PDA

View Full Version : Quick questions about seeds

TheGreenMachine
08-06-11, 03:17 PM
I started growing LA conf x Skunk from seed. I took a cutting from a female seed plant when it was sexed and all subsequent cuts came from that.

I usually keep a mum for around 16 - 24 weeks then replace her with the best of the last cuttings I take.

My last grow gave me some seeds though there were no males involved.

Does this mean that they will be feminised as I believe that's how they do it?
Will they be more susceptible to hermy?
What generation would that make them?
And finally and probably a stupid question but does a plant have to go hermy to produce seeds when there are no males present? I presume so because the plant needs male pollen?

I've currently got 5 of these seeds germinating and in around 24hours 3 of them popped tap roots and 12 hours later, the last two have followed.
When I first did the original LA conf X Skunk seeds I got, they all germed within 24 hours and the fem ratio was 100% from the three original seeds.

I've carefully marked the three seeds that sprouted first as this is a trait I'd like to keep and I hope will be passed on and is a sign of strong plants.

Not bothered about them all being fems anyway as I want a male to experiment with.

Road_Runner
08-06-11, 04:14 PM
Does this mean that they will be feminised as I believe that's how they do it? - YES
Will they be more susceptible to hermy? - YES
What generation would that make them? - S1
And finally and probably a stupid question but does a plant have to go hermy to produce seeds when there are no males present? I presume so because the plant needs male pollen? - YES

TheGreenMachine
08-06-11, 05:53 PM
Does this mean that they will be feminised as I believe that's how they do it? - YES
Will they be more susceptible to hermy? - YES
What generation would that make them? - S1
And finally and probably a stupid question but does a plant have to go hermy to produce seeds when there are no males present? I presume so because the plant needs male pollen? - YES

Cheers mate.
I looked up S1 and it clued me up a lot.

bud_alzir
08-06-11, 06:04 PM
hi greenmachine how many seeds did she produce? if it's a few then chances are late in flower she has pushed a single male flower out of the end of a bud to compensate for no males to pollenate her.all the best:)

TheGreenMachine
08-06-11, 06:22 PM
Averaged about 10 - 15 seeds per plant.
Not many and not all plants I don't think.

Not sure which plants hermied as I didn't really notice until I was smoking the buds and kept finding them.
Not all were good, some were pale and weak and crushed under slight pressure.
I've picked out the best 5 I found and I've got them on some wet tissue.

I'm excited now to see how these grow up :D

bud_alzir
08-06-11, 06:45 PM
hi greenmachine sound like what i previously posted so hopefully the seeds should be fine and the later you chopped is the more chance of it happening as she has waited for pollen far to long for her liking by the sounds and you not spotting any male flowers during the grow makes it even more likely imo.all the best:)

babybud3232
08-06-11, 08:50 PM
hi greenmachine how many seeds did she produce? if it's a few then chances are late in flower she has pushed a single male flower out of the end of a bud to compensate for no males to pollenate her.all the best:)

Would these seeds b viable? As this has just happened 2 me,

marijuanamat
10-06-11, 11:59 AM
I can't see why they won't be viable.
TheGreenMachine are they originally from feminised seeds?
Chances are the seeds will be female but will have a % of hermaphroditism which could only be 1-2 male flowers per plant.You'll never know until they flower and they could be either S1 or S2 seed depending on how the original breeders produced the seed in the first place.I would suggest you don't use them for breeding as this trait will raise its ugly head in later generations and could be alot worse then just 1-2 male flowers on a female plant.

Road_Runner
10-06-11, 01:18 PM
Agreed with Matt,

They may be fine but what I'd be tempted to do is germ them and sex them and see what happens - I expect you'll get all 5 fems but they will have an inherrent tendency to hermie again.

If you get any male seeds, cross them with the female ones you get and use the resulting seeds for test grows....