PDA

View Full Version : Rhino filters, suck or blow ?

Boo
24-02-11, 02:25 PM
Hi,

The smell from my plants is now quite noticeable in the tent (but not outside it so far) and I've ordered a Rhino 150mmx300mm filter and a Ruck fan.

I was thinking of getting an air cooled reflector but before I do that I just wanted to be sure it's OK to use the Rhino filter both ways as follows :

Filter and fan outside the tent with the fan blowing out into the room through the filter
Filter in the tent, fan outside in the room sucking air through the filter

Basically, is it OK to suck air through the filter as well as blow air through it or doesn't the air direction matter ?

I've also ordered an SMS twin fan controller based on posts I read here, any comments ?

Thanks,

Boo

Forest
24-02-11, 04:18 PM
i dont see it can mater
if you are using a cool tube you would want to blow or it gets very dirty from the carbon a pal did it both ways it worked fine
it still goes through the carbon either way
regards G

up2nogood
24-02-11, 04:22 PM
Hi,

The smell from my plants is now quite noticeable in the tent (but not outside it so far) and I've ordered a Rhino 150mmx300mm filter and a Ruck fan.

I was thinking of getting an air cooled reflector but before I do that I just wanted to be sure it's OK to use the Rhino filter both ways as follows :

Filter and fan outside the tent with the fan blowing out into the room through the filter

Basically, is it OK to suck air through the filter as well as blow air through it or doesn't the air direction matter ?

I've also ordered an SMS twin fan controller based on posts I read here, any comments ?

Thanks,

Boo

I always have it sucked throught the filter and blown out into ducting..so I have the filter inside the tent and the fan on top of the tent.I also have a cooltube that the heat is being blown out into ducting..either suck or blow is a good thing.. :)

cocogrower
24-02-11, 04:24 PM
Suck thru the filter for me, Always thought the other way is a bit.. Backwards..

Jumangi
24-02-11, 04:30 PM
Hi,

Thanks,

Boo

I've got the filter connected to the fan inside the tent venting out the room and intake connected to the window bringing in cool air , good choice with the Smscom twin fan controller it's a great bit of kit as I've got one myself , thought it wasn't working at first but after a week of getting everything right it's running like a dream keeps the temp to what you set give or take a degree :)

up2nogood
24-02-11, 04:41 PM
Suck thru the filter for me, Always thought the other way is a bit.. Backwards..

true..if you blow into the filter the smell will be going back into your tent which is what we don't want..lol

Boo
24-02-11, 08:42 PM
true..if you blow into the filter the smell will be going back into your tent which is what we don't want..lol

That would be true, but my plan was to have the filter outside the tent so it goes tent->fan->filter ;-)

Boo

Naxx
24-02-11, 08:52 PM
Just hang the fan and filter in the tent with a bit of jack chain and suck suck suck never blow!

Dont know why anyone would actually want to blow through their filter unless they had a spare one dude

alwaystoned_1
24-02-11, 09:34 PM
Always suck through a filter if you blow through it you lessen the life of the filter as dust and stuff clogs the carbon thats why filters are covered in tha white sleeve to stop as much shit getting to the carbon

Boo
24-02-11, 09:40 PM
Just hang the fan and filter in the tent with a bit of jack chain and suck suck suck never blow!

Dont know why anyone would actually want to blow through their filter unless they had a spare one dude
Basically, I want to grow pure sativa strains and need as much room as possible at the top of the tent.

Also, I want an air-cooled reflector because I already have temperature issues and it's the middle of winter here. I think it will be simpler to have the ac reflector at one end and the filter at the other with the fan in the middle. My current setup won't cope with summer temps + a 600W bulb so...

I just wanted to know if there is a reason not to blow through the filter with the filter being the last element of the chain outside the tent. I suppose any leakage would let smells into the room which would be bad.

I also want to correct my post above, I have a RVK fan on order not a Ruck.

Thanks to all for the replies,

Boo

Boo
24-02-11, 10:21 PM
Always suck through a filter if you blow through it you lessen the life of the filter as dust and stuff clogs the carbon thats why filters are covered in tha white sleeve to stop as much shit getting to the carbon

OK, thanks for the explanation, I will put the filter inside the tent and suck. It's a shame 'cos I'd hoped it would help with the noise as well but if it has to be then it has to be...

Thanks again to all who replied,

Boo

Forest
24-02-11, 11:58 PM
about blowing though the filters it make no diff to stop the dust just put a sleeve on the inside simples! blow or suck is just the same if you need to have it that way i cant see a issue

palatialregalia
25-02-11, 12:18 AM
They are terrible at least for me sucked right back through the filter.

Forest
25-02-11, 12:44 AM
make or buy a silencer (£40) they are very affective for the whooshing sound theres plenty of diy silencer threads around i made mine in 15mins with stuff i had laying around and you can stand by it and not here a sound it isnt pretty but it works great it in the diy section

regards G

alwaystoned_1
25-02-11, 08:11 AM
Its also better for your fan to suck air through a filter than blow

blowpipe
05-04-11, 05:16 PM

I thought the white sleeve was to stop loose carbon particles blowing out coz it hurts like hell when you get it in your eye.