PDA

View Full Version : Planning first grow few questions

smokeyjoe
04-08-08, 01:06 PM
Im planning on growing 10 northern lights I have a hps light which I think is 250 watt. Im thinking about buying a hydrogarden skinny grow tent 76cm 76cm 180cm will this be big enough for 10 northern lights? Do I need extractor fans? Anyone got a pic of one of these tents set up with lights fans and whatever else is needed? thanks

Couchlocked
04-08-08, 01:27 PM
Im planning on growing 10 northern lights I have a hps light which I think is 250 watt. Im thinking about buying a hydrogarden skinny grow tent 76cm 76cm 180cm will this be big enough for 10 northern lights? Do I need extractor fans? Anyone got a pic of one of these tents set up with lights fans and whatever else is needed? thanks

You will need a more powerful HPS light then that and a bigger tent.

smokeyjoe
04-08-08, 02:33 PM
Hello thanks. So is the 250 not powerful enough to grow weed or is it not powerful enough to grow that many plants?

bergkamp
04-08-08, 02:49 PM
a 250w is powerful enough to grow with acceptable results , but i doubt you would fit 10 fully grown plants under it.
if you are not growing feminised seeds you could start all ten off under it and then you will have some more room when you get rid of the males .
im currently growing 4 under a 200w enviro so a 250 hps should easily be able to manage 4 or 5 .
it all depends on what method you are going to use to grow them and how long you veg them for. have a look through the diaries of people that have a similar set up to what your thinking of to give you some ideas.

smokeyjoe
04-08-08, 03:56 PM
a 250w is powerful enough to grow with acceptable results , but i doubt you would fit 10 fully grown plants under it.
if you are not growing feminised seeds you could start all ten off under it and then you will have some more room when you get rid of the males .
im currently growing 4 under a 200w enviro so a 250 hps should easily be able to manage 4 or 5 .
it all depends on what method you are going to use to grow them and how long you veg them for. have a look through the diaries of people that have a similar set up to what your thinking of to give you some ideas.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. The seeds arent feminised so Ill do all 10. I was thinking of trying to force a few of them to flower early.cheers.

smokeyjoe
05-08-08, 10:29 AM
1 More question. Should I start the seeds under fluorescent lights rather than going straight to the hps?

Couchlocked
05-08-08, 10:44 AM
1 More question. Should I start the seeds under fluorescent lights rather than going straight to the hps?

Yes mate unless you want to buy a MH setup.

smokeyjoe
08-08-08, 06:32 PM
Yes mate unless you want to buy a MH setup.

Ok thanks Ive now got a couple of fluorescents. 1 more thing Im unclear about. How long do northern lights take from sowing to being ready for harvest? Im sure it varies depending on the growing conditions. Ive read 6-7 weeks but Im not sure if this is just the flowering period. cheers

Couchlocked
08-08-08, 06:56 PM
Ok thanks Ive now got a couple of fluorescents. 1 more thing Im unclear about. How long do northern lights take from sowing to being ready for harvest? Im sure it varies depending on the growing conditions. Ive read 6-7 weeks but Im not sure if this is just the flowering period. cheers

You should be looking at a 3 week veg or longer and around 8 to 9 weeks flower, my first ever grow was NL and I cropped at 8 weeks and tbh I should of let them go for another week or so but hey that was many moons ago and I was young. :p

smokeyjoe
10-08-08, 12:57 PM
You should be looking at a 3 week veg or longer and around 8 to 9 weeks flower, my first ever grow was NL and I cropped at 8 weeks and tbh I should of let them go for another week or so but hey that was many moons ago and I was young. :p

Yeah I know what you mean I was thinking of trying to get a crop asap but I think Ill try to control myself and let them go the distance maybe get a larger crop.

lkdj2003
11-08-08, 03:35 PM
Yeah I know what you mean I was thinking of trying to get a crop asap but I think Ill try to control myself and let them go the distance maybe get a larger crop.

Defo best letting them go full hog, or you will be disapointed if you chop to soon. http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

smokeyjoe
11-08-08, 07:21 PM
Exactly Id guess as well as losing the yield Id also lose some potency?

Anyway yet another question. Would a cupboard 74cm high 80cm wide and 60cm deep be ok for vegging? Im planning on fitting it with 2 125w envirolights thanks

Couchlocked
11-08-08, 07:53 PM
Exactly Id guess as well as losing the yield Id also lose some potency?

Anyway yet another question. Would a cupboard 74cm high 80cm wide and 60cm deep be ok for vegging? Im planning on fitting it with 2 125w envirolights thanks

Depends on the strain and for how long... though it's fine for seedlings.

smokeyjoe
11-08-08, 08:02 PM
Im going to grow northern lights and maybe ata tundra at a later date so I think theyre both pretty compact. I was going to veg for 3 weeks or maybe a month.

marijuanamat
12-08-08, 02:22 PM
You might as well get a 250w HPS rather then 2 x 125w CFL's as they use the same energy but the HPS puts out 28.000lm's while the CFL's only produce around 6.000lm to 8.000lm each depending on the CFL.

smokeyjoe
15-08-08, 06:52 PM
You might as well get a 250w HPS rather then 2 x 125w CFL's as they use the same energy but the HPS puts out 28.000lm's while the CFL's only produce around 6.000lm to 8.000lm each depending on the CFL.

Hello I do hava a 250w hps which Im going to use during the flowering stage. I thought blue spectrum fluorescents were good for veg?

I have another question. I have a vortice 100mm fan I bought to use in my tent once the plants are ready to flower. But at the moment Im converting a cupboard would the vortice extraction fan be overkill for this? If so what else would be suitable? thanks

normeo
16-08-08, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't say overkill, I'd say it was ideal.