopic crushing effect and crushed plants = mush. Ensure the area prepping cuts is clean. Take the cut as above and straight into a clean glass of tepid water. Then the scrape, dip in root hormone and straight into your rockwool (I use jiffy's myself) that has been pre-moistened and squeezed out. Don't transport the cuts into different atmosphere if you can as this will shock em too much, especially in the current cold weather.

Straight into propagator and under your fluorescent. Don't keep picking/poking/interfering leave em be and just don't let it completely dry out.

You don't need nutes till first roots have developed. Which can be between 1-3weeks. Even if the plants start yellowing and looking sad don't worry, give em time. They are only fucked if left to dry, given too much heat/light/water/nutes or if the stem near rock-wool starts shrinking/dying. :)