PDA

View Full Version : Green house, green o matic VS Big buddha, automatic.

Gog
13-04-11, 08:25 AM
Hi,
I have posted this elsewhere before realising that there was a specific auto flower section to the forum, so I'm sorry for repeating my self but here goes;

Due to my local grow shop closing down I'm having to resort to buying my seeds from a tattoo shop, problem is they only stock green o magic and big Buddha automatic.
Although I'm not a newbie and have years of outdoor experience, I've never had to deal with any of the auto strains before.

My question is of these two which is the better strain. Bigger the better really for me, as I'm not after the stealth qualities, just stuck for options.
Any info regarding size, yeald, smell, taste and strength appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

P.s. I will not buy seeds online, due to tracabillity. I don't want my address associated with any illegal activities.

Gog
15-04-11, 07:58 PM
Oh well, looks like either no one knows or no one cares. I cant believe on a site like this no one has tried either one of these strains.

For any one interested I got 5 of each. Ive started 3 of each type (will start the other 4 in a month to stagger my cropping), germed over the last 36hrs, and have just potted them in my home made mix. So far both strains have impressed me with a 100% germ rate, as I've read these auto strains can be a bit unreliable. We'll see if all 6 pop up over the next couple of days, fingers crossed.

I'll decide at the end of my experiment which of the two strains i will select for my late summer crop. If one out performs the other by miles I'll buy 10 of the better ones, other wise I'll just do another 5 of each again. After all it's nice to have a variation to smoke.

I will do a little grow report if any one out there is interested.... Anyone?!?

tissue999
15-04-11, 11:00 PM
good luck with your grow dude!

Idontgrow
16-04-11, 08:27 AM
Everyone is interested mate. Details and pictures and your thread is a winner!

Grub
16-04-11, 08:31 AM
Judging by the seedbank info, both strains are tasty little buggers. :)

Good luck with the grow mate.

Gog
16-04-11, 12:27 PM
Hi, nice to see some interaction :)
Yeah, the strain info on the web sites looked promising but if past experience has taught me anything, it's take manufacturer's description with a pinch of salt. After all, they are trying to make a sale.

Well so far this is what has happened;
Firstly I put the 3 of each seed in to two separate shot glasses filled with water, and let them soak for about 20 hours, stiring the water after about 4 hours so that the seeds sank.
At the 20hr point all 3 buddhas where showing about 2mm of tap root, green o matics had nothing. I then transfered them all in to damp kitchen roll, placed in-between two saucers and put in the airing cupboard, maintaining segregation of strains at all times.
They sat in their dark, warm environment for about 16hrs, at which point all 6 seeds had grown a tap root of about 1cm.

They were then planted in to 3" fiber pots, using a mix I have found to be great for starting off young plants. It's made of 1part perlite, 1part John innes no2, and 1 part b&q seedling soil. The cheap seedling soil helps to dilute the nutes in the ji #2, to avoid nute burn in the young plants, and saves you from having to buy more than one type of ji for the duration of the grow, as it can be pricey. They all went back in the airing cupboard until they sprout.

12hrs later and one Buddha has broken ground, hopefully the rest will follow soon.

I plan to keep them on an upstairs windowsill until I feel they are ready for the green house. At which point they will be placed in to 7liter pots using a slightly different mix of which I will give details at the time. The use of fiber pots for the initial stage of the grow will stop the need for a propper re pot, as the root system should grow through the fiber pot and in to it's new surroundings, eliminating stress and stunted growth issues.

Well that's it for now, I will get back in a few days with a progress report and hopefully some piccys for you.

Thanks for reading :)

lil rasta
16-04-11, 06:53 PM
dude definatly the big budda's auto i have grown both and the green om atic was tasty and very long lasting but poor yield compared with the others. good luck

lightup
16-04-11, 07:32 PM
hello Gog my friend i care...if you click on the link at the bottom. i did a grow dairy last year in the summer. and big Buddha automatic is in their. it was grown outside from seed to weed. in the british weather. and boy what a lovely smoke it is. its was that good i am growning another one that is 3 weeks untill finished. come monday i get a new camera. and i will take a pic of the big Buddha automatic.that is 3 weeks away from finish. i think i got 26 grames from her last year but the grow dairy will tell you more. a.t.m my big Buddha automatic is 21 inches tall. hope this helps you.

Gog
17-04-11, 10:28 AM
Thanks lightup, just read the whole thread. Not a bad return for such a small plant. I like your methods too, my grandad grew with nothing but sheep manure he collected with a bucket from the free roaming sheep on the mountain he lived on. He taught me a lot about growing and I miss him dearly.
Any way, my grow will be organic as they always are.

