PDA

View Full Version : best way to assure female

firemepoo
29-08-08, 04:51 PM
i was just wonderin what the best way is to make sure that plants are females.

is it light? at the mo i have em on 24/0 till it gets bigger then switching to 18/6
then 12/12 to start flower.

will the 24/0 stress the em to much?

thanks muchly

cornz
29-08-08, 07:29 PM
feminised seeds, really, thats it!!!
Or cuttings from a good female plant.

firemepoo
31-08-08, 02:07 AM
fair play man, ive planted one normal seed that my mate gave me.(a mixture of seeds. only 1 wasnt squished) the baggie sed swiss mix. its germed ima lettin it do its shit.

but as we talk ive got 2 cuttings of "big bud" from my dealer. (want to get my gf into the correct way of life). she likes brownies so ill give you a guess what ima gwan do wit some of my booood!:bigjoint: the rest is for me an ma broos for a heavy mash up day!:bigjoint::help::guitar:

this bit will deffo not apply for this forum but, me and the dude that im growin with have nearly a full bucket of golden teacher( shrooms)
will post a piccie if yeees want.

grassmaker
31-08-08, 06:35 AM
sex is not determined until the plant is 3 to 4 weeks old. I have also read that ethylene gas influences plants to be female. That's all plants, not just MJ.

put a banana at the base of your plant you want to be female.put it there when the plant is 3 weeks old & keep one there for two weeks.Then do the same again.

cornz
31-08-08, 08:44 AM
been doing a bit of reading on this, seems there are ways to increase chances of fems but its a bit hit and miss. Also, you can get hermies if not careful. I'm sticking with femmed seeds. Let the blokes in white coats mess with the chemicals. I'll just reap the benefits of their hard work.

Strider
31-08-08, 09:15 AM
A good deep potting pot that allows for a long initial taproot to spear down is rumoured to slew the odds in favour of females, i generally do this and i get 6/10 females generally, dunno if it helps any

on an odder note so are certain birth control pills are supposed to alter it as well....

Im sure i mind reading that there is a nice optimum soil temp to encourage females also, but can't remember if it (or ANY of what i've said) is really credible

after all, I said it

squaddiefarmer
03-09-08, 09:29 AM
fair play man, ive planted one normal seed that my mate gave me.(a mixture of seeds. only 1 wasnt squished) the baggie sed swiss mix. its germed ima lettin it do its shit.

but as we talk ive got 2 cuttings of "big bud" from my dealer. (want to get my gf into the correct way of life). she likes brownies so ill give you a guess what ima gwan do wit some of my booood!:bigjoint: the rest is for me an ma broos for a heavy mash up day!:bigjoint::help::guitar:

this bit will deffo not apply for this forum but, me and the dude that im growin with have nearly a full bucket of golden teacher( shrooms)
will post a piccie if yeees want.

Is that English? It was good of your dealer to give you a cutting though. How are you growing the mushrooms mate? Are you buying a standard grow kit or is there a more natural way to do it?

Congo Demus
03-09-08, 10:18 AM
Strider I&I readin Jorges Cervantes indoor Bible 2003 and I'm sure it does say in there under 85F increases female.
Congo Demus

marijuanamat
03-09-08, 03:42 PM
sex is not determined until the plant is 3 to 4 weeks old.

If that was entirly true you'd expect 100% males or 100% females if they were grown in the exact same enviroment?but you don't,and what about female seeds??
You don't buy a pack of normal seeds and use ethylene on them and expect 100% females do you,you'd still get an average M/F ratio.

It all happens when the pollen hits the female pistils.Females always contridute the x chromasone and males can add either x or y xx female and xy male.Enviroment does play a role in it but its mostly down to the genetics.

yavana
04-09-08, 11:00 AM
If that was entirly true you'd expect 100% males or 100% females if they were grown in the exact same enviroment?but you don't,and what about female seeds??
You don't buy a pack of normal seeds and use ethylene on them and expect 100% females do you,you'd still get an average M/F ratio.

It all happens when the pollen hits the female pistils.Females always contridute the x chromasone and males can add either x or y xx female and xy male.Enviroment does play a role in it but its mostly down to the genetics.

MJM, this seems to contradict that Russian 4-inch potting depth study that showed an increased female to male ratio than smaller pots (I think I read about the study from you way back when on EDIT). I don't know specifically about cannabis, but from genetics class, sex is most likely influenced primarily by genetics and secondarily by environment. Hermies would be another example of that enviro over genetics - they start out female and grow nanners to self-pollinate. There is a even a breed of deer that can change the gender of its male fetus to female if there is a food shortage or other stress (females being more likely to pass on genetic data in animals, it's the opposite with cannabis).

I'm willing to bet the same evolutionary mechanism can affect cannabis - a male cannabis plant is much more likely to make it to maturity and pass genetic data than a female. I think the potting depth study/story can be used to confirm it - a nice deep bed of soil would be perceived by a plant to be a land of plenty good for going girl whereas shallow soil might trick the plant into thinking there's a dead end. At least, this is what my stoner logic is telling me.

prr
14-09-08, 04:58 PM
:(ive got free cheese plant i am at the end of my forth week. thay dont smell the buds are very small just looks like white clumps of hairs the leaves are brouning at the top carnt see mucth rednes in the stem what could it be can some one help me i am using bio bloom

prr
14-09-08, 05:04 PM
ive got free cheese plants grown from feminised seeds is it posible thay can chang to male

THOMAS CHONG
14-09-08, 05:52 PM
they should be fine as long as you dont stress them to much and turn them hermy (male/female) just let nature take its course m8 they will be fine.