PDA

View Full Version : Has n e one used clay pebbles and soil together??

DrGreen
27-03-11, 06:23 PM
i use clay pebbles with my terra pro soil, as do all my mates, and always have done,

im having some problems now and have been tol dits cause of the clay in soil...
has any 1 els growin clay pebbles with there soil? or is it just me

Messerschmit
27-03-11, 06:31 PM
Not just you.... Never liked the terra pro or most other soils.. Always found them a bit on the weighty end for my liking. I prefer a cheap topsoil mixed with coir to taste with a fair amount of perlite and scentfree calcium clay kitty litter...

Grub
27-03-11, 06:44 PM
Personally, i don't see the benefit of using both clay pebbles and soil. The pebbles are taking up the space of good compost imo.
How do you get on potting up... and what do you pot-up into?more pebbles or more compost?

Sorry mate, i just don't get how using both would improve your plants...?

up2nogood
27-03-11, 06:49 PM
as grub says.get more compost in there mate...no beneficial at all..clay pellets are used in hydro..:)

cannamancan
27-03-11, 07:19 PM
I use clay pebbles , I put about 3 litres of washed pebbles in the bottom of a 20 litre pot then put soil on top , it gives space at the bottom for air flow and let's the roots breath . Plus If you water ur plant and water comes out the bottom in to the tray then everythings waterlogged and the holes in your plantpot are useless ! But if u got pebbles in the bottom that doesn't happen.
When I chop the plant and empty the pot loads of healthy roots are wrapped round the pebbles aswell thriving on the air flow.

What problems you having mate , is it ph? I don't do ph cause everything I do is organic but if you don't wash ur pebbles properly then the clay can mess up ur ph .

up2nogood
27-03-11, 07:49 PM
I use clay pebbles , I put about 3 litres of washed pebbles in the bottom of a 20 litre pot then put soil on top , it gives space at the bottom for air flow and let's the roots breath . Plus If you water ur plant and water comes out the bottom in to the tray then everythings waterlogged and the holes in your plantpot are useless ! But if u got pebbles in the bottom that doesn't happen.
When I chop the plant and empty the pot loads of healthy roots are wrapped round the pebbles aswell thriving on the air flow.

What problems you having mate , is it ph? I don't do ph cause everything I do is organic but if you don't wash ur pebbles properly then the clay can mess up ur ph .

but if you don't wash ur pebbles properly then the clay can mess up ur ph . I am with you on that one canna..lol

DrGreen
28-03-11, 09:58 AM
yeah well i washed them with water for 24hours in the bath lol, but stil goign to soil up and seper8 it a bit lol

TheCandyManCan
28-03-11, 11:58 AM
I know this is not answering your question but I like to have about 2 inches of pebbles at the bottom of the pot and then put coconut fibre on top.

cannamancan
28-03-11, 12:01 PM
whats the coconut fibre do mate ? should u not put that at top of pot ?

DrGreen
28-03-11, 12:03 PM
well when i go dowm the shop il see what i can russtle up and pics will folow

Grub
28-03-11, 12:05 PM
Pebbles at the bottom of your pot for drainage is a fair idea, but mixing the pebbles and soil together won't help a lot imo. That's what Perlite is for. :)
That said, if you use HUGE pots with a good 10-15L of compost and mix that in with some clay pebbles it wouldn't hurt i don't suppose, but sifting through the spent compost at the end in search of all the clay pebbles would do my head in. :p

cannamancan
28-03-11, 12:17 PM
i just throw em and buy new 1`s , but saying that i dont mix em in the soil either lol its only a £10r for a big sack of pebbles that have been washed already and that lasts ages .

DrGreen
28-03-11, 04:04 PM
10 quid lol ther £16 here lol and if i get on ebay for 12 then i pay postage 5 lol

but i wil siv it all out now

TheCandyManCan
28-03-11, 05:48 PM
whats the coconut fibre do mate ? should u not put that at top of pot ?

Thats what I grow in amte canna coconut fibre.

So I have about 10 litres of fibre and then about 2 inches of pebbles in the bottom of the pot.