I don't use a lot of the fancy weed nutes, but I do use a few. I will be starting off with small amounts of "maxicrop - original seaweed extract" which is basically a health booster and micro nute, rather than a proper NPK feed.
For veging I use "Doff - organic plant feed" works well and costs a less than biobizz grow. I know the autos don't really vege for long so they will probably only get fed this once or twice.
For flowering I use biobizz bloom, as I haven't found a cheaper alternative that works as well, I also use topmax.
I feed the seaweed extract in small doses throughout the whole life of the plant. It is great stuff, a real pick me up for struggling plants. I get 1liter bottles for about 7 quid from the garden center, and its worth every penny. Highly recommend this product.

Finally, the good news is that this morning I have all 3 green o matic and two out of three big buddhas broken ground. The Buddha that hasn't yet come up was planted a little deeper than the rest (my fault) and may still grow. Here's hoping :)

Gog
18-04-11, 07:39 AM
The 3rd Buddha's broken ground over night. So that's a 100% success rate with both strains, not bad ey?

At this very early stage I'd say the green o matics are slightly ahead in terms of growth rate, but there's a long way to go yet. Just hoping there's no hermies in the group now.

Idontgrow
18-04-11, 05:18 PM
Good news, mate. Get some pic's up when you get them in the greenhouse, im interested in seeing autos being grown outdoors. Im wondering if they stay as short as indoor grows being grown under the sun instead of closely positioned lights, and if they finish when they say they will.

THE DUDE ABIDES
18-04-11, 06:38 PM
Hi Gog, I'm going to grow a few auto's in a polytunnel this year for the first time so will keep an eye on your grow. Thanks for the tip about 'Maxicrop', definately gonna try some of that.
Good luck with your grow mate
All good things
TDA

Gog
22-04-11, 10:54 PM
Well it's been exactly one week since the seeds where put in to soil, in their 3" fiber pots, and this evening i have begun to see the root system bursting through the walls of the fiber pots. It took me by surprise really, i was expecting it to take at least 10-14 days, but there we go...

Tomorrows mission will now be to prepare my 2nd stage soil mix, and pot up to the final grow pots. They will then go into the green house, hopefully grow big and strong and provide me with a decent supply of organic medication :)

I will hopefully post some pictures tomorrow. There's not much to see really, but I might as well get some pictures up, so that growth rate can be tracked and compared over the next 7-10 weeks.

At this point in time the green o matics are still slightly ahead in terms of size, but only very slightly. Both strains have had two feedings of maxicrop so far, but no extra NPK as yet, maybe in a week or so... There has certainly been more growth bellow ground than above, but that is normal. Good roots build good plants, but great roots build great plants.

Gog
24-04-11, 01:02 AM
Ok, finally got some pictures :) I've never posted a picture on here so I hope this works.

Here are the 3 Green o matics at one week old;

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/danieltallon/IMAG0077.jpg?t=1303600561
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/danieltallon/IMAG0079.jpg?t=1303600623

Now the 3 Big Buddha's;

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/danieltallon/IMAG0078.jpg?t=1303600706
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/danieltallon/IMAG0080.jpg?t=1303600755

As I said yesterday, although the plants are still tiny at the moment, the root systems had filled the fiber pots and a pot up was required. Here's a pic of the roots coming through the fiber pot;

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/danieltallon/IMAG0081.jpg?t=1303600963

Today i made up my 2nd soil mix. I have found this to be a good grow mix with other outdoor strains, so hopefully the auto's will like it too :)

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/danieltallon/IMAG0076.jpg?t=1303601184
I make the mix to the following recipe,
2 parts perlite,
4 parts John Innes #2,
2 handfuls of chicken manure pellets,
1 handful of bone meal.

I use the small pot (above the bone meal on the pic) as a measure for the perlite and soil, and put the mixture in to a bucket (seen to the far right of the pic). I thoroughly mix all the ingredients in the bucket, then tip it in to the 10L grow pots.

The fiber pots were then placed directly in to the center of the new pots, and completely surrounded and covered over with the new mix.

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/danieltallon/IMAG0084.jpg?t=1303601810

The pants have been labeled GOM1/2/3 (green o matic), and BB1/2/3 (Big Buddha). The ident stick is actually dual purpose too, they are bright yellow and sticky on the reverse to act as an insect trap.

The plants have been watered in using a mild dose of maxicrop. They are still indoors at the moment, I'm going to give them a few days to get accustomed to their new pots before putting them in the green house. I hope they all make it through the next few days and haven't been stressed to much. Fingers crossed.

Once in the green house, i will begin my organic feeding regime. Obviously starting with a very low dose, gradually working up. There is a lot of goodness in the soil mix though, so it will be weeks before they need a decent dose of liquid food. As mentioned in earlier post's, here's what I use;

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/danieltallon/IMAG0083.jpg?t=1303602964

I will let you all know how well they take to being potted up in a few days.
Thanks for reading :)

iice
24-04-11, 01:50 AM
sweet jus found this thread, will be watching :D

saafe

milton krest
24-04-11, 04:15 PM
Sounds good so far my man! Will be paying much attention too this thread........ as im attempting some Auto Critical Mass from Big Buddha this year in my greenhouse also (UK).

Good luck and happy growing........ and of course some toking!