PDA

View Full Version : manipulating stretch

gbcheeky
20-07-11, 07:23 PM
alrite all..

been thinking of this idea for quite a while now and its been bugging me so though id ask, hopefully get some pros up in here to answer:)

When a plant is put into flower it stretches for roughly 2 weeks before starting flowering as we all know.

so would it be possible to put a plant into flowering (long before its near sexual maturity) and wait about 10 days so it has time to stretch but before it shows sex.

...take it back out into veg and keep it under the veg light for however long(example 10 days)
then put it back into flower so it stretch's again?

will it be possible to get the stretch from going into flower but take it out before it needs revegging???

would this cause too much stress on the plant?

GbCheeky

BenjaminVonGrimm
20-07-11, 08:07 PM
I don't fill the 'Pro' catergory by a long way.. But surely it can't be put into flower before it shows sex? Just a thought mate, Like the idea of it though, and hope you get a better answer!

Pugz
20-07-11, 08:10 PM
Im no pro neither but it rekon puttin a small plant thro that sort off stress may be to much
But im never one to piss on an idea before its be tryed
Ill wait for your diary lol

Stimpy
20-07-11, 08:14 PM
But surely it can't be put into flower before it shows sex?

From what I understand and from what I have done on this grow you can. Switching lights to 12/12 is what I would call 'putting it' into flower, sex showed and flowers started to form a week or two later.

rokerij
20-07-11, 08:23 PM
Simples. Yes it would stress the plant plenty, worse still it would stretch (possibly twice) like you say, problem being the stech would be full of stem stretch and not many bud sites etc.

So not great unless you want to flower a leggy lanky thang...

gbcheeky
20-07-11, 08:23 PM
I don't fill the 'Pro' catergory by a long way.. But surely it can't be put into flower before it shows sex? Just a thought mate, Like the idea of it though, and hope you get a better answer!

Np mate, putting a plant in to flower before it is sexually mature is fine mate, its force flowering it.

Im no pro neither but it rekon puttin a small plant thro that sort off stress may be to much
But im never one to piss on an idea before its be tryed
Ill wait for your diary lol
i did think this mate, it will be alot of stress i think? maybe
its gonna be something i might have to find out myself in the near future.. then again im not sure if i want the risk of a hermie in a room full of 8 girlys..

THE DUDE ABIDES
20-07-11, 08:24 PM
Not sure why you would want to do that gb. Unless I've misread your post, it seems you want a 'double' stretch, have you got a very tall groom or something?
Maybe I'm too stoned lol.
All good things
TDA

gbcheeky
20-07-11, 08:26 PM
i was thinking this but as i grow indica dominant/pure indica strains.. my plants never seem to stretch much on the stem but go mad when it comes to putting out sidebranches..

would this be the same??

and the sound of growing something lanky/leggy makes me feel sick lol! i love my sqaut plants, but was thinking of a way to basicly.. speed up growth in a way i suppose?

GbCheeky

gbcheeky
20-07-11, 08:32 PM
Not sure why you would want to do that gb. Unless I've misread your post, it seems you want a 'double' stretch, have you got a very tall groom or something?
Maybe I'm too stoned lol.
All good things
TDA

alrite TDA.. maybe im just mad but its being playing on my mind for ages.
at least if i find out its an awful idea ill stop thinking "is it possible" lol.

for example a 2 week old (from seed) plant that has yet to start growing its sidebranches properly, put into flower to make them side branches bush right out, put it back into veg cab, then back into flower. to get bigger plants, faster basicly?

sorry if im making no sence but i know what i mean hehe :smokie:

GbCheeky

rokerij
20-07-11, 08:33 PM
Speed up growth dood? ok

Lets start again................

What u askin is 'how do i get a better size/spread/buds! on my indy dom plants?'

gbcheeky
20-07-11, 08:37 PM
nah mate, im asking if what i asked would work lol:)
i know the answer to that would be veg longer, lst,top/fim ect ect...

BenjaminVonGrimm
20-07-11, 08:43 PM
Np mate, putting a plant in to flower before it is sexually mature is fine mate, its force flowering it.

Everyday's a school day :)

rokerij
20-07-11, 08:46 PM
Well one of us is way off cuz i aint mentioned any form of tie/top shit, im sayin do you want to stretch your indys cuz what ur sayin is gonna do just that

gbcheeky
20-07-11, 08:47 PM
i may not of explained it very well

this is a bit better

for example a 2 week old (from seed) plant that has yet to start growing its sidebranches, put into flower to make them side branches bush right out, put it back into veg cab, then back into flower. to get bigger plants, faster basicly?

i have put 3 afghan kush into the flower tent that were at this stage.. im just debating if to try pull one out in a few more days and giving it a try.. i know that the afghan kush can handle a beating lol.

