PDA

View Full Version : strawberries already

dekay
08-04-11, 02:15 PM
My garden is a sun trap but even so my strawberry plants have already flowered and there is fruit growing, i remember it was early last year but not this early, i should do really well off them (they are second year plants).:)
https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/2007/medium/strawberriesalready.jpg

The Green Giant
08-04-11, 02:21 PM
nice, i love em too, but had way too many snails/slugs now i put a bowl of booze near mine for the bastards to drown in

dekay
08-04-11, 02:22 PM
They dont seem to bother the fruit so much i did really well last year despite them.:)

Forest
08-04-11, 02:23 PM
first year is never that good second is always much better

dekay
08-04-11, 02:40 PM
first year is never that good second is always much better

Yeah they are second year most of mine, i pull em up after this season and leave the firsts for next.:)

Forest
08-04-11, 04:55 PM
your going to have a good crop if this weather holds ive got some runners under cloches and you would think they are magic beans the rate of growth i think i mat get a bumper early crop this year if the weather holds, i should of put my strawberry seeds in ages ago they only went in today

Grub
08-04-11, 05:04 PM
Yea same here D', they do seem earlier than usual this year.

Btw Green Giant, to keep slugs off your plants wrap a thin piece of copper wire around your pots, (a regular piece of wire found in all electrical appliance cords).
Snails/slugs won't cross copper wire. :)

Forest
08-04-11, 05:08 PM
thats a good tip i did just see it the other day somewhere but it said around the stem i didnt think of round the pot much better idea grub cheers

WeeDz
08-04-11, 08:17 PM
me and my daughter are growing strawberrys also some potatoes my daughter loves it when me n her start planting out

we have a competition to see who can grow the biggest sun flower she always wins!

good times

Forest
08-04-11, 10:23 PM
my daughter loves it as well shes 12 y but the 15 y one hates it lol

conman
09-04-11, 06:41 PM
mine are in the same shape and they weren't looked at all winter dont know where they got there water from