PDA

View Full Version : lighting bulbs

spandexman
29-04-11, 09:00 AM
hi can anyone tell me which is better metal halide or high pressure sodium bulbs?
have been using hps bulbs for number of years and need new bulbs wondered if i should switch to halide
cheers

BarWench
29-04-11, 09:07 AM
.. Both Metal halide has alot of blue spectrum therefore its best to use it for vegging stage and hps for flowering.... or you get a duel spec HPS sunmaster are eally good...

Mr_Bimble
29-04-11, 10:22 AM
I've got all three types - MH, HPS & Dual spec HPS - and I've got a 250/400W switchable digital ballast that will run MH/HPS bulbs.

MH - blue spectrum, good for vegging, generates more heat and less lumens than the equivilent HPS.
HPS - red spectrum, good for flowering but can cause streaching if use for vegging.
Dual spectrum - mainly red spectrum with some added blue, supposed to prevent streaching.

So I'm vegging under a 250W MH and will switch to a 400W dual spectrum for flowering - theoretically you could go full grow on the dual spectrum bulb.

spandexman
29-04-11, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the reply! i have just joined this site so i will defo be asking more questions...