PDA

View Full Version : What size pots do you use for 12/12

spoonofinsanity
25-08-11, 05:04 PM
I'm just germing the seeds for my 12/12 from seed grow and i'm not sure on the pot size i'm gonna need.

I guess that you will need a bigger pot for plants that have a longer flowering time but what is the best happy medium i usually grow my autos in 6.5 pots but i've seen people growing in small 12/12 cabs like mine using smaller pots.

The prob i have is low head room in the groom so smaller pots gives more space for plants but i don't want to end up root bound and stunting the girls.

Gonna set up a little poll but anyones input on what they use would be great another prob is that i did a poll to choose the seeds and i have some very mixed flowering times now one being 13 weeks so that plant is gonna need some space.

Cavemanjah
26-08-11, 03:02 AM
massive pots loads of bondage if they get too tall maybe keep the sat dom one in a slightly smaller pot to intentionally stunt it

paul_sheff
26-08-11, 07:36 AM
hi ya mate, i would go for as big a pot as you can get away with and like cave says, tie the bitches up lol , i would say go with 11l's
i am hoping my next grow may well be a regular fem seed, ( got to many to decide on lol ) you have the same problem i know, ! in a 32L storage container in terra pro soil again, and see how big i can get her lol, ( when you see the size of my pineapple express auto in 18l pot i think you may well be supprised)

paul

firstauto
26-08-11, 08:48 AM
hello mate,10 to 15 litre pots and i,d ask about more as autos are best on 18/6 20/4 rather than 12/12 gl mate

Shades Of Green
26-08-11, 09:10 AM
Hey man I have been using 5 ltr pots for 12/12 from seed. Seem to do the job ok :)

Peace.

spoonofinsanity
26-08-11, 09:18 AM
Cheers caveman i have the girls in the 12/12 cab using an 18 litre pot as a table to bring them closer to the light and i think space would be well to tight i have some nice little 3 litre round pots which would be ideal for the size of the cab but to small for the plants it might have to be the 6.5's as i have a number of them which have been predrilled for lst from my last attempt at lst. If i do the 11's i reckon i'll only just cram 4 in the cab in total which will make perpetual harvest a bit difficult. I'll take some pics tonight of each pot in the cab to show the situation.
I saved on of my non auto flashs from the batch i had to spread around the country side and kill off she's been in the back garden for ever in an 11l pot so she'll need an 18 litre for flower which has just started got roots escaping the bottom of the pot!

First auto i not growing autos this time that was just saying i usually grow autos in 6.5 pots this time its photos on 12/12 from seed to compare the yields compared to some of the autos i've done.

Paul that 32 litre pot will be epic under the new penetrator got to get a diary on the go for that one i'd be subbed for sure.
cheers guys for the help.

spoonofinsanity
26-08-11, 12:28 PM
Right heres a pic of the cab with varying pots inside:
https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/2589/thumbs/26082011197.jpg (https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/86104/title/pot-selection-in-the-cab/cat/2589)
We have 3 litre round at the front left, 6.5 square behind that and 11l square in the middle and the 18 litre upside down as a table at the mo.
18 is just to big and the plants will have to 30cm tall max not ideal.
What do you think?

Cousin Red
26-08-11, 12:58 PM
Homemade hempy buckets made from three liter soda bottles.

Shades Of Green
26-08-11, 01:33 PM
What lights you going to be using? Reason I ask is I have just cropped 2 plants grown 12/12 from seed under a 250w hps vertical and a 125w cfl vertical.

One was in a round 5ltr pot and the other in a square 6.5ltr pot... They had hardly filled the pots with a massive amount of roots.

If you are running big lights,400w+ then bigger pots would be better as the plants would grow bigger/fatter making more roots I should imagine. For me though under the lights I used the pots used was just right.

Just letting you know my thoughts man :)

spoonofinsanity
26-08-11, 02:49 PM
The girls are under a t5 lightwave 2ft 4 tube veg light at the mo you can see it in the pics but that will soon be ripped out and be replaced with a 240w blackstar flowering led light. If i end up struggling with height they can be transfered to the flower tent under my 400 dual spec hid.
I agree with you on the hardly filling the pots roots wise i just chopped a flash that had a 4 week veg was over a metre tall and she wasn't root bound completely. Just checked out your 12/12 grow very nice i'll have to do some serious bondage if that the size to be expected. I reckon 5 litre pots or the 6.5 pots at the mo for this round of the 12/12
Then next round i'm gonna do a hempy bucket as an intro to hydro maybe a hempy and a soil and compare the growth. Can you use soil nutes in a hempy with perlite/vermiculite because that would make the experiment more controlled.
Got to start some hydro and get a feel for it as i'm going to branch into dwc for my next tent grow i think.

