PDA

View Full Version : How do i wire Power Cable to E40 Light Socket??

RedWhiteBlueGreen
10-05-11, 06:44 PM
I've just bought a 250W CFL Light Bulb and also got separate, unwired mains power cable & separate ceramic E40 socket. They were selling them all pre-wired in the shop for £16 but i bought the 2 bits unwired together as it was tenner cheaper & i thought i could find info online on which wires go where. It turns out i was very wrong! Spent an hour browsing & can find nothing!503205032150322

Therefore, could anybody please tell me which wires go into which holes on the socket base?? Also, there are 3 wires on the mains cable (Neutral, Earth & Live), yet the socket only has 2 screws on its base to attach wires to. Which 2 do i need to wire in & what is best to do with the spare wire?? There's a brass coloured screw with "A" next to it (on right in pic) and a silver coloured screw with "3" next to it (on left in pic)

I have seen there's loads of different styles of E40 sockets, so if it helps u answer, i've attached pics of my socket base, socket inside & the 3 wires.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as i don't want to burn myself, the house or blow the mains or the bulb i just forked out on!

Thanks in advance!

RedWhiteBlueGreen
10-05-11, 06:46 PM
And sorry for the crap positioning of attached pics - didnt realise it went on where cursor is but my connection too slow to go thru it all again!

Thanks again for any answers!

RedWhiteBlueGreen
10-05-11, 09:25 PM
Lol! Actually, no need for answers as i've finally found it in THC Talk archives! Is good instructions with pics - not sure how to post links to it for anyone else interested, but it is there!

Thanks anyway tho peeps!

Bobby Digital
10-05-11, 09:28 PM
link away mate will help some people out im sure :)

RedWhiteBlueGreen
10-05-11, 11:11 PM
Doh! It's just taken me 15 mins to find again - Google does love bringing up irrelevant crap sometimes! (though i guess that's it genius too! anyway...)

And assuming i'm using the post links option correctly, u should be able to follow a good guide here: https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?8373-Guide-to-DIY-wiring-an-Envirolite&

I hope i linked in correctly, tho if anyone still needs to find the article, it was posted on 18/02/2009 by Cones247 & entitled "Guide to DIY wiring an Envirolite"

Good luck - probably one of the more physically important bits of info i'll read on here!

RedWhiteBlueGreen
10-05-11, 11:17 PM
Tho maybe someone could still answer one quick question for me please?! (as i thought i might not get a response posting on an archived articule)

In Cones helpful explanation, at the end, the Earth wire gets wired to the metal socket box (which is what i'll need to do) & all is good to go. But once u turn light on, my question is, is it safe to touch that metal box?? (i think being an Earth connection only it would be, but not sure). I don't really know much about electricity apart from that it hurts and didn't fancy doing the obvious test of whether it electrocutes or not!

Thanks!

Mr_Bimble
11-05-11, 04:33 PM
Provided you have made sure there are no stray wires poking out of the holes it'll be fine. As the metal box is earthed any current leaking to it would blow the fuse or trip the RCD.

I'd also reccomend fitting a rubber grommit to the wire so when it goes through the hole in the box the insulation doesn't get cut into.

The E40's I have, have a metal bracket across the back with two screw holes and they're great for screwing straight into wood (only for CFL's because of the heat from an HPS might scorch it).

RedWhiteBlueGreen
15-05-11, 11:04 AM
Ah! Nice one Mr Brimble - i appreciate it! And i like the tip about the rubber grommet - have loads kicking round i can use cheers. And was gonna screw it all onto a bit of wood as am planning on copying that homemade vegetable oil-can reflector that someone posted about on here. (apologies for forgetting their name off-hand!)

Cheers for the help man!