PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Brain anyone?

Sci-Pe
27-05-11, 08:46 AM
I saw this and thought it was fascinating imagine whats next....

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/brain-in-a-dish.php

This petri dish contains an artificial brain consisting of about 60 rat neurons. It's not much, but that doesn't stop the brain from having about 12 seconds worth of working memory, which is probably just long enough for it to start wondering what the heck it's doing in a petri dish anyway.

Zen Archer
27-05-11, 09:42 AM
Spooky! Like big empty eye sockets too. Not unlike your avatar mate lol. :) :)

Sci-Pe
27-05-11, 09:49 AM
yeah u just wanna draw a big smile on it dont ya

illearth67
27-05-11, 10:00 AM
I saw this and thought it was fascinating imagine whats next....

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/brain-in-a-dish.php

This petri dish contains an artificial brain consisting of about 60 rat neurons. It's not much, but that doesn't stop the brain from having about 12 seconds worth of working memory, which is probably just long enough for it to start wondering what the heck it's doing in a petri dish anyway.

Yes pretty freaky stuff there!
We hear the term "Artificial Intelligence" a lot these days usually referring to what is essentially an adaptable computer program capable of limited "learning".
These programs aren't true AI's and IMO a machine AI capable of performing like a Human brain is a very long way off but this research opens up the possibility of artificial organic AI's and that's a very interesting avenue of research that might yield results sooner than we think.
I think it's highly probable that the computers of the future will use organic neurons instead of micro chips which are now reaching their limits in terms of performance.

Hillbilly
27-05-11, 03:38 PM
12 seconds worth of working memory,

That's twice as long as some members on THC, I won't stay who they are as they wouldn't remember who they are any how,,, Where's Sativa Steve, on this one oh he probably forgot already.. lol

Tester
27-05-11, 05:33 PM
just think thats 9 seconds longer than a fish haha the artificial brain gets the petri dish the fish get the tank sounds fair