PDA

View Full Version : Help a ventilation noob pls

Wolfcree
24-02-11, 10:06 PM
Hi, I'd say that my growing knowledge is quite good, however when it comes to ventilation i'm a total noob! Have about 10 successful grows under my belt already but they were all done in my old house where the walk in cupboard i used was well ventilated enough that I never had to bother about extraction/intake/cf etc.

I have recently built a makeshift tent in my new house but I just know I'm not going to get away with using no ventilation here, problem is that no matter how much i read on the subject (on forums and on shop sites) it just all goes over my head lol.

My space is 1.2x1.5x2.2m and i'm using a 600w HID and the old faithful 18" oscilating fan, I also have one vent in the top corner of my tent leading straight outside.
I know this vent is to be used for extraction but have no idea of the type/size of fan and carbon filter i need to use.
And as for intake i have no idea period!!

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome... thanks :)

cocogrower
24-02-11, 10:19 PM
I would go with a 6" (150mm) extraction, Run it at about half speed in winter, It should be plenty for them hot summer days.. Maybe use a passive intake in the winter but come summer I would think about getting a 4 or 5" intake

Ruck, RVK fans are best (forget TT fans).. Rhino carbon filter is a must.

Wolfcree
24-02-11, 10:42 PM
Hey thank you so much!! I just checked and my local growshop have the RVK fans for reasonable price, they have two versions of each size though.. RVK 150 A and RVK 150 L the 2nd one is a bit more expensive so I guess its somehow better. As for the Rhino filters they stock them too but not sure which one i'd need, i think either 150x300 or 150x600? any idea's on that?

For the intake would it be another RVK fan? and would I need to have it hooked up to outside, like a window or just from my room feeding into the tent?

Thanks again :) and i do apologise for being such a noob lols :stoned-smilie:

cocogrower
24-02-11, 10:44 PM
RVK 150A = Low power
RVK 150L - High power

You want the 150x300 for the low power fan and the 150x600 for the high power fan.

If you can afford it then go for the high powered but if not a 6" low power will be fine for 1 600w light, The high power would cover you in the future if you wanted to upgrade to 2 lights.

For the intake would it be another RVK fan? and would I need to have it hooked up to outside, like a window or just from my room feeding into the tent?

Yeah but make sure its smaller than the extraction fan size (taking into consideration the 20% loss in suction because of carbon filter) if you use a 6" H/P (about 700 m3/hr) extraction fan then I would opt for a 5" L/P (300 m3/hr or there about) for intake.. You need to keep a negative pressure so there is a fresh flow of air and the smell is removed.

Wolfcree
24-02-11, 10:58 PM
Well it seems you have answered all my questions much better than I ever expected and thanks to you I now know exactly what I need :)

Much appreciated ... MANY THANKS!!!

jok3r
24-02-11, 11:09 PM
Ruck, RVK fans are best (forget TT fans).. Rhino carbon filter is a must.

hi cocogrower will Rhino carbon filter work with TT 4 fan, until i get some more money for a RVK fan

cocogrower
24-02-11, 11:18 PM
Yeah it will do, Assuming you mean a 4" Rhino and a 4" TT fan, I would use passive intakes untill you get the RVK thou as with an active intake you'll probably lose negative pressure.

relto
24-02-11, 11:54 PM
sorry to hi-jack but is this me thinking rite....400 wat hps needs a 4 inch fan and filter...and a 600 watt hps needs a 6 inch fan and filter...or is it the bigger the fan and filter is the best????

cocogrower
25-02-11, 12:15 AM
sorry to hi-jack but is this me thinking rite....400 wat hps needs a 4 inch fan and filter...and a 600 watt hps needs a 6 inch fan and filter...or is it the bigger the fan and filter is the best????

You could use a 4" fan and filter for a 400w or 600w in winter but in summer it would struggle quiet badly, Ideally yes the bigger fan the better as it can always be turned down to run at 40-50% in winter when temps are easier to maintain. I think a 5" fan & filter is ideal for 400w and 6" ideal for 600w..This should be good enough to keep growing all year round if needed. In winter I have used a 5" extraction fan with a 1000w HPS and it was fine (1.2MSQ tent), Obviously wouldnt do this in summer but you get the drift.

flunk
25-02-11, 12:21 AM
You could use a 4" fan and filter for a 400w or 600w in winter but in summer it would struggle quiet badly, Ideally yes the bigger fan the better as it can always be turned down to run at 40-50% in winter when temps are easier to maintain.

I did not know you can adjust the speed , this is good to know as ime getting the ruck/rhino package from from greens....

cocogrower
25-02-11, 12:29 AM
I did not know you can adjust the speed , this is good to know as ime getting the ruck/rhino package from from greens....

Yeah you need a fan controller or a Variac, Be careful which you buy as some can make the fan hum quiet loudly, A variable transformer will not make it hum..

Greens sell a decent Variable transformer (STR Voltage stepper) for £80 Link (http://www.greenshorticulture.co.uk/Grow-room-Products-20/-Environmental-Control-236/STR-Voltage-Stepping-Fan-Speed-Controller-1298.asp)

Fantronix sell the exact same thing for £50 Link (http://www.fantronix.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.fantronix.com %2f&WD=str&PN=Silent_Fan_Speed_Controller_-_1-Phase.html%23aF_2dP12#aF_2dP12)

flunk
25-02-11, 04:20 PM
Yeah you need a fan controller or a Variac, Be careful which you buy as some can make the fan hum quiet loudly, A variable transformer will not make it hum..

Greens sell a decent Variable transformer (STR Voltage stepper) for £80 Link (http://www.greenshorticulture.co.uk/Grow-room-Products-20/-Environmental-Control-236/STR-Voltage-Stepping-Fan-Speed-Controller-1298.asp)

Fantronix sell the exact same thing for £50 Link (http://www.fantronix.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.fantronix.com %2f&WD=str&PN=Silent_Fan_Speed_Controller_-_1-Phase.html%23aF_2dP12#aF_2dP12)

Mate that fantronix site is pucker!!

pedro sanchez
25-02-11, 11:37 PM
I've got a rvk4" and 400hps in a 75cm width an depth 200cm tall growtent .humidity is going to be high in summer .at the mo it 67 at 18c .need it down in a week or 2.....shit