GbCheeky

rokerij
20-07-11, 08:49 PM
i may not of explained it very well

GbCheeky

Now you gettin it :)

rokerij
20-07-11, 08:54 PM
Anyway, sometimes giving them longer dark/raising light etc can be gd & some ppl use these ideas. depends on strain & space etc & whether u want tall or bushy and various shit

up2nogood
20-07-11, 09:00 PM
alrite all..

been thinking of this idea for quite a while now and its been bugging me so though id ask, hopefully get some pros up in here to answer:)

When a plant is put into flower it stretches for roughly 2 weeks before starting flowering as we all know.

so would it be possible to put a plant into flowering (long before its near sexual maturity) and wait about 10 days so it has time to stretch but before it shows sex.

...take it back out into veg and keep it under the veg light for however long(example 10 days)
then put it back into flower so it stretch's again?

will it be possible to get the stretch from going into flower but take it out before it needs revegging???

would this cause too much stress on the plant?

GbCheeky

I see what you mean..you can off course put a plant under 12'12 before it reaches maturity.It will stretch for a while until you revert back to veg where it will slow down for a while then you could put it back into 12/12 again but the stress will be quite a lot mate and may actually not stretch again when put back into 12/12 but I am bit drunk at the moment so have to see what wert or others will say,I may be completly wrong..God this damn super skol lol ;)

gbcheeky
20-07-11, 09:58 PM
you were bang on the mark with that answer Up2, even with you being quite intoxicated :)

"i think up2 more or less nailed it.it will be stressfull as this is how you hermie a plant for seeds with light stressing ,it will probably take more than a couple of changes to hermie a plant but is quite risky .
letting it stretch will mean it has started flowering and reverting it to veg will send the message to change where the plant directs its energy,different hormones are being produced [like a teenager] and switching back more than once can be very stressfull especially if the genetics are not fully stable.

wert "

big thanks to everyone who input:smokie:

teutonic
20-07-11, 10:01 PM
well we dont want you ending up with a hugely stressed, stretched, perpetually petulant tenager of a plant do we mate? you'd have to talk to it, like what charles does. hehehe

Stimpy
20-07-11, 10:17 PM
GB, Aren't you lacking in some silverware there matey ??

gbcheeky
20-07-11, 10:23 PM
GB, Aren't you lacking in some silverware there matey ??

sorry mate i must be a bit slow today.. could you explain that a bit more.. in simpleton terms just for me lol.

Edit.. aaaaah i got it! my bling! lol god i am slow today.

up2nogood
20-07-11, 10:24 PM
there you go gbcheecky..2 awards in one go..

teutonic
20-07-11, 10:26 PM
well done gbcheeky your mum wud be proud :D
http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PMI1313.jpg

gbcheeky
20-07-11, 10:29 PM
there you go gbcheecky..2 awards in one go..
ah nice one up2.. grub got all the praise for that though as i thought it was him who sorted it..
i wndered why he didnt give me one of his Plant of the month medals:) as i asked so nicely to share.

spot on up2 mate thanks.. i feel like ALI G now boys!!!

GbCheeky

up2nogood
20-07-11, 10:30 PM
a few members are getting me mixed up with grub lol..

gbcheeky
20-07-11, 10:32 PM
a few members are getting me mixed up with grub lol..
oh nah mate it was coz i messaged him about 1 min before i got the PM from rags, asking about my medals
n then sent him another message saying.. "wow mate that was fast" lol:)

thanks again grub.. i mean up2:)

GbCheeky

iice
20-07-11, 10:38 PM
hi there man,

i think this is possible, im no pro, and on my first plants but i have one bag seed that i did exactly what you explaining, i flowerd for about a week and a half, it streched, and i put back into veg for about 3 weeks and then back to flower and is stretching again.

hope that helps

safe

gbcheeky
20-07-11, 10:44 PM
nice one mate.. yeh i would of given it a shot but theres no way im risking getting hermies..

(as my last grow ended up with 2 hermies)

cheers for the info though mate.. one day i might try it, just to try it..

i do enjoy testing things out, like its best to veg cuttings for a few weeks minimum before flowering..
So i chucked one straight into flower, just to see the end results myself..

GbCheeky

trumptummy
22-08-11, 05:39 PM
WTF why would you want to stretch any more than you have to? It's not a good thing .. or am I missing something?

Notorious WD
30-08-11, 08:23 PM
If you want em to stretch badly just keep your light as high up as poss and let the plants stretch that way to reach the lamp. I like em short an stocky myself so would never wanna do this but there you go, everyone to their own.