Found loads of options now as i'm trying to minimise the height of the pot to maximise the height the plants can have. My 6.5 pots are 230mm high the 11 litres are 260mm high. The 3 litres are probably a bit small for the grow so i'll leave them out.
Found some buckets for sale which are 190mm for a 5 litre and 225 high for a 10 litre. The 10's sound good as they're smaller than the 6.5 pots but much more room.
cheers for the help shades and everyone else what do think should i get some 10 litre buckets or some 5's aswell?

firstauto
26-08-11, 02:54 PM
how many seeds have you got in germing mate ?

dazza
26-08-11, 03:23 PM
I have cut the bottom off one of my pots with a scapel knife and placed it on top of the soil in another pot. When I flower, in maybe a few days, I need that extra root space

spoonofinsanity
26-08-11, 05:38 PM
First Auto i have 3 photos and two autos germing at the mo so far 4 of the 5 have popped there head and are on the way. Trust the ghs strawberry haze to play games lol.
dazza thats a good idea fella double potting can't really re-use the pots that easily when the bottom is missing from one tho. Might be worth a go.
I was just looking at 5 and 10 litre pots and you can get some nice low rider pots! 5 litre pots 180mm and 10 litre at 220mm. Might be worth getting some 10 litre buckets for a hempy project aswell tho. Hempy 5 or 10 litre ??

lil rasta
26-08-11, 09:16 PM
Look at my diary dude got a mixture to find out for myself 5L pots or 11L

Mr Swilly
26-08-11, 09:57 PM
Sorry, It's a daft question, a better metric is to associate the volume of soil with the amount of watts the light is.
I usually go 5-10 litres of soil per 100 watts of hid light, with 2-3 weeks veg, with 4-5 plants. Any more veg than that, I'd go 15 litres per 100 watts. If just one plant with a long veg, id stick to 10 litres. What size pots for 12/12 is how long is a piece of string territory.
Sorry to sound like an arse, but Just get on with it mate. Polls on every decision will end in disaster. Help is at hand along the way with a grow diary. So put the spoons down and put the beans innit uri. Lol.

spoonofinsanity
26-08-11, 10:20 PM
Beans are in mate 4 out of the 5 have popped so i have an chronic ryder and blue mystic auto's and at the mo a blue cheese and lemon skunk still waiting on the strawberry haze but i think she's not gonna germ. The autos aren't gonna be in the 12/12 cab so pot size doesn't matter for them.
The only reason i'm worrying for this is the very low head room in the cab i need max root space whilst maximising the plant growth height without touching the lights.
I'm gonna go for either the 5 litre short round pots or the 10 litre shorty's which are lower than the 6.5's i usually use.
Hempy bucket for future i've started these in soil and thats how they're gonna finish! Job Done i spent so much money on my stacks of bloody pots and now i need different ones.:smiliegojerkit:
On the plus i just got reminded that i left a lockable storage cabinet about the same dimensions as the mutant cab at the old mans renta house. So if i have problems with height i can transplant the cab internals into that and have 1m head room and then i don't need another mini veg tent i can just use the current little cab for veggy times.
Only prob its at my old mans in wales and i'm in england! But its a chance to visit cavemans place and have a real gander at his setup see if i should hook up my aircooled and upgrade to a 600 in the flower tent.

up2nogood
26-08-11, 10:21 PM
you won't be able to get a 11l pot in there with any plant unless you do some serious LST,ing, 6l would be ok to use and would give you more space to play with

spoonofinsanity
26-08-11, 11:28 PM
cheers up2 i have found some 10 litre pots that measure up 10mm shorter than my 6.5 squares so i'm gonna get some of them and also some even shorter 5 litre pots and have a go i can use the 5's to start if i get probs up to the 10's and i'll know for future reference.
Thanks for all the help people can't wait to get this on the go properly hope it doesn't take to long for the blackstar to make it from the us can't order it till payday next week hopefully it'll be here before they start to flower don't think the lightwave will have the minerals for flowering even with red spectrum tubes.

spoonofinsanity
27-08-11, 11:23 PM
My solution after going the garden centre and them not having any 10litre pots of the neccesary size was to come home and dig out the first pots i ever grew in got 3 27cm round green pots from the former focus i think they are about 7.5 litre and are smaller in height to the 6.5 squares and bang in the middle of the two sizes i was toying with.
Pots are sorted just got to wait on the light now was paid for this morning so hopefully be here next week or soon after.