PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Life of Mothers

Neph
30-03-11, 09:39 PM
I was in chat earlier and someone told me you can't keep a mom for too long, as eventually it'll throw out hermies off the cuttings.

I don't believe it. I've always been under the impression that as long as you keep her healthy and happy she will keep producing as long as you need her to.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

cannamancan
30-03-11, 09:47 PM
nah mate after abit she gonna want to flower so shit will start happening , why dont u use her as a mother and then after a couple months use 1 of the cuttings as a mother then u can flower the original mother off and u will prolly get loads o weed , just keep taking cuttings then use the cuttings as the mother , my mates been doing it for about 15 years withe the same strain

donnachris
30-03-11, 10:51 PM
i read somewhere in a book that soneone managed to keep a mother alive for 10 years. but like cannamancan said, i also read in a book that you should take a clone from your mother, keep her in vegetative state and eventually use her as a mother becuz shems a clone, you keep going with your same strain.
i never heard of mother throwing off hermies, and i've read a LOT of information...lol

relto
31-03-11, 01:28 AM
wish my mom would kick the bucket.....oops wrong chat

Grub
31-03-11, 01:39 AM
If looked after properly, a viable mother can be kept alive and happy for years. :)

karmacoma
31-03-11, 01:42 AM
longest i had a mother plant for was 8 ish years and had no problems at all with it.
used to keep it in a 4 inch pot and every so often take it out cut an inch of dirt/roots off all round and repot it into the same 4 inch pot, just kept it trimmed up if i wasnt taking cuttings off it and it was fine.
currently got a northern light mum thats coming up for its first year of being a mum, and her and her babies are all still doing well.

Neph
31-03-11, 07:50 AM
Thank you Karma and Grub. I always assumed as long as you took care of her and pruned her root ball you could keep her for ever, or at least more than a measly year.

Grub
31-03-11, 01:03 PM
She may be rough on them. I know my burned CD's that I have in my car start skipping quicker than the ones I leave at home. But I chalk it up to the fact I never put them in a case and toss them on each other in a cubby hole.

Ermm... i think you're answering in the wrong thread mate. :D

karmacoma
31-03-11, 01:27 PM
She may be rough on them. I know my burned CD's that I have in my car start skipping quicker than the ones I leave at home. But I chalk it up to the fact I never put them in a case and toss them on each other in a cubby hole.

bots, gotta love em!

Dam High
02-04-11, 02:52 PM
The northern lights im growing , we got it about 6 yrs ago. And the person we got it from had it for a few years before that. As above, the best thing to do when it gets too big, take a load of cuttings, pick the best one and use that as the new mother.

Ive heard loads of storys about cutting losing strength as time goes on but ive not experianced it yet.

Neph
03-04-11, 07:10 AM
I don't want to take a cutting and use it as a new mum. The plan is to eventually have a mum with different strains grafted on her.

One mum four or fives strains.

I don't even have a mum right now. It's just on my to do list when I have the space to get a mum, to have different strains on her. Cycle through the different strains as I take cuttings for a perpetual sog method. This would be my ideal setup.

Hillbilly
05-04-11, 06:00 PM
Train wreck is a Clone only strain
The original Trainwreck was supposedly 1st grown in Arcada (sic) , Calif. in the ’60′s. Story has it that there was a train wreck that summer which more or less memorialized what turned out to be a very potent and popular smoke. Sativa dominant.”

That would make it like 50 years of cloning and mothers after mothers.. I also just read there might be a problem of the GH train wreck heming late in the grow. I can tell you the Clone I got no worries of hemi's and I seen different clones that are called Train wreck that I didn't like as much as mine. ( just not the same plant..) Anyhow if it's true and the first clone was taken in the 60's then I wouldn't worry about keeping a mother around or making new mothers out of her..