PDA

View Full Version : S&P extraction fans...

rndusername
10-05-11, 01:59 PM
I'm very wary of fan noise as my groom is out in the shed so I'm looking for the quietest solution possible!

Does anyone use the S&P (Soler and Palau) fans, the silent version or otherwise, and if so, are they as quiet as they should be? I've seen the smallest 'silent' version quoted at around 24db!

My tent is only small (60x60x120) so I'm hoping their reduced power will still be more than enough.

gbcheeky
10-05-11, 06:47 PM
I'm very wary of fan noise as my groom is out in the shed so I'm looking for the quietest solution possible!

Does anyone use the S&P (Soler and Palau) fans, the silent version or otherwise, and if so, are they as quiet as they should be? I've seen the smallest 'silent' version quoted at around 24db!
My tent is only small (60x60x120) so I'm hoping their reduced power will still be more than enough.

im using a ruck out in a shed, i used cockroaches silent fan guide, its around the forum somewere.. might come in usefull, although 24db is well quiet! compared to my fans

rndusername
10-05-11, 07:37 PM
Yeah, i've had a read of that, i'm a bit worried I may not have the room, or it will be really cramped in my setup.

They go down to 19db for the larger fans! I'm sure my normal clip-on fan makes more noise than that! Apparently that's the equivalent of "rustling leaves"!

rokerij
13-05-11, 08:51 AM
Bumpty......

Anyone else got more info/have used these?

rndusername
13-05-11, 08:18 PM
I would have thought someone MUST be using them! They're not a whole lot more expensive, about £25-30, and they're like half the noise rating. I know they don't shift nearly as much air, but for me, with a 60x60x120 tent, I can't see that being an issue at all.

The only thing i'm concerned about is when i attach a rhino to it, will it still enough air through...or won't that make much of a difference ?

Mr Swilly
13-05-11, 10:36 PM

i have a ruck and did the cockroach thing to quiten it, which is very effective, but the s&p was as quiet without the muffling. If you muffled an s&p i think you are getting into the silent territory. When the ruk packs up, its back to s&p for me

lemonhaze
11-08-11, 12:21 AM
just ordered a 5inch s&p td silent
let u no what its like when it gets delivered

amero
11-08-11, 01:32 AM
Let us know the dimensions aswell. I need a silent fan but not sure if the S&P fans will fit comfortably in my tent.

Anonymiss
11-08-11, 01:39 AM
Let us know the dimensions aswell. I need a silent fan but not sure if the S&P fans will fit comfortably in my tent.

Here you go:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/592/tdsilentdimensions.png

amero
11-08-11, 03:50 AM
Anonymiss Thanks for that, I reckon I may go with the 8" version.

dazed-n-confuzed
11-08-11, 07:11 AM
I have the 8" S&P fan pulling through a 10" filter, best investment I have ever made! It's LOADS quieter than my 6" RVK which has been silenced via Cocks guide.

amero
11-08-11, 12:25 PM
I have the 8" S&P fan pulling through a 10" filter, best investment I have ever made! It's LOADS quieter than my 6" RVK which has been silenced via Cocks guide.

A few quick questions if you dont mind...

Is it the "800m3/hr" you have?
Is it powerful enough to pull air if the ducting was about 2 metres long?
How loud would you say it is?
Any idea if it can be connected to a "speed step transformer" for those cold winter nights?
One of these...

http://www.fantronix.com/acatalog/str1_zm1.jpg

http://www.fantronix.com/acatalog/str1_zm2.jpg

Forest
11-08-11, 12:43 PM
it will be fine on a stepping trans much better on that then a dimmer switch speed controller

im going to try these fan when i have to buy the next ones

the "vents" mixed vent fans aren't very power full but they are much easier to keep the sound down
if any one is after a cheaper option if you use silencers or acoustic ducting they dont make hardly any sound and box them they are near silent

lemonhaze
13-08-11, 04:37 PM
got my s&p td silent 5inch yesterday
very nice fan alot less noise than my old ruck
put my acustic duct on it and it is near silent now
think it was well worth the extra money will be getting the 8 inch 1 next

Forest
13-08-11, 05:24 PM
they do sound just what i need boxing rucks havent cut it for me ive got a 8 and 2 6's when all on it not as quite as id like
must go look how much these are

choppey79
14-08-11, 09:26 AM
alright lads

I have 2 of the s and p fans

they are the dogs u will not get a better fan light weight, very low noise, very well made

the air getting sucked through my filter makes more noise than the fan

they are the best fan bar none rvk are old school good at there job but if you are looking for stelath s and p are the ones

choppey :)

amero
14-08-11, 11:38 AM
Im trying to find a suitable filter for my S&P fan (800m3/hr).
We all know the filter should be rated lower then the fan is marked for but the question is by how much...?

At the moment Im considering this setup...

SL TD800SILENT 8 Inch In Line Duct Extractor Fan - Silent 800m3/hr

with

200mm Rhino Pro Carbon Filter 1125m3/hr

Any opinions objections? Haha.