PDA

View Full Version : carbon filer, is it overkill........

Dougal
10-09-11, 06:56 PM
Hi all,

Im currently planning my grow. Im looking at carbon filters at the moment.ill only be growing in a small space 24x19x40 inches.

looking to grow 4 plants with a 250 or 300 watt cfl using lst.

Ill be using pc fans for extraction an the same for intake.

looking at the rhino filters, would the smallest one they do be overkill for this?? or would i need stronger fans?

thanks for all and any help.

dougal

Grub
10-09-11, 07:03 PM
Just one plant on it's own will stink the house out towards the end of the grow mate. A carbon filter stops this.
I'd make space for it somewhere if I were you... unless of course you live in the middle of nowhere with no near neighbours and never have visitors. :)

niceneasy
10-09-11, 07:05 PM
You'll need it mate & ona will not cut it.

spot
10-09-11, 07:08 PM
You will need a bigger extraction fan for the filter to work as the pc fan will just not have enough power to be able to do anything once you stick a filter on the end of it.
Extraction is one of the main things you need to get rite when growing as it will control the humidity and temp an smell etc get this rite and your laughing.

Dougal
10-09-11, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Don't worry, Im under no illusion that i can get away without using a cf.

As i said Im planning, so wanna make sure i get the correct stuff from the off, rather than wasting time and money buying things twice.

thanks

dougal

Grub
10-09-11, 07:44 PM

As i said Im planning, so wanna make sure i get the correct stuff from the off, rather than wasting time and money buying things twice.

thanks

dougal

If only more newbie growers thought like you mate.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. ;)

spot
10-09-11, 07:50 PM

thanks

dougal

Wise move mate why wing it when you can fly first class.
Works out a lot less money if you buy rite once.

rokerij
10-09-11, 07:53 PM
Carbon filter is a must rly.

Would you drive your car fast with no seat-belt on? You could tbf. But why take the risk?

They used to say Clunk-click every trip ( i think!)

Now say - No SMELL, No sell, No tell = No cell..... :pissed: :gulp::leaf::leaf::leaf:

C 2 the J
17-09-11, 06:20 PM
defo get a CF dude, its a must have, fleabays the place to go for cheapness.

bodge
20-09-11, 11:37 AM
there are cheap filters on fleabay for around £20 - dont buy one of them ; i found they were very restrictive & would'nt even cope with the airflow from even my smaller 4" extractor, which also had the effect of trapping most of the heat instead of dissipating it (tho the filter was made of quite heavy pressed steel which would'nt help with heat transfer either, & it made it a bugger to support - mine was almost exactly 1/2 the weight...)

if you can afford the rhino buy one - i could'nt so i made my own which works just as well, & i was able to change the carbon after the 2nd grow just for paranoia's sake...
this solution would'nt suit everyone, so if in doubt buy the good one.

its also a good idea to make sure your filter can flow the same (or better still more) volume of air that your extractor will try & push (or pull depending on set-up) through it - i'm sure more than a few growers dont think about that...

a dopey tip that might be of use : when i had my filter off for a few days while i changed the carbon & reshuffled things i put a plug-in air freshener high up in my grow-closet near the extractor - this actually worked surprisingly well (warm air prob. helped) and the whole loft that i vent into was reeking of lavender instead of cannabis for days.....

mxc
20-09-11, 12:08 PM
Rhino filter is the only way to go. Budget ones are ok for a few weeks/months but dont last like a Rhino will and you can get it refilled after 18 months or so.

avoid the budget ones of you can

20-09-11, 06:15 PM
Rhino 4" filters are huge btw, I bought one and found out the size after. its about 35cm x 25cm not including the pipe connector bit.

Dougal
21-09-11, 01:53 PM
wow didnt realise they were that big!!!

jumpincactus
22-09-11, 05:22 AM
When selecting fans and filters be sure to at a minimum match the filters CFM capabilities or go higher. Most companies will have a cfm rating for the carbon filter. so if your filter can flow 500 cfm then get a fan rated for at least 500 cfm. I always go a little higher with the fan rating, more is better, remember also in setting up your ventilation to try to set up so the fan is pulling the air rather than pushing it. In other words, have the fan as close to the exhaut end as possible. It will be more efficient

Murdock
22-09-11, 05:30 AM
yip pc fans are no use for cf,s 4" minimum mate, just looking at the size of your grow room , you,l need to plan what kind of plants your going to grow as its not a big space for 4 plants

Dougal
22-09-11, 04:38 PM
Well my set up will be housed in a 3 drawer converted filing cabinet in the loft, its the only space ive got and ive got a low roof so my options are limited!!

I plan to use a heavy dose of lst on the plants to keep em short.

Ive got a 4 inch fan i 'acquired' from work, but it has no flow rating on it, and its a capacitor start one so dont think its any good for me as i want to be able to slow it down.

I really really want to go with pc fans as id like the cab to be fully self contained, aside from conceled piping for the intake and exhaust.

The cabs still in the build stage so ive got plenty of time to ponder ideas!!

I do have a small 4 inch pc style fan, but its a 240v one so has a lot more power. I used to grow in a double wardrode in my spare room until we had a baby, and all i used on that was the afore mentioned 4 inch 240v fan and a fish tank filter carbon pad stuck to the front, worked perfectly.

Thanks for all the input guys, it really is appreciated.